It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:09 am

Post subject: Chinese Whispers experiment ( beatmaking challenge )
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:11 pm 

Hey - so I've been thinking a chinese whispers style experiment might be fun. The idea is that I'll post up a loop from one of my beats, in this case, just a bit part. Someone takes that loop and makes a new beat. They then post a different loop from their new beat and then someone takes that and makes their own. Afterwards, we can string them all together and see how different our beats are but still have continuity from one beat to the other. I have no idea how this will work or if anyone wants to do it but whatever. Here's an 8 bar loop. Let's try to keep the loops from 8 to 16 bars. Maybe when you finish the beat you can send it to me and post a loop from the beat for the next person. Once I get enough I'll post the entire thing. The idea I guess is that our progress is kept secret from others. I'm also open to workflow ideas. Do we need to claim a turn or first one to send me one gets that loop and gets to submit the next one.

Anyone interested?

Moderators - please let me know if this isn't the forum to post this.

here's my contribution link, it's 8 bars at 93bpm. Straight from Record off an old beat of mine from the 303 so there's space at the beginning. Feel free to loop it straight or chop it up! Lets just try to keep it recognizable so it flows.

chinese whispers loop1.aif - 3.47MB

Post subject: Re: chinese whispers experiment
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:19 pm 

megamaeng wrote:
Hey - so I've been thinking a chinese whispers style experiment might be fun. The idea is that I'll post up a loop from one of my beats, in this case, just a bit part. Someone takes that loop and makes a new beat. They then post a different loop from their new beat and then someone takes that and makes their own. Afterwards, we can string them all together and see how different our beats are but still have continuity from one beat to the other. I have no idea how this will work or if anyone wants to do it but whatever. Here's an 8 bar loop. Let's try to keep the loops from 8 to 16 bars. Maybe when you finish the beat you can send it to me and post a loop from the beat for the next person. Once I get enough I'll post the entire thing. The idea I guess is that our progress is kept secret from others. I'm also open to workflow ideas. Do we need to claim a turn or first one to send me one gets that loop and gets to submit the next one.

Anyone interested?

here's my contribution link, it's 8 bars at 93bpm. Straight from Record off an old beat of mine from the 303 so there's space at the beginning. Feel free to loop it straight or chop it up! Lets just try to keep it recognizable so it flows.

chinese whispers loop1.aif - 3.47MB

nice idea.
if i have time, i'm in.

Post subject: Re: chinese whispers experiment
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:49 am 

cool -

i think we should approach it like just add something quick, throw on some drums and shit and pass it on. Let's not feel like our reps are riding on this :)

Post subject: Re: Chinese Whispers experiment ( beatmaking challenge )
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:13 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

Quote:
Do we need to claim a turn or first one to send me one gets that loop and gets to submit the next one.

I think people should let us know when they are working on something perhaps, but it's probably fine when people use the same base loop to make their beats anyway. Usually the results are different enough over here. 8)

Quote:

It's fine with me. I've changed the topic name a bit so people will know what this is about, also stickied it.

I like the idea, but I'm not sure if it would work. Wouldn't this mean we should all make beats at the same tempo too? Of course, in the final mix you can change the tempos gradually to make it all fit in, so perhaps that's no an issue.

I hope cats will join in on this too.

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:07 pm 

PHeMoX wrote:
I like the idea, but I'm not sure if it would work. Wouldn't this mean we should all make beats at the same tempo too? Of course, in the final mix you can change the tempos gradually to make it all fit in, so perhaps that's no an issue.

I hope cats will join in on this too.

I have no idea if it will work either! :mrgreen:

I kinda like the idea of people using whatever tempo they want and then trying to fit it in later. I think this will be so disjointed anyway that changing tempo won't be so distracting. It's really simple to ramp a tempo change with great timestretch results in Record so it wouldn't be a problem for me to smooth out anything. I'm not in any rush either so if people are bored or need to break out of writers block, try it out!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:48 pm 

I like this idea. Shit has been so busy lately as I have been preparing to move to the mountains. Denver or bust. But, if I get some time I will chop and add to this.

I will download this now and maybe see what I can come up with later today or this weekend.

Hopefully more join in. Might be kinda cool.

pushing buttons and shit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:09 pm 
Most Creative Producer of the Year '09

i like the idea...very much...

i had a similar one with a more grand aspiration...too grand...it failed.
i was thinking we all just contribute random loops with the same sample and somehow glue it all together, but this could make things more coherent by flipping loops

the question is...if you are putting it out for everyone wont that change the feel from being a communication more to a crowd of people talking?

maybe it should be like a pm system, we make a list of people and they flip it one after another so it sounds like an ever changing song

just a thought

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:44 am 

hurlingdervish wrote:
maybe it should be like a pm system, we make a list of people and they flip it one after another so it sounds like an ever changing song

Yes definitely it would be great if it could be like an ever changing song. That's kinda why I thought it should be first come first serve. We might wait forever for people if we have a set order. I'm busy too! Maybe once someone uses the loop and sends me the beat and posts their snippet, the previous sample is no longer in play. Hopefully that will motivate people. The idea was to have fun, a little break from our own beat projects, and then look forward to the end results. Should we say after each 5 we post the strung together beat?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:46 am 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

5 for starters sounds good to me. We can of course change or add the renewed loop to the first post.

I think it's a good idea to start small, this sounds like a fun concept. So... lets start!

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:25 pm 

ok, 505 is ok for me :)