It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

Post subject: POP sound when I record samples??
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:08 pm 

Hello all and thank you in advance for any help...

Just got a sp202 off craigslist for cheap but every time a record a sample and then playback in loop setting there's a pop or clicking sound that was not present in the source sound making the loop unusable. It seems when I punch in or out of recording it captures an internal click or pop also. then the loop is useless. I can use the mark function to cut out that portion and it loops fine but then i would have to truncate every sample i make so i can loop them and that don't seem right.

any advice??

I 've used different power supplies and different amps but no change.

I also have a slight high pitched noise when samples are played back but i think it might be ok if i can just loop without that awful pop sound.

Thanks for the help!

Post subject: Re: POP sound when I record samples??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:22 pm 

Is the pop at the transition point, or is it within the sample? Like if you have a piano loop does it pop at the transition when it loops back to the begining, or does it pop in the middle of the piano loop?

Is the pop in the same place every time?

If it is within the sample, and not at the transition point of the loop, I would try to record some loops via the internal mic, and just mess around with them for a while, because that will help whether it's your cables or your sample source...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:27 am 
505 Award Winner '09

good advice ^^.

also, i can't remember how the 202's internal mic works, but make sure it's not recording while yr sampling. the pop could be the sound of you hitting the pad. this has happened to me w/ the 404.

post post post rock:
http://www.myspace.com/faunaflage | http://soundcloud.com/faunaflage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:38 pm 

The pop sound is at the transition point, where the end meets the start. It is not in the sample itself just the very beginning (or end), either when i press record or press it again to stop recording.

I'm using the line in and using different chords to test, there's a "source mix" switch that seems to have no effect on my issue.

A friend of mine believes its a grounding issue as his 202, 303, 404 all kinda do it a random times, the 404 less though. And my house outlets are not grounded and have notoriously dirty power so maybe this is my problem. I'll take it over to a different house to test this theory.

A guy at TapeOp forums said he's been using his 202 for 10 years live on stage and his loops seamless, but he has other issues that makes him not want to record new samples??!! But all I want to do is new samples each time I play, it's the whole point, no? ...to capture bits of sound on the fly!! ...and have them ready to replay as a loop without a noise louder than the original sample ruining it?!?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:58 pm 

If it's one pop noise at the transition point of the loop, and then not when the sample itself is playing, I'd be suprised if that is a power/grounding issue... That's easy to test without bringing it elsewhere, though, just throw some batteries in it and unplug the power... That way you can rule out the power completlely... If it's still doing it then sample using the internal mic, that way you can rule out the RCA cables leading to the REC IN and your sample source...

What you are describing sounds like an issue where the sample is not chopped right at the zero cross point, meaning the wav form is either at a peak or a valley at the start or end point, causing a clicking/popping noise when it loops around... Mess around with the mark button, and I'll bet you'll find that you can eliminate the pop just by re-marking the start and end points....

If you're trying to loop something, I would turn the loop feature off, then trigger, and make a mental note if the pop is at the start or end point... If it's at the start point, try to re-mark just the start, or if it's at the end, try to re-mark just the end point...

If you're trying to capture bits of audio on the fly and loop it seamlessly right on the spot, in a live type situation, I don't think the 202 is the best tool for the job. If you have pre-made loops ready to go you'll be able to accomplish what you want, though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:18 pm 

Ok so tried with batteries, great idea, duh, and it's not grounding or dirty power. Still get loud pop sound at loop point with int. mic. Even using the mark it pops most of the time, just in a new place.!! In fact as I play pad to pad like a drum beat, every third hit will have a pop at the start of the sample even without looping.

So I understand zero crossing but why can all newer loop pedals sample fine with out artifacts and no sound at the loop no matter what sound?

Anyhow my main issue now with my 202 is high pitch ringing when recording new samples. It's worse than the pops almost??! Batteries or not.

So I might try and find another cheap 202 and see if it's as bad. I'm really starting to like this thing but the sound issues are killing me!

Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:27 am 
505 Award Winner '09

that high pitch sound is trouble. never had it but it seems to be (from comments on here) a sign that the end is nigh. sorry dude.

i thought i'd say, the 202 is great - i have one - but if yr looking to maybe pick up another to replace the one you have, you should consider getting a 303, 505 or 404. they're more expensive (but still pretty cheap) and the functionality improvement is considerable.

again, i love my 202, but i thought it was worth sayin'.

good luck with it all.

post post post rock:
http://www.myspace.com/faunaflage | http://soundcloud.com/faunaflage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:16 pm 

The pop noise is something that all Roland samplers got. It just means that you gotta tighten up your start and end points. Sometimes I leave it because it sounds like vinyl pop, but it can be banished with tighter points 95% of the time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:51 pm 

turn up the source of your sample so the red light comes on or blinks when you record... popping solved

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:09 am 

lol... :mrgreen:

If you DONT want distorted samples, you just record a bit of extra time at the end of the sample and slowly move the end back until it loops without making the pop noise (or being as quiet as possible) - get it as quiet as possible using the end control (remember there will be multiple peaks/troughs, so in order to get the quietest possible, as you move the end point back it might go like this:

quiet, loud, quiet, loud, really quiet, loud, silent.

Then if you can't get it completely silent, try and alter the start point as well.

The reason why most looper pedals don't do this is because they add a tiny little (~5-10ms) fade out/fade in on the volume at the start/end.