It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am

Post subject: Re: Cleaning Vinyl
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:19 pm 

Unless you are scratching with these records there really is no need to clean them off.

Some records get stored in bad places and end up with mouse piss on them. Id recommend using dish soap and water for those. My grandfather used to use dish soap and water... that's what I use for the dirtiest records.

Sometimes just playing it all the way through you'll find that the stylus will pick out all the crud that's been stuck in the grooves. Just blow that crud off and on to the next record...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:04 am 

I don't know about the revirgenizer, but you can use wood glue much the same way. If you do a YouTube on it you'll see. And it's plenty cheap, but only worth it for some dingy pieces really.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:20 pm 

has anyone else tried the wood glue thing? I just picked up a 45 this last weekend that has a break I'd love to use, but there's too much noise. I love dirt and grit as much as the next guy, but i don't want it screwing up my transients. maybe I'll mix the dirty and clean to get the right balance :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:44 am 

the reason it works is wood glue(use titebond) only sticks to wood, not plastic or things with those properties. it will grab the gunk before it dries though. i work with wood glue when i build guitars. what i do is glue pieces that are wrapped in plastic, then i can just peel the plastic right off and nothing gets stuck.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:01 am 

jbl wrote:
the reason it works is wood glue(use titebond) only sticks to wood, not plastic or things with those properties. it will grab the gunk before it dries though. i work with wood glue when i build guitars. what i do is glue pieces that are wrapped in plastic, then i can just peel the plastic right off and nothing gets stuck.

Genius!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:07 pm 

I tried the wood glue trick yesterday yesterday with decent results. I'll have to make some before and after recordings to illustrate any effect.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:16 pm 

jbl wrote:

EXACTLY like the Revirginizer! Good cheap alternative, thanks! Hope it works as well.

To the haters of clean vinyl: meh. I buy my records to listen to, not to get some elitist dirty sound. If it turns out they have something worth sampling- great!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:41 pm 

I'm friends with these two guys who own a record store I've been frequenting the past 11 years and I've been using their home brew cleaner for years. I think it's composed of distilled water, 100% isopropyl alcohol, and a drop of carpet cleaner. Been using it for years and it works wonders.

If the record is hella dusty and scratchy, I'll clean it. If it's spotless, I don't worry about it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:58 pm 

if only they had revirginizer for women...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:08 am 

yo what ive done that works pretty good if you have some dirty vinyl is take a soft clean sock and put some water from the faucet on it and then put it on your record and spin it counter clock wise it lifts the dirt right out the grooves

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:05 am 

if you do that, be sure to let your record dry for like, at least 4 or 5 hours, playin a record with moisture on it fucks up the record permanently and i don't think its good for your needle either, and i read somewhere that if you play a record while its wet, that it may sound alright, but permanently fucks up the grooves, and the only way you can make it sound normal again is to play it in the same conditions, or somethin like that......but depending on where you live (humid vs dry) you need at least 4 or 5 hours, and i've read that in some places it can take upwards of 12 hours to dry totally

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:50 am 

Is rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball ok?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:02 am 

I've been using wood glue lately. Its not perfect, but it really helps!