It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

Post subject: worth owning two ?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:51 pm 

I'm thinking about getting a second 202 for resampling and some other ideas I'm thinking about but I'm already using a 404 which is a great partner for the 202...

so is another 202 realistically redundant if I'm already paired with a 404 or is there something I may be missing that can only be achieved with two 202s ?

I have a 505 to but i like it as standalone only maybe because it lacks the kind of simplicity I'm looking for when I'm working with 202 (or 303 & 404)...

Post subject: Re: worth owning two ?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:40 am 

I own 4. One for the road that tags along with an MS-1 and SU-10. One for the studio, one stays connected to the TV, and one for parts. Yeah, I'd say it's worth having two (or more).

For my portable SU/MS/202 "workstation", I use the 202 for drums and basslines. The Standard and Lo-Fi 1 settings, pitch function, and Low End Filter on the 202 are the best in the SP line, hands down. Lo-Fi 2 sounds a bit fuzzy, in my opinion. The one connected to the TV is pretty self explanatory. I always have one that's the bridge from my mixer to the ASR.

Last edited by boombapp28 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:22 pm 

boombapp28 wrote:
I own 4. One for the road that tags along with an MS-1 and SU-10. One for the studio, one stays connected to the TV, and one for parts. Yeah, I'd say it's worth having two (or more).

RP is the 202 man!!

boombapp28 wrote:
The Standard setting, pitch function, and Low End Filter on the 202 are the best in the SP line, hands down.

i cannot not confirm that: sp202 filters are the best filters on sp family. pitch too (not that difficult: standard pitch doesn't exists on the other sps :) , maybe just on sp808, i don't know)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:55 pm 

thanks for responding guys,

I'm thinking more about practical applications using two (or more) together and if it is redundant since I own a 404 and can resample into the 404 and back into the 202.. any ideas ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:51 am 

If you've got a 404 and 202, you should be good to go. No reason to buy another 202. As mentioned, I have multiple 202s for various different uses but if you were trying to pair two 202s, you'd be better off staying with the 404/202 set-up that you've got. You can most certainly achieve more with what you already have.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:50 pm 

I keep my turntable plugged into the 404 and later I decided which samples need to run through the 202 and back to the 404.. I like to sequence on my mac with Reason...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:09 am 

Yo I was really addicted to a 202 x 404 duet wammy thingy for a while and thought about getting another 202 just for the cute fun of having two 202s to sample into...

Boombap have you ever made beats JUST with two 202s? How's that gone? I can't believe you have 4. Im jealous actually. It's my favorite sp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:02 pm 

Limpid, I did fool around with a 2x SP-202 set up a few years ago. I had used my friend's loop pedal along with the 202s, some Y connectors, and excessive amounts of cords/adapters. It was interesting to say the least. I would like to rock a 2x SP-202 set with the loop pedal in the future. I would loop up the drums via the pedal and layer/play/effect the samples live. The pedal also came in handy as an FX box. I had about 6 or 7 beats spread out on the two 202s and made a little live set out of them. I remember that session being very sporadic. I was lucky to have brought the SP's with me that night.

I have a whole bunch of projects that I'm working on at the moment but I do hope to revisit the 2x SP-202 and loop pedal experiment.

The 202 is my favorite SP as well. Whatever you put into it come out sounding grimey, raw, and very crunchy even in Hi-Fi mode but my go to's are standard and Lo-Fi 1. If the 202 had a pattern sequencer or a little more functionality like its predecessor the MS-1, it would be the most sought after SP, without a doubt. It surprises me that Boss/Roland didn't even bother to put a dinky little sequencer on the 202.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:09 am 

I own a 505, want a 404/555, but I think I'd settle for a 202. And it sounds like fun to own multiple 202's for just the most basic setup you can get. (Love the idea of routing some cables from the TV into the SP202. Just find some weird stuff to watch, sample it, and copy it to another for more grit).

If I get a decent digital recorder, I'd just skip the smart media cards.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:46 am 

It really can't hurt to implement a second 202.

Overtime they're just becoming more and more valuable and sought after..

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:09 am 

Definitely. The ones who whine or complain what it can't do, or think sounds like crud, are going to be the ones who will sell it for cheap, and then later will kick themselves for when they see how high the demand goes when they get rare.

The Smartmedia cards might get worth more than the 202's if they become rare enough. The perfect solutions are dump to your DAW/digital recorder, or a newer SP.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:06 am 

Getting my 202 at the end of the month, along with a Electrix FilterFactory, Korg Kaosspad mini, & a Teenage Engineering P.O. Tonic.

But I’ll be having fun freqing, mutating, chopping the 5 Pocket Operators run altogether, downgrading the sample rate for the grit, and using a little 505 for extra effects. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:09 pm 

boombapp28 wrote:
The Standard and Lo-Fi 1 settings, pitch function, and Low End Filter on the 202 are the best in the SP line, hands down.

202 pitch is the G.O.A.T.

personally i always make beats on it in hifi setting, the other sample rates are waaaayyy too dirty for my style of beats ahahaha. also, i don't really fuck with the filters tbh

one thing that's wild is my 202 is in better condition than my 303 and my 404sx ahahaha it's so mint it gets me hard :lol: :lol: :lol:

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:26 am 

202 sucks. It's rated by scenesters, born too late.

SP-303
SP-303SX
SP-202A

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:20 am 

SP RT FKN wrote:
202 sucks. It's rated by scenesters, born too late.
Hipsters