It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:17 am

Post subject: changing fx realtime slight audio delay mystery
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:44 pm 

weve had and used a couple OG 404s, and usually route our live set through it, and with all of them ive noticed at times there is a slight delay or shifting back of the audio when changing which fx to use in realtime. has anybody experienced this before?

Post subject: Re: changing fx realtime slight audio delay mystery
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:34 pm 

Yes, i noticed that aswell. cheap dsp i guess. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:38 pm 

you think its all sp 404 OG ones?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:06 pm 

Does this happen while synced to MIDI, or does it also happen without it? If it's not a MIDI latency issue, then it could be the design of the DSP since the 404SX uses an improved DSP than the OG for seemless effects switching.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:05 pm 

i only had one sp 404 og in my hands, so i really cant tell, but i suppose that its all sp 404s considering what you are posting.
another thing i noticed is the delay when pitching down with mfx 24. so for example when i have some chops layed down on the pads and i apply mfx 24 to them there is silence before the sound is playing when pressing the pads. the silence gets less when turning knob one to the right, but the sound gets destroyed with artifacts. :D You guys experieced that aswell?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:49 pm 

distorted wrote:
Does this happen while synced to MIDI, or does it also happen without it? If it's not a MIDI latency issue, then it could be the design of the DSP since the 404SX uses an improved DSP than the OG for seemless effects switching.

na i think this is strictly feeding audio straight through the 404 in real time. and from what homies have described here i guess its got something to do with the DSP. so is it a fact the SX's DSP is smoother? oh well. half the reason i got an SP is cos im obsessed with the the vinyl sim on the OG :D :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:07 pm 

DESERT_HEAD wrote:
distorted wrote:

na i think this is strictly feeding audio straight through the 404 in real time. and from what homies have described here i guess its got something to do with the DSP. so is it a fact the SX's DSP is smoother? oh well. half the reason i got an SP is cos im obsessed with the the vinyl sim on the OG :D :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I never used the OG 404. But I recall the press release for the SX advertising the improved DSP and improved effects switching. That's one of the reasons I decided to buy the SX.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/sp-404sx/

I see that a lot of people prefer the Vinyl Sim on the OG 404. I haven't had the opportunity to compare the vinyl sim between the OG and the SX, and I can't recall why everyone prefers the OG. Can anyone tell me why the vinyl sim on the OG sounds better, and possible post some audio examples? I've been curious about the differences. Also, does the 303, 505, or the 555 have the same vinyl sim as the OG 404? I've been considering buying another SP to go along with my current setup, and that might help me make a decision down the road which model to buy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:59 pm 

distorted wrote:
DESERT_HEAD wrote:
distorted wrote:

I never used the OG 404. But I recall the press release for the SX advertising the improved DSP and improved effects switching. That's one of the reasons I decided to buy the SX.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/sp-404sx/

I see that a lot of people prefer the Vinyl Sim on the OG 404. I haven't had the opportunity to compare the vinyl sim between the OG and the SX, and I can't recall why everyone prefers the OG. Can anyone tell me why the vinyl sim on the OG sounds better, and possible post some audio examples? I've been curious about the differences. Also, does the 303, 505, or the 555 have the same vinyl sim as the OG 404? I've been considering buying another SP to go along with my current setup, and that might help me make a decision down the road which model to buy.

Hey. I am going to answer these questions only coming from what Inhave heard and my experience with the 555. The Og vinyl sim acts as more of a compressor than the vinyl sim on Sx. Think more like the vinyl sim on the 303. A whole lotta warmth. The 555 vinyl sim is the same as the Sx. Think a little colder. The 555 has a lo-fi compressor as well. But thats a post for the 555 has vanished topic.

not sure if the 505 has vinyl sim, but I know it has a lotta warmth in either the vinyl sim or its compressor. Think more in the 303, OG family. Pretty sure the Sx and 555 have the same effects processor or whatever, guts. Hope this helps. Peace

Oh yeah also some time back there was a thread of people posting samples of compressors and vinyl sim of different machines on same sample. I think ellaguru might have had something to do with the thread. Maybe he can dig it up and post it here. I will try to find it.