It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:57 am

Who brought the finest waves?
Poll ended at Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:34 am
Yon. https://soundcloud.com/0h5gu2/v7hne7  33%  33%  [ 2 ]
drmnaga78 https://soundcloud.com/duncan-maybury-1/distant-feeling  50%  50%  [ 3 ]
Ghost Bazz https://soundcloud.com/ghostbazz/sp-synth-06  17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: All Synth SPBB#06
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:34 am 

The theme of this challenge was...

Sine vs Saw! Open to all synths, hardware or software, virtual or analog. Your composition must prominently feature either the smooth sounds of a sine wave synth or the cutting power of a sawtooth synth. Or use both.

SOUNDCLOUD

Post subject: Re: All Synth SPBB#06
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:52 pm 

Yo! I enjoyed the hell out of both of these! Drmnaga... those drums r nuts. Always it seems u r killing the percussion. My best description is to call it some kind of stuttery glitchy approach to hip hop drums. It’s unique to my ear, and I like it. Yon - dope synth sounds! This sounds like the soundtrack for Zelda on the NES, or some other game... I know it’s not, but this 8-bit synth palette is sick. Sounds just like a gameboy or NES. Voted Yon for the synth work. Nice job fam!

Honorable mention goes to Forest for crafting this cool non-entry: https://soundcloud.com/calltheforest/dancing-cells

SOUNDCLOUD

Last edited by ghost bazz on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:55 pm 

All fantastic listen, hope you fellas don't mind me voting. Went Drmnaga, though other two where both close second.

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:00 pm 

Kegeratorz wrote:
All fantastic listen, hope you fellas don't mind me voting. Went Drmnaga, though other two where both close second.

Thanks for voting g! Much appreciated! No requirement for participating in the battle to drop a vote. I should’ve mentioned it up top.

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:48 pm 

Yon. - Awesome textures. Dig the down tempo groove and the choice of sounds. Creative jam.
drmnaga78 - Killer deep bass, but not over powering. Dig the click-clack percs and the over all mix is grungy but everything sits nice in it's own place.
Ghost Bazz - The percussion in this fun is to hear, I kinda forget it has such a dark vibe. Plenty of interesting sounds. That synth @ 1:35 is great.

Everyone killed it on the use of reverb too! Props to forest also, he dropped a link for some chord tape loops sample pack in the Library forum, a bunch nice dirty sounds, maybe he will join up again. Looking forward to the next synth battle, I had too much loaded on the 303 for this round. (I think I need a new SP this year... 202 + 303 + ? )

Dropped a vote for drmnaga78.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:20 am 

That was tough they were both enjoyable. I liked the jazzyness of Yons and the drums reminded me of Portishead. I liked the darkness of Ghosts, that bass synth at around 2mins reminded me of an old Dr Octagon track. Voted Yon. Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:20 pm 

Man... everything is sounding amazing. I really dig that everyone went to something kinda sci-fi. All this wobbliness warms my heart lol.

I had so much coffee right now at work that I can't really conscious comment on everyone's song lol. As I said, all this is sounding sci-fi to me and Drmnaga brought this bass/saw that reminded me the ending of this new annihilation movie (that is a must watch guys XD) and well, this worth my vote.

And yeah, Hungryman, I'm looking for the next one. I'm using my sp202 and I already really really like it. I will not just open Ableton next time lol. I need to figure out how to compose and play a whole song in it since it does not have a pitch sequencer to really build melodic and harmonic lines on it.

Thanks for hosting this, guys :)

edit: oh, and thanks a lot for the mentioning!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:57 am 

forest wrote:
And yeah, Hungryman, I'm looking for the next one. I'm using my sp202 and I already really really like it. I will not just open Ableton next time lol. I need to figure out how to compose and play a whole song in it since it does not have a pitch sequencer to really build melodic and harmonic lines on it.

Most of these battles, especially for 202 only users, will allow you to bounce audio back and forth between SP and a DAW or tape, since the 202 doesn't have a sequencer or a resample function.

To give you an idea on how you could use the 202 and a software synth in Ableton for the synth battle - you could play a note or a chord (with a midi keyboard or on your computer keyboard in Ableton) while sampling the note/chord into the 202 on a pad. Repeat until you have enough parts to make a melody or rhythm. Play those pads live recording back into Ableton (with whatever SP effects you choose) to make a loop. Using the metronome also will help. Sample that loop back into the 202 on 1 pad. Mark the start and end points and set to loop. Then sample some drums on the 202 on different pads. Play the loop while playing drums on top of it, while recording back into Ableton. Sample it back to the 202 on 1 pad. Now you have a loop with drums on it. Continue this process and you can build a song from loops and pieces. It takes some planning and you may have to delete pads with individual samples as you go, but you will soon become a 202 jedi.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:48 am 

HUNGRYMAN wrote:
Most of these battles, especially for 202 only users, will allow you to bounce audio back and forth between SP and a DAW or tape, since the 202 doesn't have a sequencer or a resample function.

To give you an idea on how you could use the 202 and a software synth in Ableton for the synth battle - you could play a note or a chord (with a midi keyboard or on your computer keyboard in Ableton) while sampling the note/chord into the 202 on a pad. Repeat until you have enough parts to make a melody or rhythm. Play those pads live recording back into Ableton (with whatever SP effects you choose) to make a loop. Using the metronome also will help. Sample that loop back into the 202 on 1 pad. Mark the start and end points and set to loop. Then sample some drums on the 202 on different pads. Play the loop while playing drums on top of it, while recording back into Ableton. Sample it back to the 202 on 1 pad. Now you have a loop with drums on it. Continue this process and you can build a song from loops and pieces. It takes some planning and you may have to delete pads with individual samples as you go, but you will soon become a 202 jedi.

Oh, the next one will be fun lol! Right now I'm sampling into 202 and sketching the track, then I bounce everything to Ableton and organize it like I was playing on the 202, making some adjustments, playing something on top and calling it a day. This adds another step in my process, but wow, the 202 machine actually made an improvement to my workflow. Tbh, when I learned the basics around the 202 I, for the first time, understood why people always talk about workflow stuff. When I just randomly open Ableton, I easily get lost, with the 202 I can focus much better, it's weirdly amazing. Thanks for all the technics lay down, man, I really appreciate that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:39 pm 

forest wrote:
Oh, the next one will be fun lol! Right now I'm sampling into 202 and sketching the track, then I bounce everything to Ableton and organize it like I was playing on the 202, making some adjustments, playing something on top and calling it a day. This adds another step in my process, but wow, the 202 machine actually made an improvement to my workflow. Tbh, when I learned the basics around the 202 I, for the first time, understood why people always talk about workflow stuff. When I just randomly open Ableton, I easily get lost, with the 202 I can focus much better, it's weirdly amazing. Thanks for all the technics lay down, man, I really appreciate that.

No problem! I might have made it sound easier than it is. I forget about the 202's limited polyphony with mono/stereo, effects, and A/B vs. C/D banks. I mostly use mine for crushing drums and bouncing them off. For the battles, just make sure your not arranging or sequencing in Ableton, just use it to bounce, but go wild in your own production. I know what you mean, I use Ableton also, I love it. But there are so many different ways to make music with it, you can get lost sometimes. Happy beatmaking!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:39 pm 

Congratz on the win, drmnaga!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:37 am 

Thanks Guys, I will put up another synth challenge later..