It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

Post subject: cool things about the 202
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:37 am 

I actually own 2 of them because they are so cheap. It was my first sampler ever. I bought it on ebay, having really no idea what a sampler was, only that I wanted more variety as far as sound sources. The 202 is such an awesome piece of crap. Its limitations force you to be creative, which is a plus.

The thing about the 202 is that you cannot use it like you would a normal sampler. You can't treat it like a crappy 303 or 404, etc. and especially not like an akai. You have to meet it on the 202's own level.

Here are some thing I use it for:
short tonal bursts - the easiest thing to do is sample your voice. Then I run the 202 through some delay pedals and other things and I have a completely unique synth based on organic sound.

over using the mark function - doing a really fast mark and then putting on loop sounds amazing. This is another way to achieve a unique synth sound. I'm also a really big fan of sampling a short phrase, and then marking it to only one word and looping it. Chanting rules.

the filters - the built in filters on the 202 are unbeatable. I feel like the effects get crappier as the series gets more functional. Best filters ever.

Those three simple applications are well worth the $50 or so dollars you can spend on this little machine. I think anybody interested in sampling should own this, just to see what rock bottom can be like. I've heard of several people making complete albums using the 202, so there's really no reason to complain about any of its features. Creativity is problem solving man.

Post subject: Re: cool things about the 202
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:20 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

catbones wrote:

the filters - the built in filters on the 202 are unbeatable. I feel like the effects get crappier as the series gets more functional. Best filters ever.

co-sign ^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:14 am 

the filters are amazing. having only one control knob is also awesomely simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:05 am 
Funniest Member of the Year '09

yea because the filter is not as powerful ,

it reminds me of daft punk for some reason.