It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:22 pm

Post subject: sp-202 Boss?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:01 am 

Hey, I Just Bought an sp-202 today. I really love playing with it but I want use it for making live music. I have no experience with anything that has to do with composing music/beats. So I guess what I am saying is that I am looking for someone who can help me out here and there, essentially a tutor or something of the sorts.
If anyone has the free time to teach me I have the time to learn and I would really appreciate it.
John Thrax

Post subject: Re: sp-202 Boss?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:08 pm 

there are loads of tutorial type videos on youtube, recommend going there. 202 is very limited machine but can do alot if used right. do you have anything to record on, like a computer or tape deck??

http://spectrumhq.tumblr.com/
http://soundcloud.com/spectrumhq

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:36 pm 

I just got my sp303 today, but I had a sp202 back in the day. You're gonna need to track down the smart media cards, and you have to get the 5volt kind (2-4mb max). You'll want something to sample, so go to Radioshack, and either get a rca to headphone cable (about $15 or so(Ask them for a iPod to stereo cable)), or hook up some rca cables to a dj mixer and a turntable.

Then from there, you sample something you like, chop it a little (meaning slice off what you don't need), add an effect, and you're off. If you decide to get a drum machine of some sort, it will be the master and your sp202 can be slaved up to it with a midi cable. (You can get a keyboard to do this if you prefer) The sp202 is kind of limited compared to it's younger brothers (303,404, 505, 555, 606), but it did start the whole sp line, and you'll just have to live with it's limits. The hardest thing will be tracking down the memory cards, but if you have at least 2, you won't have to erase all your samples all the time.

That's all I can think of, so enjoy...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:58 pm 

Hey Thanks to both of you for responding. I'll be sure to re check youtube for videos. As for the sampling bit, i have the RCA cables to hook up to my computer and when i bought my sp-202 it came with one memory card. I've been thinking about getting the dr-202 as my drum machine because of its affordability but are there any others you would suggest?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:11 pm 

Depends on what kind of drum machine you're in the market for. The dr-202 is the perfect companion to the sp202 because it will trigger the samples from it(dr as master to the sp202 slaved with a midi cable). Others worth checking out are Boss, Korg, Yamaha, & zoom. If you've really got some bucks to spend, alot of people swear by Machinedrum, but they're not cheap. (usually $1500-1800, but check eBay for used ones). If you want a 808 emulation, there's one called Miami that sounds pretty close to the 808. But if you're new to all this, just get a drum machine you can afford, and learn it before you spend more on a more recent drum machine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:19 am 

Alright man, Thanks for all the useful advice.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:30 pm 

The 4mb 5 volt memory card can run you anywhere between $60-80 on eBay. There are at least 4 of them available there right now.

As far as drum machines, a Zoom RT-123 can be hard for less than $50 and you should have no problems slaving the SP-202 to it. Some of the more classic Boss/Roland drum machines such as the DR-660 and the DR-202 usually fetch $90-100 but you every now and then a deal will pop up. It doesn't hurt to haggle on Craigslist, either.

I've seen someone on this forum mention pairing the SP-202 with an Akai XR-20. That sounds like an interesting pair.