It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 pm

Post subject: sp202 high-pitcfhed noise?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:17 am 

i just found of these little guys for $20 at an op-shop, and it's pretty much perfect for all i want to do...

however there seems to be a pretty loud high-pitched hum when i use it. i'[m using the supplied boss adaptor and everything. it's the same with batteries as well. right now i just put a noise gate on it, but it's a little bit annoying when i'm using quiet sounds etc.

i thought maybe it was just because it was a cheap bit of gear - but after reading that cornelius, clouddead etc have used them on records and live i thought it can't be. especially if you were playing live really loudly it would be a pretty big problem. i mean, you can hear it at a very moderate volume.

is there anything i can do about this? i'm planning on getting a sp404 perhaps in the future, but right now i like the simple-ness of this little thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:41 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

sounds like the box is fucked, mans. sorry. my 202 doesn't have any prob like that. possibly it is yr cabling, or the rca outs? do a test and see if it makes the hum via phones and the outputs, change cables, etc.
good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:32 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

I bet the signal interference is coming directly from the circuit board and not cables if it was in a op-shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:19 pm 

no, it's the same via phones or the cables... damn :( ah well, the 404 is probably my best bet now.

if it's inference from the circuit board itself - is there anything i can do? or does that mean that it's officially "fucked" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:12 am 

when your using it with batteries you'll always hear that hum, but you can use the filters to fix your prob.

There's a diff I used to notice years ago when I'd use batteries and then have it plugged up to the wall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:09 am 
Funniest Member of the Year '09

i remember using the wrong adapter and it made the samples sound crazy ass tripple ring modded when no fx were on.

oh boy i learned my lesson about wrong adapters .

about a 700 dollar lesson

lets see , i fried my br 1180, my roland ms 1 , my portable turntable. i think thats it. i refuse to even dare mess with wrong adapters . id rather not use the peice then risk frying it .

my 404 adapter works on my br 864 , but im scared it might over load it . so the br 864 is put away for now. better safe then sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:08 pm 

my 202 actually does the same thing, but only with the headphone jack. the rca out works fine though.

Post subject: Re: sp202 high-pitcfhed noise?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:34 am 

Mine does it too, but I think it's just aliasing of the background noise or something like that, and it's more obvious in periods of silence.

It does it through both the line and headphone outputs, but it can be minimized if you use the line inputs with a mixer if you use a microphone because the internal pre-amp adds a lot of noise. That kind of defeats the purpose of having a battery-powered sampler for recording samples, but at least it can sound decent.

Post subject: Re: sp202 high-pitcfhed noise?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:06 am 

To me it always seemed like the hi-fi mode was most prone to these high pitched noises