It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

Post subject: Drum break database (within Discogs)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:48 pm 

Creating a drum break database within Discogs list format. Organized, informational, etc. New additions everyday.

https://www.discogs.com/lists/Open-Drum ... 250&page=1

If anyone would like to contribute please contact me on Discogs.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Drum break database (within Discogs)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:12 pm 

I found a few new drum breaks diggin'. But don't want them added to some list somewhere. As it is a score to stumble on new breaks. Guess I'm a sample snob and don't want to give away sauce so easy.

Cool that some one from this site is putting together a list. There's already 3 or 4 drum break lists on Discogs.

Post subject: Re: Drum break database (within Discogs)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:11 am 

MattCoops wrote:
I found a few new drum breaks diggin'. But don't want them added to some list somewhere. As it is a score to stumble on new breaks. Guess I'm a sample snob and don't want to give away sauce so easy.

Cool that some one from this site is putting together a list. There's already 3 or 4 drum break lists on Discogs.

There's actually way more than 3 or 4 drum break lists on Discogs. But they are pretty disorganized, some repetitious, others incorrect, etc. and only one compares in size to the one I'm building. He's been working on his for 4-5 years. I actually contributed hundreds of breaks to it. But like to say wasn't happy with the issues with that list so made my own. I've only been working on this one for close to 4 months.

In my opinion mine is way better. It provides knowledge on breaks that could possibly influence a buyer's choice of where to source the break.

Some people like 45's because the compressed grooves give them a grittier sound, but not every break comes on a 45 even if the song is on a 45 as I'm sure you know. An example would be Isaac Hayes Joy because the full song is 15 minutes long so they cut the break as part of the major downsizing on the 45.

Some people are concerned about pressing quality and so if a break is available from say 4 different records maybe they'd choose the one who that comes with the better reputation for quality pressings.

In other cases I note that not all copies of a record actually have the break on them so when people go just looking for a record they've been told has a break on it or they see on instagram or something they don't know they may come up on a copy that doesn't have the break and think they've been duped. An example would be Roy Clark-Magnificent Sanctuary Band. Only the Capitol Records reissue of that album has the break. I've owned the original, a repress on Word, a promo 45 version and the Capitol reissue. So I know for a fact only the capitol reissue has the break unless the Brazilian version has it cause its the only one I've never owned.

Another example would be that Sight Unseen's 45 with a break on I'm On My Way actually has two different versions. One with bongos and one without. So it's actually two different breaks. With that knowledge someone who owns both take have both and combine them to make one part of a song have the bongos and one part not.

I've seen people on here mention they don't live in areas where they can easily dig. So they can look at my list. Tons of the songs have been posted on the internet somewhere so they check the breaks. Decide what they definitely want if they don't just sample it off the net and they can order some specific records they know they will get some guaranteed source material out of that they really want as drums are the backbone in most cases.

I could go on, but you get the idea. As far as not sharing thats your prerogative and that's cool, but there's literally an entire community of diggers who've been digging for decades who are sharing this knowledge. Danny Dan The Beatman who created the Dusty Fingers series posts tons of images of records with breaks on his instagram all the time. There's already tons of youtube channels dedicated to drum breaks etc. So the sauce has already been spilled everywhere. Young Guru created a holy grail list full of drum break records. All I'm doing is trying to pool all of these sources and my own knowledge together and create a database that is organized and informational and in fact will lead people to other sources and ideally to buying vinyl and keeping crate digging culture alive. I definitely didn't undertake this task as a way of getting props or something. It's actually for the culture.

Peace.