It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm

Post subject: Roland MS-1
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:59 pm 

The Roland MS-1

It's an old and very basic sampler that I would never get rid of.

I know there's already posts on here about it, but what the hell!

Awesome for making an MPC-style mute group
Four different sampling rates for very lo-fi sounds
Pitch knob for realtime pitch/time changing
Simple sequencer
Battery powered

I have been using it with non-standard CF cards using an adapter and have gotten some unique glitches out of it. Was able to make a disc image of one of my glitched cards that turns it into a strange looper. Another glitch I found while recording lets you play pads then strike the glitched pad and it will play back what you just played on the other pads.. Very strange and wonderful simple sampler. You can usually find them for under $100 (Mine was $20 like new.) A great addition to any SP- setup.

http://www.youtube.com/user/alexriesenbeck (weirdness, music and more)
May PEACE Prevail ON EARTH

Post subject: Re: Roland MS-1
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:42 pm 

Whoa can you explain what you did to get the looping trick or post a video? I'd love to check that out

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:40 pm 

The MS-1 is dope! I'm still trying to find a card that works for mine. A couple I thought would do the trick, didn't. All that glitchy goodness sounds like fun. I just recorded an all MS-1 jam on my four track. Awesome little sampler.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:30 am 

The MS-1 is dope. I route stuff through it as a hardware effect all the time. Kinda like an Elektron Analog Heat (or really a OTO Biscuit) but cheaper and more OG. I should clarify: I wish I could find or afford a hw Biscuit.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:00 am 

I’m thinking of getting one. I know it has midi in/out. Can you sequence a 202 from it? I’ve seen them on eBay for $70 without a card, $140 with a 32meg card. I’ve heard the cards are somewhat rare. It’s got no FX, but I got a Korg Kaosspad mini to get past that.

Not sure if it’s worth it, but it be fun.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:39 am 

Headphones wrote:
I’m thinking of getting one. I know it has midi in/out. Can you sequence a 202 from it? I’ve seen them on eBay for $70 without a card, $140 with a 32meg card. I’ve heard the cards are somewhat rare. It’s got no FX, but I got a Korg Kaosspad mini to get past that.

Not sure if it’s worth it, but it be fun.

You might be able to sequence a 202 but the MS-1's sequencer is kinda shaky, has no quantize so where you hit the samples, is where it plays. When a sequence loops, sometimes the samples get scattered and remain that way until you shut it off and power on again. I hated that MS-1 sequencer, which led me to believe why Boss omitted the sequencer on the 202.

Its a great sampler without the sequencer though. If you mess with a 202 then you halfway there. Pitch range is further wide depending on the sample rate you sample in. I used to sample stuff at the High rate, then pitch it down to Long1 or Long2 for drastic melody changes and speed.

The memory card thing is just for storage. And only one sample at a time can be played from the memory card. So don't think the cards are for more sample space because the MS-1 only allows a polyphony of 3 from the device itself and the 4th polyphony coming from the memory card. The good thing is that you can sample long passages to the card and play along with the internal memory. But you cannot play multiple samples from the memory card alone.

Other than that, it has mute group, Divide feature is a kind of chop feature. You get 4 kinds of sample rates! Which are 44.1kHz, 32kHz, 22kHz and 11kHz. Wide pitch tuning, an underrated machine if you know the limitations and how to work with them.

Peace

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:31 am 

4 different sample modes you say? That's gotta be crunchy when you sample at the lowest grade. From the looks of it, I'm guessing it's less bulky than the 202. If you can only trigger 1 sample from the card, then might as well just sample basslines, loops, or vocal phrases I'd imagine.

Pretty sure this thing is worth grabbing with a Yamaha SU10. Just bring a cheap mic or portable recorder and you can go hunt for samples in a busy city or on a camp trip.

Thanx Ill Green.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:56 pm 

Your welcome.

One important thing I forgot to mention is that even though it has no effects, its possible to pass signal through it and take advantage of its sample rates.

The outputs are always affected by what sample rate you have it on when in sample (REC) mode. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:44 pm 

Having no fx isn't a deal breaker since I got a Korg Kaosspad mini, Electrix FilterQueen/MoFX. it's just scrouning the cash for either sampler. Got rent increasing when we resign our new lease. Not to mention a few pawn tickets to either rescue or renew. And if I have any spare cash, I'm likely to buy new records. (found a great place to dig for .25 to buck records)

So a bit on my plate, but I' ll see where i'm at after summer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:59 pm 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
The Roland MS1 was the first sampler I ever owned and I thought I was the king of the fucking universe when I got that thing haha!

I'd done some recording in a studio where they had a couple of Akai rack samplers but the MS1 was affordable and I decided to snap one up when they were originally released.

I had a few other bits of gear I used with that MS1..an Alesis MMT-8 which I actually wish I still had...
for anyone unfamiliar its a standard and simple MIDI sequencer,a pattern and song based sequencer with 8 separate tracks... It was a cool bit of gear for it's time and super reliable too!

I also had a Korg MS-20 analogue mono synth which again, I wish I still owned and a Roland D-5 synth back then which was capable of producing about 3 decent sounds lol but the ability to sample vinyl was what I wanted more than anything and the Roland MS1 finally provided it.

Korg MS-20.

A little later, when I bought the Roland SP-808 the MS1 felt like a toy in comparison tbh but it'd be fun to have a mess around with one again I must admit cause for all it's limitations its a dope piece of equipment which really opened my eyes to the possibilities of being able to create entirely sample based music from vinyl and tape and as Ill Green previously mentioned in the thread it's 'an underrated machine if you know the limitations and how to work with them' .
:)

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:44 pm 

Just spotted one for $80. If it’s still there Friday, I’ll get that AND my SP404og. I can’t let this one slip through my fingers!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:39 am 

I’m putting a MS-1 & PO 33 on layaway....Just keeps getting better & better.