It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:57 pm

Post subject: is there a tempo to bpm formula anyone uses ?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:37 am 

I'm curious, I do it by ear and it's fine, but I record samples--from LP-- to my 202 at 45rpm.. then I shift the pitch all the way down to get the original sound.. does anyone know if there is a perfectly accurate way to shift the pitch down so it sounds like the original recording ?

Post subject: Re: is there a tempo to bpm formula anyone uses ?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:28 pm 

Hi,

I don't own a 202 but will try to help-
Why do you record them at 45rpm? Are they 33rpm records? I'm sure you have a reason but playing them at normal speed to begin with would be best.

I have a 404sx and what I have just started to do is keep a sample on the last bank/pad with notes from a piano- first whole notes (white keys) then the half steps (black keys) and I play this along with a sample I am trying to re-pitch to stay in tune with A/440. This won't work for samples that are not based in A/440 (like some Boards Of Canada the whole song is pitched and is no longer A/440)

Sounds like turning the pitch all the way down gets you pretty close- my guess is that is likely the best you will get. The knobs are not digital or detented so I don't see any way to make it quicker aside from making marks around your knob to indicate. I did this with an analog delay pedal I own, I used white tape and marked all the important places where the pitch was shifted in key- octave, fifth, etc. That way I could quickly re tune a sample quickly and stay in key.

C

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:00 pm 

Thanks for responding, I will probably use your tuning method for some other tasks, never thought to do something like that.

I am doing this on my 202 with drum breaks only. I have a 404 to, all the drums are bounced there afterwards.

I use the 202 to get my drums how i like them and I record in 45 and pitch down for Two reasons for doing it : 1) saves sample time 2) pitching down creates nice artifacts and give the drums the sound I'm looking for.

I'm happy with the output I've been getting, I've been doing this for a while, just curious if there is a mathematical way to figure this out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:06 pm 

it doesn't help that the title of my thread is a typo lol

pitch to bpm not tempo to bpm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:42 pm 

Tempo and BPM are the same thing. Maybe you are thinking of the rpm of the record which is irrelevant to whatever is on the record itself in terms of BPM/tempo. Obviously the faster the rpm the faster the tempo/BPM but there is no relationship other than that.

If you had a C note on a record at 33 1/3 rpm, sampled it at 45rpm, and then detuned it back to the original C note (you could use a guitar tuner or software on smartphone or computer) you could then make an accurate mark on the knob/dial to show where you have to adjust to get your 45rpm recordings back to 33 1/3 rpm (original) sound. This would be important to do with -your- equipment because different 202 and different record players will work slightly differently and have different drive motor speeds (unless you have a record player w strobe adjust which is very accurate)

C