It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 pm

Post subject: Alternative battle format
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:49 am 

Maybe we can make an alternative to the main beat battle, some kind of experimental platform.

For example, a battle were each who will take part can put a sample (even the most unusable :mrgreen: ) that will be optional, but the winner's samples are obligatory... 2 days to collect samples, 5 days to make a beat, 2 days poll...?

If it sounds interesting, let's define some principles to get it work.
What your thoughts? :D

Post subject: Re: Alternative battle format
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:02 am 

could even do something along the lines of submitting a special rule for the flip (for example: flip the samples in 4 or more different ways, the beat must include a tempo change of some kind, mandatory k-pop acapellas, can only use carrots to trigger your sp's pads, ect.)

i just think if everyone submits a sample, we could end up with a mess (which i suppose wouldnt be a bad thing)

this is definitely just food for thought
but team battles would be an interesting idea too
everyone who wants to get down with the battle splits into groups of 2 or 3 to collab on one beat

though i think to coordinate collabs we'd need a little more time so that would probably work better over a two week basis
(3 or 4 days to figure out teams, 7 day battle, 3 day poll)

https://soundcloud.com/goodmamamama

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:36 am 

GOODMAMA wrote:
, can only use carrots to trigger your sp's pads, ect.)

:lol:

GOODMAMA wrote:
Team battles would be an interesting idea too
everyone who wants to get down with the battle splits into groups of 2 or 3 to collab on one beat

though i think to coordinate collabs we'd need a little more time so that would probably work better over a two week basis
(3 or 4 days to figure out teams, 7 day battle, 3 day poll)

DEF YES FOR TEAM BATTLE / TEKKEN TAG MODE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:16 pm 

Quote:
could even do something along the lines of submitting a special rule for the flip

yeah man, sometimes special rules are set by the hoster in the main battle, so this is def. possible.
Quote:
i just think if everyone submits a sample, we could end up with a mess (which i suppose wouldnt be a bad thing)

Maybe, it can be a mess or it can work, you never know until you try, even if it's end up with a mess, it can give an idea on how to do it better, plus i suppose that not many will put samples... This idea proceed from some battles when there were several winners, and each of them gave samples, and it was very interesting to combine elements from different people.
Quote:
this is definitely just food for thought
but team battles would be an interesting idea too

That's an huge idea that must be considered and developed! But it will take time, 2 weeks that's pretty long...
I assumed a quick battle, simple loop with less chops possible, a kind of microwave battle..?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:29 pm 

I think this is a pretty cool initiative otbt.

And 'microwave battle' could be the snappy title to differentiate it from the main battle which already has loads of room for rule-variations like carrots and collabos... what i think would be cool about your idea is having a tight schedule that's fixed to the week like samples posted on a thursday, submissions through to monday and voting tuesday/wednesday or something like that...

If it's fixed, and posting samps is open to everyone then ther'd never be a wait to get started and never any confusion over what stage of the process it is... deadline always the same day, new samps always up the same day etc etc

The trick i think is to kick it off and see if it flies. Iron bugs out as it goes.

Main SP battle already well-established and 7 day subs w/ 3 day poll works great .... even the wait for the new battle to start not such a big deal - relaxed chillout vibes. And the resample challenge already is the 3 month battle lol! Nice to have smthng with a faster turnaround as well. And mbe a 60 second max timelimit on subs in the spirit of the SP microwave.

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:54 pm 

otbt wrote:
Quote:
I assumed a quick battle, simple loop with less chops possible, a kind of microwave battle..?

l i f wrote:
And mbe a 60 second max timelimit on subs in the spirit of the SP microwave.

could def get down with a microwave battle

https://soundcloud.com/goodmamamama

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:22 pm 

GOODMAMA wrote:
otbt wrote:
Quote:

l i f wrote:

i, too, am here for this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:32 pm 

A weekly battle linked to days sounds good.
If for example it begins in monday (or whatever) so in friday/sunday the poll is set up.
That's why i think that if the last winner(s) can't bring a new battle in "monday", it can be done by any other involved.
That doesn't mean that you must drop a sample to take part in the battle, it's free to everyone as usual, but let's say there will be contributors to battle...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:02 pm 

yeh man - i think eryones on the same wavelength here... just down to picking the day for it to start, like what day samples are up and then 7-day cycle from there... i suggested thurs on the assumption that most ppl find time to drop ish on the weekend, but monday works as well fr me.. not a day goes by when i'm not lit up on the sampler...

Worth doing a poll on it... or drop a suggestion in this thread? Or just shoot randoms..

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:16 pm 

GOODMAMA wrote:
otbt wrote:
Quote:

l i f wrote:

++ MICROWAVED UNION

SHORT DEADLINE / SHORT POLL

! MORE SYNTH SUBMISSIONS !

I AM FED UP TO SEE JAZZ SAMPLES EVERYTIME :x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:37 pm 

Post samps on Wednesday morning.
Sub entries Sunday
Poll on Sunday evening/Monday, leaving Monday and Tuesday enough time for voting.

Select victor on Wednesday, repeat cycle?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:23 am 

I picked up monday just cuz its easier to figure out, you know, like the first weekday in the calendar lol! But also i assumed that if for example on monday-tuesday there will be some samples posted, then you can start chopping the appropriate ones, if on wednesday there is also something convenient, you grab it and start making the beat...
Considering that it's a microwave battle, i guess we need 2-3 days (for someones maybe 2-3 hours lol) to get the beat ready...
So the poll on weekends seems cool, grab some high grade buds and give a listen to microwave dishes... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:59 am 

Let's start this monday then... or what? Kick it off!

With a deadline based on.... Hawaii-time? (Date-line changes somewhere between Hawaii and New Zealand... means we aren't so LA-centric and YUBA doesn't lose 4 hours or w/ever it is on the evening of the deadline..?)

Can upload samps to w/ever service and just link in the thread, or some kind of central upload point..? (Former prolly more open, easier..)

I suggest samples are say, one file per person and no longer than 30 seconds.. within that could do like one 30 second slice of a song or thirty 1 second cuts from different sources, even synths (hehheh) ... whaddayasay?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:26 pm 

HAWAII TIME IS LEGIT

1 SAMPLE/PERS IS LEGIT WITH YOUR RULES

FOR THE UPLOAD SOMEONE JUST NEED TO CREATE AN ACCOUNT ON BOX AND GIVES THE ID/PASSWORD TO THE FORUM (BOX IS COOL BECAUSE YOU CAN CREATE A FOLDER FOR EACH BATTLE AND I DON T KNOW WHY I DON T FUCK WITH GOOGLE DRIVE)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:47 pm 

For samples uploads i suggest Zippyshare.com. It's free, no registration needed, and audio can be listened. And when the link is posted, do it with something like SaMpS! to be distinctive.
About the samples length i was thinking the same, not longer than 30 sec. of song's slice or 30 sec. of different snippets (1-shots, loops, synths, drums, bass or whatever...)

For the start day and the time zone we can make a poll..?
Let's wait this week tho, no reason to hurry, maybe there will be other ideas, plus some samples will be dug :)