It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:13 pm

who wins????
Poll ended at Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:57 pm
Chopperman - https://soundcloud.com/chopperman/spbb178  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
l i f - https://soundcloud.com/l_i_f/l-i-f-brax ... ns-spbb178  14%  14%  [ 1 ]
YUNG TOMAGOTCHI - https://soundcloud.com/yngtmgtchi/sp178  57%  57%  [ 4 ]
Freshserf - https://soundcloud.com/freshserfpro/rea ... ix-spbb178  29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject: Battle 178 poll
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:57 pm 

I liked the idea of giving voters two choices but that seems silly with just 4 entries. Maybe we can try that out next time.

Post subject: Re: Battle 178 poll
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:21 am 

Chopperman - I immediately gravitated towards the video. This footage is doing nothing to enhance the sonic experience. I think I liked the beat better before I saw this video.

l i f - Hmmm.. Very unorthodox.. yet somewhat enjoyable. This, along with your soundcloud profile pic, reminds me of Aphex Twin.

YUNG TOMAGOTCHI - ...... z Z z

Freshserf - beegees stuck in a cave?? This is probably the most listenable track out of the batch.

Maaaaaaaaaaan wtf happened? These beat battles were going pretty strong for a minute. It surprises me and disappoints me to only see four submissions this time around.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:32 am 

r4ph431 wrote:
Maaaaaaaaaaan wtf happened? These beat battles were going pretty strong for a minute. It surprises me and disappoints me to only see four submissions this time around.

probably because of the challenging samples, confusion about rules, and 3 day wait between battles. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm pretty sure it will pick right back up

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:33 am 

r4ph431 wrote:
This footage is doing nothing to enhance the sonic experience.

whatever dude, that carwash footage is dope. its definitely a half-assed video tho, i'll give you that

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:08 am 

voted yung tami cuz i can

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:02 am 

Thank you, i'm glad my music puts you to sleep, it's one of the most intimate and romantic things in life. <3 <3
love, yngtmgtchi.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:59 pm 

Hey Rak! Running the risk of stating the obvious.. but maybe others like yourself were too busy to get a flip up there? (KEL!! Would have loved to have heard what you kudda come up with -- next time!! ;-) )

I struggled with the sample myself... all that bass sax and bass, etc, single tones and percussion were hard to work with an change to a beat-context. Btw, if anyone here hasn't heard much or any Braxton before, he runs a lot of hard-speed-bop tunes as well or stuff with more of a pulse... a monster in jazz really, esp. for his contribution to composition, though I find his tone a bit reedy and thin for the most part and don't have a large collection he's worth checking out.

With the toughness in the samples in mind it's a pretty easy vote for me giving it to Tamagotchi - great use of heaps of different elements, composition/narrative... satisfies all my experimental leanings while still having a dope groove. Understated (sleepy? yah, nah... I like there's space for the listener to fill in parts rather than getting the slap-up-the-side-of-the-head styles approach.. which is a road that easily couldve been taken with those Naked City drums - Boom!)

Dug your tracks too Fresh and Chopper - Fresh esp. from the perspective of pulling a melody-loop out, working the resample and getting the timing on the 'pella to work - no mean feat.

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:17 pm 

ELITES ONLY ON THIS ROUND (jk)

I dug all the beats, voted for LIF for those funky drums and wonky sound....... I'd like to see a vid of how you make your tracks cool samples, one critique is that the mix wasn't as "oomphy" as it could be with is the bane of reverbing drums I find...

I liked Choppermans beat but a bit long with not a lot of changes, although I think the fugees rap would've sounded a thousand times iller on your grimy beat. Save that one for a crew rap ;)

Yung Tami had the best atmosphere and mix, the drums sounded really cool with the weird muffled timpani thing in the background but I was kinda of waiting for something to drop that never did. Good use of effects though.

I dunno what the weather has been like elsewhere in the world but up here in Ontario this is like the first nice week we've had in 6 months and the East Coast has just been buried in snow... so I bet a bunch of people are just trying to defrost their face in some sun...

I just go through the motions a lot of time with these beats, very formulaic... I need to listen to some SP music that isn't hip-hoppy type stuff. I'd like to start making stuff that isn't on a straight time-signature, with more depth and feeling, less filler... Anybody know any cool outside-the-box music made inside the box?

Peace fam.

microKORG
Casio XW-P1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:41 pm 

Hi there,
Enjoyed listening to all beats, haven't heard the samples so I can't really judge the amount of work that went into process. (Not saying, I would know if... but, oh well).
LIF - hard hitting, avant guarde, interesting
Chopperman - dense and thick,
Freshserf - sounded really nice

I vote Young Tamagotchi for the softness and kind sounds - struck me as different and refreshing. My associations sort of ran to the (pizzicato?) intro of Ann Peebles "I Can't Stand the Rain".

Quote:
I just go through the motions a lot of time with these beats, very formulaic... I need to listen to some SP music that isn't hip-hoppy type stuff. I'd like to start making stuff that isn't on a straight time-signature, with more depth and feeling, less filler... Anybody know any cool outside-the-box music made inside the box?

(Since I suck at hiphop) Maybe a "no-hiphop-challenge" could be an idea for a future battle? :D :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:44 pm 

Quote:
(Since I suck at hiphop) Maybe a "no-hiphop-challenge" could be an idea for a future battle? :D :wink:

Fantastic idea!

microKORG
Casio XW-P1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:21 pm 

even with the entry shortage i believe this was a great round. the other flips were brilliant and its likely that this lack of entries will make us more appreciative of the future abundance of them.

i vote Freshserf.. you did that Fugees classic justice!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:38 pm 

Thanks for the votes no doubt all entries this round were masterful but... gongrats YUNG TAMAGOTCHI for killin' it, bless us with some samps!

microKORG
Casio XW-P1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:12 pm 

congrats to Yung Tomagotchi!
facebook.com/beatbattletrophycabinet

Attachments:
spb178 yung t.jpg
spb178 yung t.jpg [ 47.51 KiB | Viewed 6608 times ]

Last edited by Chopperman on Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:14 pm 

.. just realized I spelled your name wrong. sorry!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:01 am 

YUNG TAMAGOTCHI wrote:

Thank you, i'm glad my music puts you to sleep, it's one of the most intimate and romantic things in life. <3 <3
love, yngtmgtchi.

:lol: