It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 am

Post subject: I wish the 404/sx could..
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:16 am 

resample from a "pause point"

for example i have a long sample on pad 1 and it is already marked once.. i want to resample something about 20 seconds into this sample on pad 1.. i wish to just pause the sample, press resample+record, and then unpause to continue from the pause point.

currently the method i use goes: copy pad / truncate / play for 20 seconds / mark / resample / delete "scratch" pad.

i often sample entire songs to one pad and chop on the SP alone which is why this feature would be really nice for my workflow

Post subject: Re: I wish the 404/sx could..
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:30 am 

haha maybe i ask for a bit much, i just saw a picture of 404og and noticed it has neither copy pad function nor pause function!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:26 am 

palm wine wrote:

currently the method i use goes: copy pad / truncate / play for 20 seconds / mark / resample / delete "scratch" pad.

i do that all the time.

BANDCAMP OF DOOM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:11 am 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

quote="wax inspektor"]alrighty ima try to break it down again...

let's say you have a sample some saying '1,2,3,4'
and () is the marked region

The 2 ways of marking:

start+end point
1.press sample
2.press mark / start point
3. press mark / end point
example: 1(2)34

start BUT no endpoint
1.press sample pad
2. press mark
3. PRESS SAMPLE PAD AGAIN
example:1(234)

can you make it until here??? I think SX users can't do that but I know you're oldschool...

I might repeat but if you mark your samples the second way you can release the mark point after you played the sample so that you you can set a new one right after that...

1234 -> 1(234) -> 12(34) -> 123(4)

example:
1(234) play the pad´+press mark and the sample will start from '2'... let it play until '3' press mark / press pad and you have 12(34) / resample the 3 / release the mark and so on... I reached my limit dude.. sorry :lol:

*gave a little pm lesson, maybe that one is better...
[quote="Wax Inspektor"]Alright Ima try to explain but my wordpool is kinda limited... so here we go:

there are 2 ways of marking a sample:

X = point
O= sample

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:14 am 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

^^ how to chop from mark to mark on 404, courtesy Wax Inspektor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:59 pm 

aha the famous wax chopping method ... yes, the marking part works the same way on SX. (so actually, when wax said "I think SX users can't do that but I know you're oldschool..." -- actually yes SX does do it.)

but the RELEASE of the mark point and setting a new one right after that -- that part is what is different on the SX.

on the SX when you release the mark point, the pad plays from the beginning. every time.

so let's say you have your sample marked, and then here's what happens:

(quick note- the numbers in the diagram show what you are hearing, and the ( ) shows what is being marked)

on the 404 OG (and the 303) you release the mark, and the sample continues playing:
1234 -> 1(234)[release mark, keeps playing]-> 2(34)[release mark, keeps playing]-> 3(4)

now on the 404 SX you release the mark and the sample plays from the beginning each time:
1234 -> 1(234)[release mark, plays from beginning]-> 12(34)[release mark, plays from beginning again]-> 123(4)

the beginning of my sample is long, so i complain..hehe. i am probably using the SP in a different way than most people though -- i'm a horn player and just use the sampler as a tool to go through songs and transcribe them.. so my main method is usually to sample a whole song to one pad, then quickly set up a few "scratch pads" ie copies of pad 1, and then just chop and truncate and copy and resample and whittle those scratch pads down to the various horn/rhythm parts that i want to transcribe and loop. (so, organized visually, i'll often keep the entire song on pad 1, copy it to pads 2,3,4, and then start chopping those pads into smaller excerpts and lay those samples down on pads 5-12).

do you guys do this too? meaning, start with a whole song on one pad and use a "whittle method" of chopping down a song to samples that you like? you probably wouldn't do that when you're making your own tracks and sampling bass lines or breaks or horn stabs or random stuff off vinyl/tv/whatever, but i think an analogy for beat makers is when you get your battle samples -- do you put the whole song on pad 1 and then chop within the unit entirely, or do you sample small pieces here and there and listen to it over and over on your computer or whatever?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:54 pm 

^That's generally what I do as well. I'll sample a song, maybe just half sometimes, onto pad 1 and then chop that into three smaller sections onto 2-4. Then I'll take specific bits that I want to use and sample them on the other pads. Chop up like 8 horn parts to make a cool hook with them. And sample a drum break, chop that up and make a new beat. Add bass... good to go. Then there's the whole world of resampling w/ effects... :D :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:03 pm 
Winner of Silver Medal
Winner of Silver Medal

SX method to try....no-mark method or post-mark method:

Pad 1 has original sample...set mark for first chop on pad one, resample from mark to end on pad 2. Set mark for pad three on pad 2. resample from mark to end on pad 3, etc. After you're done, go back to previous pads. Hold mark and push pad, let go of mark where you want the chop.

The sound gets dirtier overtime due to resampling (only 1 bit resampling doesn't downgrade over generations)...but it's good enough.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:29 pm 

Using copy is way better for the technique, then truncate.

BANDCAMP OF DOOM

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:14 pm 

!!How to do this on a SX!!

Wax inspektor technique on sx

Just figured this out, only had the sp a couple months, probably really useful for some peoples work flow.

1. resample your sample in reverse to another pad
2. reverse the newly reversed sample so it plays normally
3. hold mark button and play sample
4. press mark button again at desired point
5. repeat steps 3 & 4

This method basically tricks the sp into thinking it's marking the end point. but since the sample is playing in reverse it is marking the start.

Happy chopping~