It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:39 pm

Post subject: digging gems
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:32 pm 

What are y'all favorite records y'all found while out digging?

I recently found this Captain Sky joint with some dope breaks on there.

Also how do you deal with stores who over prices records and charge based off discogs? I been to a couple of stores where I find records that I own but they charge like 3 times the price.

Post subject: Re: digging gems
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:07 am 

If you find a record you already own that costs 3 times as much as you bought it for, be glad that you got it originally, I once raided the dollar section of records before the the dealers realized all the good shit that was in there and upped the prices of em.

Also yeah it is kinda trash when you want something but it costs so much, but then sometimes you just need to pick out that cheap record that youve been eyeing on and just try it out yo, and dont be afraid of going into different genres. I usually like to go to rock because the drums are real fukin loud and crunchy, and you can usually find really good bass or guitar sounds in there too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:57 pm 

Def go outside your genre. When I first started I knew the best way to learn was by experience.....the only record store I have within an hour & a half drive is Goodwill......so I would buy records in bulk on ebay, no idea what I was buying, 50 cents to a buck a piece & I would sample & chop anything & everything. Yeah I made some shitty beats, but I learned SOOOOOO much. My beats got better & I knew what to listen for when sampling. I still do it to challenge myself, I'll grab a record at random, sample the first thing. Sometimes I would get something that I thought was horrible, but was able to flip it into something amazing. It's a good feeling. It's addicting.
Sorry to derail the thread, if I remember I'll come back & list some of the good stuff I've found.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:00 pm 

found this record digging in the crates one day. The whole album is fire
https://www.discogs.com/David-Sancious- ... ter/448457
got it for $10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:04 pm 

My last score was Bobby Hutchersons Montara and Santana's Oneness and his Illuminations album with Alice Coltrane. I also just got the new nightmares on wax and ras g's the gospel of godspell, which I had never heard of before and I guess was mostly made with a 303, that dude releases a lot of obscure one off stuff.
Also I work at record store and we price stuff of discogs when we don't know what else to do so I have compassion for those stores lol we try our best to keep it fair and reasonable and not fuck people over. It's impossible to know how much every record is worth so discogs is a good place to work from. I definitely agree some places way overprice shit when they do that but I think dedicated record stores (i.e. not thrift stores) usually do an ok job of keeping it fair and not gouging, at least in my area.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:28 pm 

Lou- wrote:
If you find a record you already own that costs 3 times as much as you bought it for, be glad that you got it originally, I once raided the dollar section of records before the the dealers realized all the good shit that was in there and upped the prices of em.

Real ones know, got that one Collins & Collins self-titled for a buck as well as Kashif's debut. VG+baby, wyld

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:20 pm 

I'm at work, so goin off memory, maybe this weekend I'll list some of the stuff in my 'special stack'. Some of these are probably well known, I rarely research what albums have good samples, it's just a preference to find them myself.

Great album, Stanley Clarke, not sure the title of it, but his name is in white on the album cover, thick burnt orange border, pic of him in the middle playin guitar (a lot of good stuff on this one)

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes - Found at least 1 good drum break

Al Martino - To the door of the sun - either the 1st song on side A or 1st on side b, straight fire. Chopped it up, pitched it all the way down, made the bass line/deeper melody then sprinkled piano notes on top at the regular pitch. If you listen to the beginning of the song you'll know what I mean.

The Blue Man Group Live.......hehe........this is actually a cd, my parents saw them live in Vegas.....crazy percussion & guitar, a lot of dark sounds.