It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 pm

Post subject: Help with understanding effects and my sp404sx.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:58 pm 

Hey guys, Im still very new to my sp 404sx and was wondering if any of you have some good youtube videos that can help me understand how to use it, not so much basic stuff but more advanced stuff like using the effects and tricks that will help making beats come with ease, Anything helps. As much as i want to say reading the manual is helping alot of the stuff that i end up reading becomes jargon at times if i cant have a visual or audio to see what actually happens or how to actually apply what im hearing through effects to my beats. AKA im a visual learner.

Post subject: Re: Help with understanding effects and my sp404sx.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:48 pm 

Sure, there are videos out there, but your search entry is as good as mine.
The SP is both easy and straightforward and really deep. You get back what you put into it. Just make little beats for fun, your understanding of what goes on in videos will increase as you get familiar with the fundamentals. You will also get better at understanding what you hear here at sp-forums.

There are two basic methods for building beats. Using the sequencer or to resample yourself fingerdrumming live. Learn both, and learn how to combine them.

Don't be afraid to enter the battles. It took me a long time to get any votes, and I still suck, but the battles forces you to finish within a deadline and you'll get better fast.

The SP-forums archive is a goldmine of information and helpful tricks. Search for one effect at a time and you will find tips on how they are used. A lot of fx are used for totally different purposes than planned by Roland.

Last edited by janglesoul on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:57 pm 

For creative ideas, check out these threads of secrets:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13941

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3077

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:43 pm 

Good guy Jangle!

Need to take your advice about beat battles to heart, just hard to find the time (most the time). :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:31 pm 

medearis wrote:
Good guy Jangle!

Need to take your advice about beat battles to heart, just hard to find the time (most the time). :cry:

Cheers!
Well time, ain't that the truth. But every time I make a serious effort with the battles I take a big leap in my learning process. And it feels so good to finish something! (I even got a vote from MrDibiase on my last spbb. :D )

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:41 pm 

Hey guys thanx alot for the words of wisdom. Tbh the same day i made this post i ended up making two new beats completely new and original just from sitting there in front of the sp and just doing what feels right, i guess in the beginning as a newcomer it because i little confusing at times but tbh as long as you do what feels right it all works out, but thank you for the tips and lyncs. I plan on battling someone soon :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:53 pm 

@Jangle - Speaking of... think I'm going to give the microwave battle a shot this time. We shall see! But yeah, makes sense that you'd be leveling up from the battles. Friendly competition rawks! :idea:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:33 pm 

medearis wrote:
@Jangle - Speaking of... think I'm going to give the microwave battle a shot this time. We shall see! But yeah, makes sense that you'd be leveling up from the battles. Friendly competition rawks! :idea:

Definitely! And I think microwaves is the way to go. You force yourself to make decisions, and the mistakes you make - just make them work. Speed makes you fast and quantity will lead to quality. As you notice I'm the Yoda of beat making in theory. In reality I haven't made more beats than the ones on my SC, approx 10-15 = 1 per month since I got my first SP May last year. :lol: (...having kids, etc)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:35 pm 

gwadcips wrote:
Hey guys thanx alot for the words of wisdom. Tbh the same day i made this post i ended up making two new beats completely new and original just from sitting there in front of the sp and just doing what feels right, i guess in the beginning as a newcomer it because i little confusing at times but tbh as long as you do what feels right it all works out, but thank you for the tips and lyncs. I plan on battling someone soon :)

Just keep that flow going and you'll be the one delivering the wisdom - next month! See you in the battles!