It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:30 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:01 pm 

So I got this thing right. Well it seems it locks up anytime I try to save or load anything to the card. Tried with both a Sandisk PCMCIA 32mb card, and a Sandisk CF 32mb via Sandisk CD to PCMCIA adapter. Anyone got any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:54 pm 

hematurge wrote:
I won one these shits on ebay for like $45. I think it'll go nicely with my DR-660. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Budget beats like a muhfucka.

-Never used an expansion card in mine, but I have to say the DR-660 with the MS-1 was my first MIDI setup back in the day. I would make the patterns on the DR, then I would use 'silent' DR pads to trigger the samples on the MS-1. Doing that helped me learn alot about MIDI- I no longer have those pieces of gear, but you bet I sampled all those 660 hits before I dropped it.
I can throw 'em all on my 606 now and it's like a blast from the future.

Post subject: Re: ms 1 sampler
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:11 am 

MS1 broke me in to the Roland family. Limited as it was, all my crazy and mind expansive beats came from that piece.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:36 am 

looking for:
MS-1 System 1.12 and Demo MS1update.ZIP
or MS1_V112.ZIP
quoting a page I found:
"The MIDI file, O_S112s.MID included with this text file has the System of the MS-1 that can be loaded from a MIDI sequencer that can play Standard MIDI Files. We recommend that you upgrade your MS-1 with this system disk even if your MS-1 reads the newer Sundisk Flash RAM cards since this newer system fixes some problems with MS-1 operations that were on earlier systems. "

any chance anone might have this file?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:10 pm 

I actually met and chilled with Eliot Lipp in 2006 when he did a show in Philly. Very humble guy. Apparently the promoter hadn't marketed or advertised the show properly so I was the only one there to see him play. He bought me a beer and we got to talking about gear and what not before he did his set. He did have his trusty MS-1 with him as part of his set up and he told me to snag it if I could find one.

His self titled LP was made on an MS-1. He went around to random record stores, would plug in the MS, and record the loops while he was at the listening stations. Hey may have used an SP-202 for effects in certain parts from what I recall from our conversation. All of the tracks were sequenced and recorded from the MS-1 to a MiniDisk recorder. The programming and construction of that album is bonkers..

Post subject: FlashCards for the MS-1
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:28 pm 

The flashcards are ancient as we all know. I thought I had tracked down the right one but it wasn't an SDP5 ATA FlashCard. Does ANYONE know if someone online has these for sale besides ebay?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:48 pm 

Hey guys,
New user here. I use a ROland MS-1 for... everything. I love that little beast. Been using it for so long, that I'm a ninja with it.
I'm going to get a SP-404 soon, and I was thinking about also getting a SP-202. Do you guys think it's a good deal to get the 202 or redundant?

Cheers

Attachments:
28092010(001) (Small).jpg
28092010(001) (Small).jpg [ 61.01 KiB | Viewed 15021 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:39 am 

Both the SP-202 and the MS-1 (according to what I read in its manual) seem to have this problem that if you put one-shot drum sounds they will not re-trigger (for example a long kick sound or open high hat triggered a bunch of times really fast) but play the whole sample through. This is not good if you run the sampler from an external sequencer for drum sounds. There is a work around, which is to use synth-style sequencing and program in gate times, which is kind of a pain.

On the SP-202 you can only edit by ear in real time, pressing a button at the start and end of the sample, no fine editing, which makes it even harder to use for non-looped drum sounds. There's also no way to adjust a sample's volume once it's been recorded.

The 202's pads light when the samples are active, which is great (I dunno if the MS-1's pads do this).

The effects:
I find the ring modulator awesome. True, it can make hi-fi samples seem like they are a much lower grade, but you can get great sweeps if you put it on certain samples and turn the knob in real time.

Some people here love the filters, I don't, not that I would expect much more from a one knob filter.

Everyone here seems to hate the delay. You can just barely tell that it's on by listening.

The time is not too bad, even if the range is not that wide, the pitch is really good.

But what you would really hate coming from an MS-1, which can save the samples to MIDI, is that you can only save to expensive hard-to-find 5 volt SmartMedia cards.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:02 pm 

MS-1 pads do not light up. They can be set to Gate, Trigger, or Drum mode. I think the 202 would only sequence one shot drum sounds in Gate mode.

The Lo-fi grades on the 202 and MS are pretty much the same. MS in Standard is warm and crunchy where as lo-fi 1 on the 202 gives you that "SP-1200 sizzle". I've been using the 202 with an MS-1 for a little EP recently and it's been fun to have these two limited samplers working in tandem. No midi mind you. Just re-sampling and sample interplay.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:49 pm 

boombapp28 wrote:
MS-1 pads do not light up. They can be set to Gate, Trigger, or Drum mode. I think the 202 would only sequence one shot drum sounds in Gate mode.

The Lo-fi grades on the 202 and MS are pretty much the same. MS in Standard is warm and crunchy where as lo-fi 1 on the 202 gives you that "SP-1200 sizzle". I've been using the 202 with an MS-1 for a little EP recently and it's been fun to have these two limited samplers working in tandem. No midi mind you. Just re-sampling and sample interplay.

ot
where is that EP???????!!!!!!!!!????????i want to hear it RP!!!!
...sorry for the ot guys....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:36 pm 

WARNING: OFF TOPIC

Ella, it's just about done!! Finishing it up this week!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:21 am 

ot
cool!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:58 pm 

:o Another MS1 album on the rise? Yeah man, those little machines got that grit that no other machine has, well maybe the MV can compare because they kind of sound alike but the MV doesn't lower the sampling frequency like the MS can 8)

Keep us posted on that album.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:42 pm 

Any tips and tricks for the MS-1? Would it be possible to have a page dedicated to the MS?? If it weren't for the MS we wouldn't have the SP.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:05 am 

boombapp28 wrote:
You can use trigger with one-shot mode on the 202, it just won't re-trigger if you hit the pad real fast several times.

Is it the same on the MS with drum mode? From the manual's point of view it would seem so, it is not super clear though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next