It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:33 pm

Post subject: Issues with MIDI IN signal from MPD232
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:41 am 

Hello,

I tried to connect my SX to my MPD232 so that I can use the note repeat/quantize function. Just to give an idea where I am - I already bought a separate MIDI cable and Power Supply for the MPD, so there is no USB cable plugged in. I also managed to connect the two devices (MIDI OUT on the MPD -> MIDI IN on the SX) using Channel 2 (USB A2 on the MPD) with the MPD's MIDI Clock set to Internal and I am partially able to trigger notes.

The issue is that not all notes are being triggered. For example B_2 on the MPD triggers A1 on the SX, C#_3 triggers A3 on the SX and so on. Unfortunately some notes like C_3 do not trigger anything and it should trigger A2 on the SX. Now one in every 3 or 4 notes does not do anything.

Additionally, the NOTE REPEAT function works, but it seems that it is missing some notes, when I trigger and hold a pad on the MPD.

The MIDI Cable is brand new and its length is 1.5m (around 5ft), which should not be too long for the signal to become weak. I am frankly without any further ideas on how to fix this. This is the first time ever I am trying to connect two MIDI devices together, until now I only had to deal with MIDI to PC with USB connection. Any help will be appreciated.

EDIT: I tried to search for all threads related to MIDI, but the site would not let me as it is a too common word... real helpful....

Post subject: Re: Issues with MIDI IN signal from MPD232
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:36 am 

I really need help with this one...

There are a lot of people here, who connect the 404 with another machine via midi. I am sure that some of those guys would at least have some ideas.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:45 pm 

check this:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1680

i use a korg padkontrol so i can't really help you more

https://youtu.be/P4wTn6x_vpA

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:28 am 

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I've read this post before I created my topic and I already did everything in the post. My issue becomes apparent after I connect and setup the two devices.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:56 pm 

I managed to fix the issue :D

I noticed that AKAI support provides update to the MPD232 firmware to some users with similar issues (v1.01), but it is not officially released. So I asked them about it, they provided the update and now it works flawlessly!

I have to say connecting those two devices really opens up the 404's possibilities. Now I can record quantized drums using the resample method by switching on the Note Repeat on the MPD and controlling the shuffle amount. No need to create patterns on the SP and then to record them externally and then to resample them back :D

[EDIT]

No! Nononononono! This isn't fair..

Roland 923487 : 0 Users

I cannot control the SP via midi while resample mode is on. This makes no sense. It triggers all pads with no issues while resample is not on, but once I select resample its like all messages from the MPD are cut off while the button is lit.

Can anyone, who uses external midi controller to .. well.. control the SP-404SX please confirm this?