M I B 93  40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Green Dutch  20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Chopperman  10%  10%  [ 1 ]
kid pasta  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: Re: P O L L - SPBB#250 - P O L L
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:06 pm 

Quote:
Ur lucky to b so gifted bro! Ur illustration work is dope. It’s always a challenge managing time... especially when it’s so much fun making beats!!!

I appreciate that! I'm surely about to sound like a pretentious douche, but it always bothers me a little when my drawing talent is called 'lucky' or a 'gift', because its been years of frequent, painstaking practice. I was lucky to have parents who supported my creativity tho, for sure. But I torture myself over pretty much every drawing, and when I mess one up after many hours of careful, focused work, it can be really devastating. I think it was Jerry Seinfeld who said something like "the key to success is finding the torture you're comfortable with." Now that my personal torture of choice is clear to me, I try to keep beatmaking as fun and painless as possible. With music, I hang loose like Double K with The P. With drawing I tighten up like Archie Bell with The Drells. Speaking of which, that joint could provide some good samplage. Just throwing it out there. I might set up the battle tomorrow night if no one else comes forward.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:57 am 

Haha! & I said ur lucky & gifted! Yeah dude... not implying u were born into them skills. I know it’s hard work. I’m a graphic designer by trade. The creative path is a lot of work. The one that bothers me is when the non-creatives call our work “play”. “U get to play around all day”, that sort of thing. On-demand creativity is a major brain drain & is far from easy or “playing around” most of the time. As you probably know, ur creative passion takes on a whole new dimension when it’s your source of income. As u said, u gotta keep it tight. That being said, there’s also a major diff between selling ur skills & selling ur art.

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:09 am 

BUMP!

5 days since the poll ended. It think it's safe to say MIB is MIA. Anyone want to start the next battle? Maybe runner up's?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:23 am 

Pretty sure he just changed his name on here. If there's nothing up by tonight I'll start a new one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:25 pm 

Ghost Bazz wrote:
That being said, there’s also a major diff between selling ur skills & selling ur art.

I recently realized how true this is. I try to start a new drawing right after I finish one, so most days when I wake up I have a piece in progress. When its something I want to draw, I wake up excited to work on it. When its something I'm paid to draw, I wake up dreading the work. It somewhat determines the trajectory and momentum of my mood for the day. So now I mostly stick to my list of things I am inspired to draw, starting with the ones I think might actually sell. Okay, self-indulgent battle thread hijack over.