It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Post subject: Re: MVs Are The Sh!t!!!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:36 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

No, they're not discontinued. But who knows why this is happening.

Perhaps Roland is getting ready for the release of the MV9000 or is indeed just pulling the plug out of the MV8800.

Still though, as long as Roland doesn't state on their website it's discontinued, it's definitely not discontinued.

Also... it's still available in Europe and for the higher price, so I'm not so sure if this actually means anything. It's much like the rebate a year ago of a few hundred bucks. Europeans were out of luck there too if I recall correctly, but Roland did not discontinue the MV8800, nor released a successor.

I think this is a shop related thing and not something started by Roland. Although I think this will be good for them too.

Also, I agree with you Ill Green and Lonestar too for the most part. But I think I've just already got over the fact of having paid 2 grand for the machine. I'm not feeling bad about it, and might not ever feel bad about it, it's packing enough heat for me to justify the purchase quite literally. :)

Half is quite a lot though, I'll give you that!

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:45 pm 

Cool, if they're not discontinued then Roland is still competing for dominance in the hardware market. Compared to the MPC 1000 and 2500, the MV is a no brainer by far. The 5000 looks like its disappearing, Musician's Friend had a sale that if you buy the 5000, you get the MPC500 for free. Without JJOS, Akai is falling off and perhaps will never get back up when it comes to MPCs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:18 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

I think Akai biggest mistake was trying to market the MPC5000 as their new flagship sampler.

It's also why they released the MPC2500 SE, that's really only just a white-version MPC2500 maxed-out (IIRC).

I think the MV8800 reigns pretty much supreme in the high-end sampler market. It's still fighting it's image of being an MPC-clone kind of deal, but it's selling very well from what I understand. ( I don't think it's truly competing against the Open Labs stuff.)

I also think the MV8800 is the way to go when it comes to DAW-like integration without losing eye of a true hardware dedicated environment.

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:58 pm 

All I can say the MV 9000 (or the MV 7000, if they economize it) could have cd/dvd burner inside and maybe even sample video from dvds or even blu-ray.

Just dreaming, but the MV does have a little of every device Roland made.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:49 pm 

I can now say "they don't make them like these anymore" like an old fuck.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:39 am 

Secret sources say Roland is working on a new MV and will rival the software and hardware markets. Like a Maschine but with stand-alone capabilities.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:02 am 

:shock: :shock:

ordered!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:43 pm 

what are these secret soruces - do I need to safeup? link? anything?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:44 am 

i would love for this to happen but i donno.. my faith in roland isnt very high when it comes to new hardware.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:25 pm 

Just got me and Mv8000. First thing i noticed was how big it was. The guy grabbed it from his car and i was like "Woah". Looked like a slim computer tower. We went into the dunkin donuts and he showed me a few things and the whole time im drooling with the money in my pocket like "hurry up". Gave me the tutorial DVD with that same dude in all of rolands tutorial dvds and the install disk. Today is a good day. Vga hook up and everything, and glow in the dark pads, 500 bucks.
Im probably going to have alot of questions if the big ass manual cant answer everything. But im just so excited i had to scream it out right quick!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Might have to buy a new desk to fit this big ol' bitch.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:14 pm 

Yeah man, shit is like a tank. UPS came to my door with the thing on a hand truck, I thought he was delivering a refridgerator lol.

Be sure to upgrade it to 3.54 OS, that'll make it almost a 8800. I must admit, the body of the 8000 looks so much slicker than the 8800 and that green screen. Through VGA, it comes in color.

Since you coming off SPs, I suggest sampling with audio tracks just to get you started, but patches can be used for drum kits and you can create your synth using whatever sound you capture.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:46 pm 

Yeah, i just sat in front of this thing for the last 2 hours and im lost with the whole audio phrases and patches. I keep thinking of patches like on an mpc where all the samples get loaded with the patch. Just gotta keep digging and ill figure it out. Just having the hardest time getting a sample onto a fresh pad. Sampled tho. Got that!
But its fucking on!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:07 pm 

Believe me, I was stuck for a week or two trying to figure it out myself, but once you've been to the park more than once, you realize how simple things are and how powerful it is.

When you sample some audio in, you can assign the sample to a pad by selecting Assign to audio phrase or patch, or send it to the Chop to slice and dice and afterwards it'll automatically become a patch. Also if you got samples in there that you haven't assigned yet, you can access them by pressing Project, and in the menu select Sample Manager. In there will be a list of samples and you can assign them or edit start and end points.

I always sample to audio phrases because the lay-out is familar to me from other Roland samplers. Patches I use when making drum patterns.

Start out practicing in Pattern mode, but believe me you'll want to stretch your wings in Song mode. If you fux with FL, Song mode should be a breeze.

On a last note, remember its not an SP, so you can't assign efx to a pad, you have to assign them to a track. There's 8 audio tracks and 64 MIDI tracks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:40 pm 

Thanks. Just that explains alot. Audio phrases eh? Then I'll make a patch. I like to sample a bunch of shit at once. Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:38 pm 

Old bump I know, but i'm interested in the same thing

So, i use patches for 99% of my MV'ing - I know about audio phrases, I guess my understanding is that they are stretchable/bpm sync'able and better for long samples.

The only way I've been using it is for example, copy a drum loop to audio phrase, beat sync it / pitch then copy to a patch pad and have a synched up loop....What else does it allow?