It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:36 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:34 am 

I'm considering getting an SP-404 to use with a DAW. The idea is to sample and produce loops on the SP-404, for the hands on approach, and then copying the saved patterns into a DAW to do the final arangements.

The Roland website says;

"You can record audio directly into the SP-404, or import/export industry-standard WAV and AIF files via CompactFlash card."

does this alow me to export PATTERNS as WAV?

This would be ideal, as I'm mostly interested in a sequencer/sampler for the hands on approach, I can always add the final touch using a DAW.

Also, how does one track sequencing limit production?

I've read on these forums that you can mute sounds in a pattern, so that you can sample individual 'patterned sounds' onto a multitrack, does this also work with the export fuction?

How does saving work on the SP-404? As far as I understand all the samples and patterns for a song can be stored on the flash card, can this information be read on a computer, and backed up on my HDD or CDs etc.?

And finaly, if export doesn't work with patterns, what recording interface would you recommend?

Turntable - Numark PT-01

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:21 am 

qtek wrote:
I'm considering getting an SP-404 to use with a DAW. The idea is to sample and produce loops on the SP-404, for the hands on approach, and then copying the saved patterns into a DAW to do the final arangements.

The Roland website says;

"You can record audio directly into the SP-404, or import/export industry-standard WAV and AIF files via CompactFlash card."

does this alow me to export PATTERNS as WAV?

No

qtek wrote:
This would be ideal, as I'm mostly interested in a sequencer/sampler for the hands on approach, I can always add the final touch using a DAW.

Also, how does one track sequencing limit production?

IMHO: The only hardware related limitations are the available sampling time and number of notes in a pattern. All the other limitations are happening in the head of the user. Just check 5th elements full album produced solely on a 404.

qtek wrote:
I've read on these forums that you can mute sounds in a pattern, so that you can sample individual 'patterned sounds' onto a multitrack, does this also work with the export fuction?

No

qtek wrote:
How does saving work on the SP-404? As far as I understand all the samples and patterns for a song can be stored on the flash card, can this information be read on a computer, and backed up on my HDD or CDs etc.?

Yes

qtek wrote:
And finaly, if export doesn't work with patterns, what recording interface would you recommend?

Any audio interface or standalone recorder that accepts a stereo line level signal.