It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:58 am

Post subject: MV Side-Kick?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:38 pm 

Whats a good side-kick for the MV-8800?

Post subject: Re: MV Side-Kick?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:40 pm 
MV Award Winner '09

It depends on your preferences. Personally I just got a Roland SC-88 PRO midi sound module. It has 1117 patches all available instantly and the sound is excellent. Really remarkable instrument if you're looking for some general sounds (pianos, flutes, strings, bases, drums, some synths, etc.). Midi it up to the MV and you're ready to go. No more sample loading time and patch preview.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:27 am 

Olby wrote:
It depends on your preferences. Personally I just got a Roland SC-88 PRO midi sound module. It has 1117 patches all available instantly and the sound is excellent. Really remarkable instrument if you're looking for some general sounds (pianos, flutes, strings, bases, drums, some synths, etc.). Midi it up to the MV and you're ready to go. No more sample loading time and patch preview.

Ecatcly what i had in mind more pianoes, basses, horns more stuff to lay down over my beats!!!! Have a microkorg but only thing i like it for is bassline an some dope west coast whistle type sounds!!!!

Thanks Olby!!!!

Any One Else?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:39 pm 

I use to have my MV sided with the SP303, then the 606. But as I dissect the beast more and more, the only thing I use now is a DJ mixer where I connect my turntable and cd players and connected into the MV. It has become a King-Sized SP with an 8 track recorder that I don't need nothing more. With the DJ mixer I can filter the sounds going into the MV.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:20 am 

Ill Green wrote:
I use to have my MV sided with the SP303, then the 606. But as I dissect the beast more and more, the only thing I use now is a DJ mixer where I connect my turntable and cd players and connected into the MV. It has become a King-Sized SP with an 8 track recorder that I don't need nothing more. With the DJ mixer I can filter the sounds going into the MV.

Yup have that on lock!!! Jus looking for more sounds cuz the "stock" Sounds get boring after awhile
yes i know i could be more creative with the sounds but when u have stuff in ya head tweaking a sound can take a grip o time then eventually lose the "stuff in the head"
Thanks ILL GREEN
Will be hearing more of my ish in the near future may jus post 1 up tonight!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:42 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

Felix Tha Kat wrote:
Ill Green wrote:

Yup have that on lock!!! Jus looking for more sounds cuz the "stock" Sounds get boring after awhile
yes i know i could be more creative with the sounds but when u have stuff in ya head tweaking a sound can take a grip o time then eventually lose the "stuff in the head"
Thanks ILL GREEN
Will be hearing more of my ish in the near future may jus post 1 up tonight!!!

I use a Sonic Cell to lay down grooves and 'sketches' with some bread and butter sounds. Then afterwards I go havoc on sampling with my turntable and scavange sounds from other sources.

Then.. go back in and swap out the sounds I feel are lacking as is, add FX, layer sounds and so on.

It's by far the best way of not losing the idea in your head, but instead build upon it and make it something far superior (at least.. under ideal conditions, as sometimes building the required custom samples might fail because of a lack of good base-samples).

When it comes to bread and butter soundmodule libraries, you really can't go wrong with most of what Roland has released ever since their U110 series. Most of those midi modules will have the same sounds as their next one. Even the Sonic Cell features a couple of those older midi patches, but with a modern twist (adjustable reverb, dynamic panning and so on).

If you can get one on the cheap secondhand, don't hesitate but grab that Sonic Cell. Highly recommended. It's awesome!

Oh, and if you're rich.. just grab that V-Synth XT. I still desparately want one, but I so can't afford one at the moment. Such a pain hahaha.

I also think that at some point in time you should try to build your own custom made bread and butter library out of samples that 'worked great'. But unfortunately that takes a serious load of time to gather and build and requires extensive digging for sure.

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox