It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:01 am

Post subject: Re: Alternative battle format
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:18 am 

otbt wrote:
Ah yeah! Thank you Lif! :D

Quote:
each participant post a link to the file they've uploaded in the thread?

That's what i assumed, each post the link to the uploaded sample.
Quote:
Would also like to suggest that multiple entries be allowed... what do peeps reckon?

That's cool man, in the point 6 it will fit perfectly :)
Quote:
No outside samples or instruments are permitted.

Agree with that, but what with the subsonic, how to consider it?

Quote:
7. Deadline for entries / opening of the Poll is Midnight Friday Pacific Time. The poll runs for three days.

If we must have a winner on monday, that's mean that the poll must be for 2 days?
And here i think same thing as you've suggested with the start: if at 12 midday saturday there is no poll, it can be set by anyone. So on monday if the winner hasn't start the new battle before midnight, it can be done by anyone?

I see you made these changes in the inaugural thread... big ups!

With subsonic/extra instruments etc - I reckon use an SP. Any SP. If your SP has onboard synth and other's don't... well that's your advantage. Other sp's have dbeam, or dj-looper effxx... others don't. This may be an advantage or not.

I see in another offshoot of this discussion it might be worth defining loosely what a "Microwave" is... I'd be happy to attempt this later, but it might suffice to say somewhere in the rules that no external mastering is allowed bar volume-normalisation. More than that it's just how much dopeness can you get into 60 seconds of raw SP flippage...

Arite, Ima load my samps to the SP-Box.

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:14 am 

Quote:
This may be an advantage or not.

Ok!
Quote:
I see in another offshoot of this discussion it might be worth defining loosely what a "Microwave" is... I'd be happy to attempt this later

Yeh, cool!
Quote:
no external mastering is allowed bar volume-normalisation. More than that it's just how much dopeness can you get into 60 seconds of raw SP flippage...

About external mastering (eq, comp..) agree, but with the volume-normalize...?
In my case i don't know why, but when i record to PC it does it in -6db (even if i turn the SP or the input volume up, it stay at -6db but the sound is distorted..?), so without the peak maximization it's barely audible...

:idea: Maybe in future battles we could use sample(s?) from past battles?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:55 am 

yeah i was devo all you voted for mondays, weekends is the time to get down surely..

i voted friday

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:21 pm 

HeyzousBahaFrancis wrote:
yeah i was devo all you voted for mondays, weekends is the time to get down surely..

i voted friday

I wouldve voted friday too, but the crowd spoke its mind...

I reckon though that it might be nice to get more of a flow on these battles and to keep pushing the tempo, vitamin-injection-styles, to make the regular battle a weekly thing too. EG:

MICROWAVE: Mon -> Fri
Poll Sat/Sun

SP BEAT BATTLE - Fri -> Wed
Poll: Th/Fri

Just my opinion that by having fixed days for shit means no confusion/waiting and then the two battles don't ever compete with each other (we're, like, not trying to replace one with the other...)

Also, I feel strongly that voting should be done by a post in the thread, not by the auto-poll and that No vote = No win.

The rules for the MWB are that polling ends midnight sunday; the only way to get the auto-poll to close at that time is to start it at exactly midnight friday... can't see that happening. Anonymous drive-by votes are just weird. Not voting is wack.

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5