It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 pm

Post subject: Turning a Drum Pattern into a Sample
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:22 pm 

Hey guys. I recently picked up a sp-404 and I'm fairly new to producing. I've been making my drums with the sequencer function because I like being able to quantize it and I feel like the loop is a lot tighter that way. is doing this a mistake? I've noticed that when I try to resample a loop I'm not able to play the pattern along with it to make sure it's in time. am I missing something? is there a way to turn a drum pattern into just a regular sample? any help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Turning a Drum Pattern into a Sample
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:25 am 

Hey man welcome to our top secret elite club of conspiracy and training camp battle dojo headquarters your question is not a bad one however has been answered a million times , the technical term is "resample sequencer". Sp 4o4 does not do this, so get a tape recorder or record your sequences into the computer or get another 404, this is real a real awesome trick because u save voices and you can filter and stuff do mutes on the sample when you slap it back into the sequencer. , You will notice u get a better mix too once the pattern is limited to tape and neutralized, it will also help you become a master recording engineer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:54 pm 

LO- wrote:
Hey man welcome to our top secret elite club of conspiracy and training camp battle dojo headquarters your question is not a bad one however has been answered a million times , the technical term is "resample sequencer". Sp 4o4 does not do this, so get a tape recorder or record your sequences into the computer or get another 404, this is real a real awesome trick because u save voices and you can filter and stuff do mutes on the sample when you slap it back into the sequencer. , You will notice u get a better mix too once the pattern is limited to tape and neutralized, it will also help you become a master recording engineer

Sorry about that man, I'll be sure to make better use of the search bar next time I have a question. Thanks for answering it anyways. On the topic of getting another sp-404, would you recommend an mpc2000 or 2000xl? Do you think getting one of those would be a waste considering I'd mainly be using it for drum patterns? Love the work flow of the 404 but the pads can sometimes be a pain in the ass.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:31 pm 

I own an SP-404SX and an MPC2000. They're a good combo since each machine can do what the other can't. I use the MPC for sequencing since it's a hell of a lot better. The SP don't have mute groups for hi hats. So when I need that feature, the MPC serves me well. For effects and resampling, the SP is quicker, easier, and the effects sound a lot better than the effects on the MPC's optional fx card. I like to start projects in the SP and be able to create anywhere I go. Then I'll sample it all into the MPC if I wanna add more in the way of sequencing and/or added hardware. For added sampling time and/or added polyphony, I have the MPC trigger the SP via MIDI.

If you don't need the MPC for any of those things I mentioned above, then you're better off with a MIDI pad controller like the Akai MPD series or the Korg PadKontrol which works well in my experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:55 am 

distorted wrote:
I own an SP-404SX and an MPC2000. They're a good combo since each machine can do what the other can't. I use the MPC for sequencing since it's a hell of a lot better. The SP don't have mute groups for hi hats. So when I need that feature, the MPC serves me well. For effects and resampling, the SP is quicker, easier, and the effects sound a lot better than the effects on the MPC's optional fx card. I like to start projects in the SP and be able to create anywhere I go. Then I'll sample it all into the MPC if I wanna add more in the way of sequencing and/or added hardware. For added sampling time and/or added polyphony, I have the MPC trigger the SP via MIDI.

If you don't need the MPC for any of those things I mentioned above, then you're better off with a MIDI pad controller like the Akai MPD series or the Korg PadKontrol which works well in my experience.

You may have just sold me on an MPC. Not being able to mute samples and the sequencer have been some problems I run into frequently. I've used my friends MPD and I loved the pads on those. If I don't end up getting an MPC I'll probably get an MPD and run it through midi and record into a DAW. I haven't really found my style of producing and integrating a computer into the process or going all hardware will probably decide whether or not I get one. Thank you this was very informative. Could I ask what price you would consider a good deal for an MPC2000?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:31 am 

You'll find them on ebay for around $300 in decent shape. Try to find one with the 8 output expansion if you can and make sure the display screen has no lines in it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:50 pm 

A cheaper method of providing yourself with sequencing technology, as well as some dope old school bass/drum sounds, is to cop a DR-202. It has the ability to MIDI connect to an SP, and also can be used to mute any part of a drum pattern. Also allows for sequencing (I think you can sequence like three things together??) Also has ability to record, though after that I'd recommend throwing it back onto the SP for effects and such. You can find them on eBay for significantly cheaper than a MPC2k