It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 pm

Post subject: MPC (JJ) vs MV
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:52 am 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

Does anybody have experience with both the MPC (JJOS 2/XL) and MV8800? I would like to know the pros and cons of both. What does the MV do that MPC (jj) can't? How is the workflow, is it as quick as OG404? I might have an opportunity to switch to one.... if I did, everything except my turntable would be made by Roland 8)

Post subject: Re: MPC (JJ) vs MV
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:27 am 

Price experienced a mpc 1000 with jjos1( 02 has the real time time stretch but you gotta have another box to sample it, don't even think you can resample it like you can with other mpc audio in the box) had a mv8000. The 8800 didn't expand much in the OS, just gave you the expansions in the back, the mouse one and the 8 outs or however many. I'd say go with the mpc. The mv had so many dam functions it was like programming midi notes across a keyboard and a ton of other really uncreative technical shit. Audio phrases and patches phrases is mpcs equivalent to programs and patched programs. The mpc handles better and with the jjos, it's amazing. Mpc is a real good get ER done machine. I kept getting lost in the mv, especially when I hooked the screen up to it, dam, never made a dam beat, just kept sampling. And the fx aernt Roland sp effects, totally different quality and not really that good. Having an effect with 3 knobs is a lot better than an effect with 30 things to tweak, trust me. Mpc all the way.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:36 am 

Just read everything else after the first line that you write, I jumped the gun like "I got this"!
Mpc chops better than the mv. The mv is good at chopping but the creating programs and saving part got kinda funky. It's slower than the mpc for sure. Not much but it is. The mv's whole patches phrase and audio phrase bs is what got me. Seemed kinda dum and it was hard to just change the parameters for everything in a kit. Like the mpc jjos has the edit multiple pads menu so you can adjust every parameter for every sample in a program. I found myself having to toggle through the pads to set things like one shot and the Adsr for all the samples in the mv. The mv is good when it come down to jamming out and making patterns and the visual screen is pretty cool. But the mpc stands alone when it comes to sequencing and is well known for it. The mv is sort of like the other mpc with the Roland brand and some funky ways to not fully copy the mpc but really, they both get the job done. I finally got rid of mine because it was so fucking big I ran out of room and got tired or chopping samples and giving em decay since I couldn't do all the pads at once. I like decay and jjos makes it easy to do things like that. Add filter to all the pads and adjust the cutoff. And it comes with 4 outs which is definitely useful for using an sp as a external effects box for send and return or just tracking out which is nice to have. You won't find the mv expansion for less than 300 bucks. Probably only 1 exist and it's on eBay for like 365. If its still there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:25 am 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

wow man, thanks for the in-depth response! :)

I'll stick with my 2500.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:13 pm 

Probably would have Wrote a ton less if I knew you already had a mpc. Was in a typing mood anyways. Stay with that mpc, Roland doesn't even seem to support the mv's anymore and the forum sucks. Signed up and never got in over like a year.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:09 pm 

Do MVs got win7 support?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:45 am 

I would just assume not. You never know if the drivers for win xp just work with windows 7. Sometimes they do sometimes they dont.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:03 pm 
MV Award Winner '09

You don't need drivers to connect MV to a computer, it's just plain simple USB hard drive. As for the workflow. I used to own both MV and MPC 1k. MV is more solid and I had less OS issues with it, whereas MPC with JJOS is always in development and has occasional glitches. Speed-wise I would say MPC as it has newer processor and the whole workflow just seemed faster. If you need audio track support go for MV as 1k's audio tracks are crap compared to what MV offers. I used to track full songs in MV. Effects wise again I would say MV, a lot more crazy ass effects, 1k has only some basic ones. No doubt MV is really advanced and it takes a while to get into it, but once you there you'll want to stay. The only reason I moved on is that I want to blend both sampled and synthesised sounds and unfortunately I have outgrown MV's internal synth instrument.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:19 am 

Just realize that if you get into the MV world, there is probably no support for it, but mpc's still have a lot of eyes on them so they cant really afford to just end the support. The MV's are beast but sometimes you dont need a beast. People dont flock to the 2000xl because its missing a ton of features n shit. Its like the 303 of mpc's.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:10 pm 

I'll just say, the MV is kinda simple once you know where everything is. Sure there's menus, but menus for every operation you are in which is really helpful. Like if you're in sample mode, hit menu and there's options for that, if you're in song/pattern mode, hit menu and there's options for that. If you're in mixdown mode, hit menu and there's options for that and etc. That simple, nothing to get drowned in. I created my last album strictly on the MV and it felt good not sampling from one box to another and recording vocals in just one unit.

My main studio just consist of an MV8800, turntable, CD player/recorder, line/mic preamp, and a pair of 8" KRKs and vinyl and CDs. My studio is no longer a harbinger of cables laying around.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:05 pm 

+1 the MV8800, while a little intimidating at first, has one of the best workflows i've found + amazing amount of samples to load and manipulate at once. I've just started to mess with the audio phrases/time sync stuff and that really opens it up even more (than using it like a big glorified SP hehe)

Add in the effects, hard drive, VGA/mouse setup and its a killer one piece...and I only paid a little more than a new sp404sx goes for these days

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:32 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

ellaguru wrote:
Do MVs got win7 support?

Yes, it does. But basically all you'd ever need a PC for is for transferring files to your PC to make mp3 files. It just becomes an external harddrive when in USB mode.

I personally would disagree with the idea that an MPC with JJOS is 'better', the MV really is not that technical at all. I think it's a matter of what you're used to already, more so than the MV being different or harder to master.

It's actually very easy and fast to use and gives you basically all you'd ever need from a sequencer/sampler IMHO. It's seriously underrated. Of course, there will always be cats that can't quite get the hang of it, but mostly they are just fixed in what they've already learned/mastered with their MPC.

I've used both and when it comes to actually making the music both will do great. I just like the MV best.

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:39 pm 

springwater wrote:
Just realize that if you get into the MV world, there is probably no support for it, but mpc's still have a lot of eyes on them so they cant really afford to just end the support. The MV's are beast but sometimes you dont need a beast. People dont flock to the 2000xl because its missing a ton of features n shit. Its like the 303 of mpc's.

Lol, well you make a great point about the 2000xl, don't get me wrong, but the MV8800 is virtually bug-free (I've been using the MV for years and haven't noticed any bugs/freezes and what not), so I don't think people running the latest OS version really need any support.

It's also not entirely true that Roland doesn't support them anymore, as you can still get many parts from them directly. Unfortunately, doing that can get quite expensive and might not be worth it. The MVs and the expansions are discontinued though, so don't expect new ones on the shelves.

www.myspace.com/phemox

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:01 pm 

Also, JJ and the MV are not that far apart. From what I experienced, JJ lacks direct record, meaning you can play a song or pattern and sample at the same time and the result will be a seperate sample without the sequence mixed. Great for vocals and live instruments. But both has NDC chopping, audio and midi tracks, step edit modes etc. Only thing is that they're executed different, JJ is more MPC orient and the MV is MV :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:43 pm 

Yeah, think people should not get stuck in believing one is better than the other. I digg the MV a lot, but I am sure some people don't like how it's different from an MPC. Same goes for the Maschine. It's actually a lot nicer than I had expected, but either machine gets the job done. In the end talent and knowledge of the sampler defines what you can do with 'em.

www.myspace.com/phemox