It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:19 am

Post subject: Sp808 to MV?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:43 pm 

Hi,
I am thinking of getting an MV. I very much like my SP808, I tend to like using the sequencer, step recording, cutting, pasting, re-recording/bouncing etc. Feel a bit limited by the four tracks, not so easy to play around without committing to a bounced track. Do any of you have experience of moving from a 808 to an MV. Would I be able to to do all I can do on the 808 and more? How many audio tracks can I have on the MV? Cheers

Post subject: Re: Sp808 to MV?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:02 am 

i think is 8 audio tracks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:04 am 

also feel free to check this one, a comparison we made some years ago, about MVs and MC909...
http://sp-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21049&p=138430&hilit=mc909#p138430

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:02 pm 

Thanks. Excuse my ignorance but what do the midi tracks control, are they for controlling external devices or internal VSTs or do the midi tracks trigger samples?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:38 pm 

Just bought a MV8000 on Ebay, hopefully coming next week, big learning curve ahead!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:22 am 

Yup 8 audio tracks and 128 MIDI tracks. MIDI tracks are just data of pads and samples used on the track like MPC's sequencer, so when you do MIDI up to other devices, those devices will read everything on your MIDI tracks. But in order to use MIDI tracks you have to sample sounds in as PATCH. (When you sample, you have 2 options to send the samples to, 1-Audio Phrases, and 2-Patches;) You can find all your patches when you access the INSTRUMENT button and find all your audio phrases when you access the AUDIO PHRASE button.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:59 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

drmnaga78 wrote:
Thanks. Excuse my ignorance but what do the midi tracks control, are they for controlling external devices or internal VSTs or do the midi tracks trigger samples?

They can control all of that. You can even trigger internal samples and at the same time trigger external devices using the same pads to create some interesting instant pad layering. Resample that if you have to and so on.

The midi outs can also be routed to a DAW, with sound from PC being routed into the MV through one of the inputs. You then have the choice of either bouncing a sequence to an audio track (so the DAW plug-in stuff is recorded within the MV at that point) or sample individual sounds to pads and use the MV sequencer instead or any combination really.

The MV is a truly powerful machine once you realise the work-flow it can have. I have to admit the hardware itself is a bit slow (old CPU, little RAM etc.), but it can still do some ridiculously good stuff. :)

"But in order to use MIDI tracks you have to sample sounds in as PATCH. "

In most cases true, unless you hook up an external audio device and run the audio from such an external audio module back into the MV. At that point you don't record sound, just the midi notes, which are played through midi from the external sound module. It's how I've been using the Roland Sonic Cell in combination with my MV for quite a while. Sampling the sounds or recording the sequence to an audio track on the MV is actually optional. Added bonus is that using the MV that way enables for some very very fast loading times, as project size remains small (until the point you actually bounce to the audio tracks).

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox