It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:12 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:54 am 

I'm thinkin of getting a 404.

My planned setup would be one 1200 turntable, mixer (no fx return) and the 404( to play beats/samples and add effects to my scratches).

Will it be possible to play samples/patterns/beats while using the effects on an external sound source ?

If so, won't the samples be affected by the effects?

The kaoss3 is an alternative, but It might be too overkill for adding fx to just scratches. It's sample playing abilities seem limited as well.
I

Last edited by bats on Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:04 pm 

bats wrote:
Will it be possible to play samples/patterns/beats while using the effects on an external sound source ?

If so, won't the samples be affected by the effects?

I

Yes it's possible to play samples/patterns and apply an effect to the external source. You can specify one or more pads to use an effect. As you might know the external input has it's own pad too. The other samples won't be affected by the FX unless you want them to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:05 pm 

that's great ! thanks plexx.

One more thing, how good are the basic effects on the 404? can they hang with an efx500 or kaoss? if they are decent then I'm definitely gonna cop it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:35 am 

My advice is to actually check it out for yourself, fx and whether they sound good or not depends completely on the user. That said the 404 fx can seriously fuck up any sample beyond recognition but they can also breath life into a sample when used with moderation. I like 'em a lot good value for money imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:46 pm 

Its important to remember that the EFX500 and Kaoss Pad are dedicated effects units, so they beat the 404 in that department. Although the 404's effects are really great and usable, and offer heaps of high quality tweakability to any sound source.

However, The 404 is the best in my opinion because even though it has a tasty effects section, the sampling possibilities are practically endless. Its great because you can store hundreds of samples and have them all at your fingertips, and youll have the option to mutilate and jam with the effects. In contrast to the barely existent sampling possibilities on the efx500 and Kaoss Pad.

Its my main live tool, and im telling you, people be thinking that its some sort of magic box!

Last edited by J.Daniels on Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:21 pm 

Especially as all they see these days are Abelton Junkies!!

Seriously though, you can't go wrong with an SP. You may want to check out the 606 too, as it has way more performance options than the 404, for not much more cash. More effects engines, double the number of different effects, velocity-sensitive padss, more routing options and a D-Beam controller, for maximum 'magic box' effect...We use two of 'em on stage and it really rocks the house --- you should see the effect it has when you slowly build up a sample with BOTH hands into a huge wall of noise :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:53 am 

I always wanted a 606, but they were too expensive in australia.

Although im happy i settled on the 404 because it suits my live and performance need more. Its more portable and i can walk around while playing with it in my hands. and its easier to work with all my samples laid out and loaded already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:19 am 

I'm in Oz, and where I live there's only $200 ($120US) difference.....Which state are you in J?

Regardless, the 404 is still a mad as machine and not to be knocked!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:29 am 

most defianately!

im in sydney NSW, and the only price i could find were ones that were close to its retail of $1130. Which is double the price i paid for the 404!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:05 pm 

Ahhh you see the trick is that NOBODY pays retail for a 606. They are a much maligned piece of machinery! If you see one at your local music store you can be guaranteed that it has been sitting there for ages. I $750 for mine and my mate Simo only paid $700 (a couple of months later). I just said that I'd only heard bad things about it (which I had!) and down-played the fact that as soon as I touched it I wanted it. They had $1100 on it which I just laughed at. I left it for a couple of weeks and went back with 750 cash and pulled the 'ol "I'll take it off your hands for you" and waved the cash......you know how well cash works in music stores!! If not, come do your shopping in Melbourne mate!

Anyway I feel like I've derailed the thread now........The 404 will do a fantastic job of processing external audio in a live situation, and the RCA connections mean you can plug into the house mixer without any fuss (we need to take a sub-mixer, but that's another story) - the 404 was most definately designed for DJ's!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:57 am 

I'm mainly need the FX processor to tweak and add effects to my live scratches/turntable sounds. Will the SP-404 do a good job on this?

DJ Kilmore and Hahn of linkin park both use the kaoss and Z-trip uses the EFX500. Haven't seen anyone use an SP-404. But i'm considering it because I also need a good sampler. Kaoss 3 has a sampler but it might be too limited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:30 am 

all preference.

Really good effects, but limited to nearly non existent sampling abilities = KP3 or EFX500

Really good sampling abilities, but good effects that just arent in the same league as the KP3 or EFX500(but still pretty good) = 404

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:03 am 

hmmm....

I guess I should just get an Sp-404 and then combo it with Kaoss Mini (got all of Kaoss3's FX but w/o sampling ability for only $200) if i find the 404's fx inssuficient.

gonna cost me a total of $600.

Last edited by bats on Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:11 am 

Sounds like a good plan

www.myspace.com/djfrantic