It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 pm

Post subject: MVs Are The Sh!t!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:00 pm 

Since I've been with this monster it does things I've always dreamed a sampler should do. A pricey beast, yes, but worth every dollar.

I can edit samples while a pattern or song is playing and/or while a record is playing. External sound can play at anytime and resampled with a sample. Old school pitch that can speed up or slow down samples or if you want, you can timestretch without affecting pitch. You can resample songs or patterns to a pad and chop that up to concoct new approaches. There's just so much to do to keep you busy and I just cracked the surface.

MVs Rock!!!

Post subject: Re: MVs Are The Sh!t!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:23 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

Hahah, yeah that's what's up!!

It's like an MPC4000 on steriods, but better yet... you can actually do pretty much all you need and want to do, almost like if it's a complete software DAW, but you never lose the hardware feel of things.

It still forces you to get creative, but compared to an SP-404 or SP-606, this machine has no limitations (which if taking into consideration things you'd reasonably would use for a full production, it virtually hasn't anyway. :) If you want to nitpick, sure it's not the perfect end-all-be-all sampler.)

( In other news, I've just received my Glow in the Dark pads for my MV! Haven't installed yet, but I might post a picture soon. )

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:44 pm 

yo phem, does the mv could do the shit like microsampler?

i mean "fast sampling" - you know what I mean - listening to record and somehow lets say hitting them pads when I want to sample and releasing when I wont to omit the specific part
you know what I mean :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:20 pm 

elhuana wrote:
yo phem, does the mv could do the shit like microsampler?

i mean "fast sampling" - you know what I mean - listening to record and somehow lets say hitting them pads when I want to sample and releasing when I wont to omit the specific part
you know what I mean :P

You mean pressing a key for as long as you want to sample something?

Nope, out the top of my head unfortunately not really, however the resampling engine on the MV is lightning fast and does allow for a near continuous sampling. You just need to start and stop it manually when sampling from your turn table. There's no 'saving' time when assigning samples to pads, as they are already stored into the memory.

But you will still have to fire up the Sample Manager and assign what you've resampled to a pad later. The Korg MicroSampler makes you assign to a key while resampling, which means it takes one step less.

The work-flow is very much almost as fast though. Almost, but I can imagine pressing a key might result in having to do some touch ups later on anyway, for which the MV would be much more flexible and forgiving. ;)

www.myspace.com/phemox

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:09 pm 

thanks for the answer phem!
I just thought that there could be such option there.

such sampling mode is in ms is way to dope, but im not really sure if I should pay for this korg another 460eur...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:27 pm 

Well, I've definitely learned the best things cost quite some money, but you might want the MicroSampler instead.

It does have some annoying limitations as well though, apart from the more awesome features like continuous sampling by pressing a key.

www.myspace.com/phemox

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:10 pm 

That Fast Sampling sounds kinda cool, you mean like to hit pad 1 to sample a portion of a record and as it plays, you hit pad 2 to sample another portion on the fly. No, the MV don't got that feature, but then again you can use the Chop to either Auto or manually chop up a large portion to different pads.

In case some of you didn't know, you could upload images to the MV and they can be displayed on an external VGA screen when you bang out a beat. In your own studio you can have like a trippy show with your beats.

The beast is incredible!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:34 pm 

Sup Fam,

Yeah I have been silent on the boards for a while. But, making strides on my MV as well. You guys keep me motivated to try more creative things on it. Ill-G, congrats on getting your own beast too. Everyday, it asks to be munipulated. So give it to her hard...

Peace...Netm8kr (SONICPLANET) formerly (Snipersoundz)
http://sonicplanet.bandcamp.com
http://www.youtube.com/Netm8kr
http://www.instagram.com/Netm8kr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:35 pm 

Netm8kr wrote:
Sup Fam,

Yeah I have been silent on the boards for a while. But, making strides on my MV as well. You guys keep me motivated to try more creative things on it. Ill-G, congrats on getting your own beast too. Everyday, it asks to be munipulated. So give it to her hard...

Yo, thanks man. I could sit down with it and just be there for hours flipping stuff. Sometimes I sample a bunch of stuff to construct a beat and then I end up doing something totally different from what I imagined to do in the first place. It always turns out to be a smoked-out session of crazy doodling of beats. Then I record about 20 min of it and examine it later in a sober state to see what can be used and what should have been done.

Peace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:19 am 

Yeah, I would not ever claim better gear makes one a better artist /musician too, but when it comes to using the MV it's like opening a can of pure creativity. It feels pretty limitless and the work-flow is fast enough to not lose entire ideas. :)

www.myspace.com/phemox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:01 pm 

Brand new MV8800s are already for $999.99 USD!!! :D :D :D

:x Son of a bitch!!! I could of spent a G on records!!! You piss-face faggots made me spend 2k just to bring the price down 3 months later?!!
Burn, you devils at Roland :evil:

:mrgreen: JK, actually it was the best 2 thousand I ever burned :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:24 pm 

Hahaha yeah.

ish happens I guess! :lol:

It seems stores in my country aren't going crazy with the price at all though. It's still 2 grand here, but at least it's priced more expensive than the MPC5000 which makes perfect sense imho.

www.myspace.com/phemox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:03 pm 

Ill Green wrote:
:x Son of a bitch!!! I could of spent a G on records!!! You piss-face faggots made me spend 2k just to bring the price down 3 months later?!!
Burn, you devils at Roland :evil:

:mrgreen: JK, actually it was the best 2 thousand I ever burned :wink:

Seriously, price policies like that are perfect for pissing off your fellow customers. Who the hell drops the price of a product by half? What does that mean for the price it had before? If they can sell it for 1000$ and still make profit, why didn't they start at 1500 or 1200 when it came out? Questions over questions. I'm not saying they shouldn't have lowered the price, surely not, just saying it means it was WAY overpriced before.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:36 pm 

I'm sorry to disagree with you once more ;) , but objectively speaking this is gear first released years ago. It's good to finally see a price drop this big after over 3 years, if you count the release of the MV8000 as the first version of this product too it's been much longer.

It initially launched at over 3 grand in the early days if I'm not mistaken.

I don't think this means it's therefore overpriced. (also, note that currently this price drop is in America only.)

The MV8800 for one grand is obviously a bargain for what you'll get compared to the MPC1k that's around 1k too if I'm not mistaken, but I still think it's worth it's 2 grand a few months back with ease!

I'd save up money and spend it again for it that's for sure. And yes, I love the machine to death and am probably biased..

One thing though, and that's where there's a serious 'other side' to this, the MV8800's guts is actually pretty dated. The CD/DVD drive is reasonably new and the hard disk is a laptop drive, but memory and onboard processors are pretty ancient.

Therefore producing the MV should be mad cheap, hence why it's even possible to give a discount this huge as the profit margin simply is very high, for Roland also. In many ways this is true for most samplers though.

Prices tend to change mad slowly in this niche market. It's just how the cookie crumbles I suppose. ;)

www.myspace.com/phemox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:12 pm 

Yeah, I understand his point though. It makes me feel good to see a product I bought and own at a diamond's price. Makes me feel like I'm economically viable. When I buy stuff, I like to be one of the few that own it. Now every cat that wakes up in the morning and feels like being Timbaland can own one of these, it a fucken shame I tell you :x

I always wanted these since they first came out. The tech is dated though, so the price drop is logical. But the question remains...Are they discontinued?