It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:39 pm

Post subject: Isn't annoying whennn
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:00 am 

You buy a bunch of records and are casually going through them. You hear a sick sample on one and make a mental note of it. A little while later, you try to find it and it is no where on the record you know it should be on.

This is happening to me right now and to make things worse lol, I'm finding some ill stuff that I didn't hear the first time around lol. Like the record sounds completely different than what I heard an hour ago. Frig, I guess I have to really start writing ish down. My memory is horrible.

What other stuff is annoying in the realm of the crate digger lol? Another one for me is not checking that the record matches the sleeve in the store and you bring it home and it's some bull. Although sometimes that actually works out when the record inside is crazy.

Post subject: Re: Isn't annoying whennn
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:57 am 

My main digging pet peeve is being the only obvious hip hop cat in the store going through everything & knowing all the high fidelity record elitists are talking shit about me in their heads.lol. But what you're talking about I do all the time-I always say i should write stuff down-but i tend to go by the philosophy that things will happen when they're supposed to happen,so there's no need....also-one of the beauties in beat making is hearing records and samples in a completely different way then another time you heard the same shit..and is a testament to the true art of choosing samples-i think it has a lot to do with the moods we're in and the emotions we're feeling at that psrticular time that draw us to whatever samples. In the case of getting the wrong record-that shit pisses me the fuck off.You can always use the old school boosting technique of taking one record out of its jacket,then putting it in with another,lol..that way you're guaranteed to come out on top.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:53 am 

Word haha. Could you imagine being a cute female checking things out? I went out yesterday, just poking around. I was thinking about getting a phono preamp and wanted to see what I could find. I went in one store and like, people either talk to me like I'm stupid (one guy recommended a $1400 mixer instead in a tone of voice that you would probably use for a preschooler) or they act like animals in heat (I was looking in a glass case of some samplers and mixers in a pawn shop and in the reflection I could see most of the employees acting reeeal extra lol. I just walked out, I can't stand that ish). I went into a second hand store and found some records, $2 a pop and a plus lol, he gave me a little discount.

....lol as an update, I found the sample today!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:52 am 

congrats on the sample find-you should let us hear some new shit!!Crazy, for some reason I didn't realize you were a female at all... 8) but yea-dealing with music store douches in heat has gotta suck...as well as dudes talking to you like a little girl that lost her mommy.Then again,you could always use it to your advantage,lol- if you haven't seen it and got net flx check out "extract" w mila kunis and jason bateman- one of the opening scenes will give you some excellent pointers,lol.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:35 pm 

Haha, I'll check it out. But seriously I'm not really like that lol. I'm real low key and introverted. I would rather just do what I have to do in the store than bat my eyelashes at people to get things lol.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:46 pm 

naw i know...that's what i would assume about you-none of us should be walking around trying to scam people,lol-it's a really original and funny movie though... : )

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:59 pm 

When I'm diggin and I see records with no covers/sleeves I do what aD says and give them a home in one of the records I'm buying :) Sounds kinda scandalous, but I'm almost certain those records would never be bought and just left to get scratched all to hell. Snagged a dope Willow record (yes a story version of the movie) and a Flash Gordon story record this way. Speakin of which, it's about time to do some more diggin!!!

What pisses me off most about gettin new vinyl is finding that perfect sample and then your wax has a scratch and skips at exactly the part you want to record. This usually happens at the beginning of songs that have had a lot of play time on them.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:08 pm 

Well,it's just as, if not more scandalous for all these record shops to be so overpriced--once these people finally got put on to how many cats buy records for sampling,all of a sudden quality dollar sections started to disappear. so i figure we're pretty entitled to boost an extra record here and there-but if it's a place where you could actually get caught doing it-most definitely not worth it,lol.I hear you on the beginning of a lot of records too-that does tend to happen quite a bit. I've had the scratch/skip problem a few times too,right when you find that one really ill little piece,lol-just happened the other day actually-but i thought it would be dope to use the sample anyway,with the little skip in it...

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:50 pm 

Yeah Mech I know what you mean, there were times I heard dope stuff beginning at the 2nd down beat but when I try to find it later I can't because my brain at the time was looking at the sound-cube from another angle but upon return, I see the cube at a different angle. Its a sonic illusion. I try to remember the spots I found such stuff and sample the whole part and auto-chop it to see if the machine can get it for me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't but most times I end up with something new and crazy.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:17 pm 

It is annoying when you sample something and it hits you all of a sudden, the tune you are making sounds dope because you heard that sample on another hip hop record. I was sampling BT express and it hit me Puffy used this on the first Ma$e record.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:17 pm 

i once cut up RAGU reaaaal similar to the ghost and rea track off a delphonics records and didn't realize it was used and almost identical to the origincal til i showed it to my homie and he called it out in like 5 seconds, can't believe i would miss that shit

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:12 pm 

I got this sesame street record with all these songs that have super ill instrumentals-some real official session musician shit..I got so amped about one of them,started fucking w/ it,then realized I was starting to recognize it..then I realized it was a remake of a famous barry white joint,with the lyrics changed around to be about counting--sung by cookie monster.

I love coming across records with samples i recognize though-even though that means I most likely probably won't use the record--the first time this happened was in the early 90's-before i was even making beats at all-just listening for what would be dope to sample someday- I had a couple boxes of records from my parents place-i was listening to the "hair" soundtrack,and came across the sample pete rock used for "down with the kings"by run dmc--the first time that happens to you it's mad exciting. The most excited i ever got was in the early 00's,and I came across the "93 till" main sample on a billy cobham record....I flipped the fuck out on that one,lol-it's like my 2nd favorite beat of all time. Damn,wish I still had all the records I've lost over the years due to some bullshit or other...

Also what about when you flip something BEFORE a well known producer does?-that's some shit-espescially if it's something you didn't think was that ill-I've done that with a bunch of stuff-most recently roddy rod of low budget flipping a chambers brother sample i made a beat out of 3 years ago and never did anything with...shit I even thought of the "Theifs Theme" concept like 15 years ago,lol-was gonna make a song about boosting with that nas vocal sample cut up-same with that jeru "you wanna front,what..." about the same time-got done by dilated or someone like that a few years ago...that's alright though i still got my q-tip "do that do that do do that that that" hook-nobody steal that.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:07 am 
505 Award Winner '09

what mecha describes happens to me all. the. time. it makes me wanna bring the 404 into the record store and just sample it from the listening booth. :D but the store dudes would NOT dig that.

i also have this thing where if i see some other lo-fi guy in the bins, i feel all stressed cuz i KNOW he's gonna find ish before i can get to it.

i have also pulled the same record outta the bins on multiple visits, cuz i feel like there HAS to be something good on it (like, cuzza the line up or the cover or whatevs) even tho it sucks. next time, try again. :roll:

post post post rock:
http://www.myspace.com/faunaflage | http://soundcloud.com/faunaflage

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:44 pm 

@ aD - 93 till remake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzto0p__ ... ture=feedu This dude remakes all the classics.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:31 pm 

ha ha,yea that's dope...he didn't quite make an exact replica though as mentioned in the comments-he's missing some of the other horn stabs,but still,he did a perfect job of using filter and eq to make the keys/bass sound exactly like it does in 93 till-man i got so many memories tied to that beat.... :mrgreen: " I roam the strip for bones to pick..." someone in a prior thread said eminem was the first mc after kane and rakim to take multi-syllable rhyming to the next level- but it was no doubt heiro-they'll never get the propper credit they deserve for that.