Awesome Member

BEATS ROUND 1
(enable autoplay or download)

wax inspektor as DONKEY KONG / 9 β€ąţ ȼ๏ʍβ๏ (・∀・) as MEGA MAN
Kei Kurono as LINK / rak as THA ICE CLIMBAZ / Kel as WARIO /
Unfolding as SONIC / Yung Tamagotchi as SAMUS ARAN /
tinge as DIDDY KONG / rtchrd as JIGGLYPUFF / Teewok as LITTLE MAC
OgGhoul as MARTH / kuresshendo as YOSHI / Yuba as MEW
/ pleb man as KIRBY / riPaddo as POKÉMON TRAINER / L0HEESH as R.O.B.

SP SMASH BROS. '15
ROUND 1:
VOTING

Congratulations to JIGGLYPUFF, SONIC and YOSHI - you guys made it to ROUND 2 just for being supercool.

we still got 5 Matches to vote on though - for less stress I'd recommend to download the folder or use the online box player (enable autoplay).
(There will be an ID-tagged and converted collection after the tourney!)

- participants got 4 votes - one vote per match & don't vote on your own match

- 5 votes (one per match) for anybody outside of the tournament

- in case of a draw there will be a microwave sudden death battle
(2-3days - random sample from round 1)

POLL RUNS FOR 2 DAYS ONLY

Round 2 starts right after the poll ended....

(names=links)

MATCH A
LITTLE MAC vs R.O.B.
Stage: SAMUS ARAN

MATCH B
LINK (no submission) vs JIGGLYPUFF
Stage: WARIO

MATCH C
POKÉMON TRAINER (no submission) vs SONIC
Stage: KIRBY

MATCH D
DA ICE CLIMBAZ vs MARTH
Stage: R.O.B.

MATCH E
WARIO vs MEGA MAN
Stage: YOSHI

MATCH F
KIRBY vs DONKEY KONG
Stage: DONKEY KONG

MATCH G
YOSHI vs DIDDY KONG (no submission)
Stage: JIGGLYPUFF

MATCH H

SAMUS ARAN vs MEW
Stage: LITTLE MAC

Last edited by wax inspektor on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:21 am, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject: Re: VOTING ROUND 1: SP SMASH BROS TOURNAMENT 2015
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:04 pm 
Awesome Member

MATCH A - LITTLE MAC vs R.O.B.
Damn... that was the toughest one. 2 different styles on a high level.
After a couple of spins R.O.B. stood out - proberbly the best beat of round1?!

MATCH D - DA ICE CLIMBAZ vs MARTH
Hard to judge - liked both beats but gave it to the Iceys because they fought them through the hard stage with less extra gimmicks... close one!

MATCH E - WARIO vs MEGA MAN
Both freaked the hell out of this sample - went with Kel.

MATCH H - SAMUS ARAN vs MEW
Couldn't relate to Samus' noise beam but I liked Mew's lofi attack so +1 for MEW

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:11 am 
Winner of Silver Medal
Winner of Silver Medal

wax inspektor wrote:
Congratulations to JIGGLYPUFF, SONIC and YOSHI - you guys made it to ROUND 2 just for being supercool.

Man, muhfugs dq'd already? Damn. Hope everyone surviving this round stays on it, shit's gonna be wild.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:16 am 

Voted 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:48 am 
Winner of Gold Medal
Winner of Gold Medal

My votes are in red..

MATCH A
LITTLE MAC vs R.O.B.

R.O.B – I feared that somebody would rock the shit out of that sample with SP effects and heavy bass. Sure enough you came at me with exactly that lol. Great beat… The bass and melodies were dope.. at the same time you also captured that robotic feel for his character

MATCH B

Jigglypuff – That’s a sample I would’ve struggled with. I thought you flipped it pretty well, I liked the gritty drums and jigglypuff squeaking throughout the track lol. Win by default.

MATCH C

Sonic – I thought the fast paced drums in the first half were a nice touch for your character. I liked when you mfxd the sonic charge at 1.08, that sounded sick. Win by default.

MATCH D
DA ICE CLIMBAZ vs MARTH

Da Ice Climbaz – This one is smooth as hell. I love the bassline with the neck snapping drum pattern. The beat could do without that popping in the background. I say this beat wins by a hair.

Marth – This beat is also smooth as hell…I got chills when that synth comes in at 48 secs. Nice work.

MATCH E
WARIO vs MEGA MAN

Wario – I like how you kept all the original sounds from the sample. You also made it darker which fits the Wario character better than the orig sample. You’re gonna hate me for this one but those drums kinda reminded me of like a Yung Joc song or like some snap music… I spent 15 mins trying to find the exact song I’m talking about but I just can’t remember it haha. I’ll pick Wario’s beat to advance. (edit - found it! lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdeUo-RggvA)

Mega Man – Also kept all the sounds from the orig sample. I liked the higher pitch sounds you were using there, kinda the opposite of what Kel was doing with his darker tones. I thought the drums were a bit too robotic for me and coulda used some swing.

MATCH F
KIRBY vs DONKEY KONG

Kirby – Very eerie mysterious beat. Feels like I’m walking in a dark alley-way. Kirby was def rocking a hoody in this one.

Donkey Kong – Siiick the way bass works with the drums in this. I like the progressive sounds as well, it just keeps getting better. I’ll give DK the edge.

MATCH G

Yoshi – Very nice! You worked in the flute perfectly with those rolling mallets in the sample. The groove of the drums and bass was dope as well. Win by default.

MATCH H
SAMUS ARAN vs MEW

Samus –Sounds You took punch out and shoved it into an Atari lol I liked how it formed together in the middle when you dropped in the bass… kinda jazzy in way how u let the melodies kinda run freely. Thought it was dope.

MEW – Damn this flip was insane! Neck snapping tune playing with all the right notes.. cool at the end when you just mess with the pitch. Awesome beat. This one gets my vote.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:51 am 

Teewok wrote:
My votes are in red..

MATCH A
LITTLE MAC vs R.O.B.

R.O.B – I feared that somebody would rock the shit out of that sample with SP effects and heavy bass. Sure enough you came at me with exactly that lol. Great beat… The bass and melodies were dope.. at the same time you also captured that robotic feel for his character

MATCH B

Jigglypuff – That’s a sample I would’ve struggled with. I thought you flipped it pretty well, I liked the gritty drums and jigglypuff squeaking throughout the track lol. Win by default.

MATCH C

Sonic – I thought the fast paced drums in the first half were a nice touch for your character. I liked when you mfxd the sonic charge at 1.08, that sounded sick. Win by default.

MATCH D
DA ICE CLIMBAZ vs MARTH

Da Ice Climbaz – This one is smooth as hell. I love the bassline with the neck snapping drum pattern. The beat could do without that popping in the background. I say this beat wins by a hair.

Marth – This beat is also smooth as hell…I got chills when that synth comes in at 48 secs. Nice work.

MATCH E
WARIO vs MEGA MAN

Wario – I like how you kept all the original sounds from the sample. You also made it darker which fits the Wario character better than the orig sample. You’re gonna hate me for this one but those drums kinda reminded me of like a Yung Joc song or like some snap music… I spent 15 mins trying to find the exact song I’m talking about but I just can’t remember it haha. I’ll pick Wario’s beat to advance. (edit - found it! lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdeUo-RggvA)

Mega Man – Also kept all the sounds from the orig sample. I liked the higher pitch sounds you were using there, kinda the opposite of what Kel was doing with his darker tones. I thought the drums were a bit too robotic for me and coulda used some swing.

MATCH F
KIRBY vs DONKEY KONG

Kirby – Very eerie mysterious beat. Feels like I’m walking in a dark alley-way. Kirby was def rocking a hoody in this one.

Donkey Kong – Siiick the way bass works with the drums in this. I like the progressive sounds as well, it just keeps getting better. I’ll give DK the edge.

MATCH G

Yoshi – Very nice! You worked in the flute perfectly with those rolling mallets in the sample. The groove of the drums and bass was dope as well. Win by default.

MATCH H
SAMUS ARAN vs MEW

Samus –Sounds You took punch out and shoved it into an Atari lol I liked how it formed together in the middle when you dropped in the bass… kinda jazzy in way how u let the melodies kinda run freely. Thought it was dope.

MEW – Damn this flip was insane! Neck snapping tune playing with all the right notes.. cool at the end when you just mess with the pitch. Awesome beat. This one gets my vote.

watch yo neck, kirby gon stab yo ass

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:03 am 

Sorry fellas, had a bunch of free time before the first round started but work came calling. I had already started my beat but saw the post. Wish I would have gotten a little extra time. Best of luck to all you guys.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:59 am 

A: R.O.B
this was the toughest one to pick cause i think both of you did that sample's justice.
besides being probably the hardest sample in the tourney both came up with really solid styles.

D: Da Ice Climbaz
again, i liked both flips but went with Ice cause he brought that beatbattle vibe to the table.

E: Wario
this was the most surprising outcome to me!
i wasn't sure about picking that sample up after hearing all the finalboss style samples people were coming up with
and you definitely turned that sh*t around to sound like that.. made a walk-in-the-park song to sound like wario.
really nice work!

F: Donkey Kong
builds up really smoothly. every element complements really well with each other. that pad layer caught my ear!

H: Mew
one of my favourites this round. also, it has the best intro and outro!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:43 am 

hey voting seems harder than making the beat...

battle A - R.O.B.
this one had 2 polarized styles, teewoks had a battle vibe going but went loheesh simply on the fact that it made me want to smoke a bowl and hit replay and DARE i say this track was culpish hmmm... yeah jigga i watchin u
(;¬_¬)

battle B - ICEE CLIMBERZZ
another hard one, had to listen to the sample. i liked og ghouls but his almost too smooth considering the sample, maybe its my ears i dunno ¯\(°_°)/¯

battle E - MEGA MANE
fuk another close one, liked the vibe on both, i think i might have gone with KELs if it went a little bit further somehow

battle F -DONKEY KONG
not easy cuz kirby was pretty rugged, but wax got me bobbin with the reverby heavy bass beat. narrow win

this round was fun suks peeps didnt show up tho! u cant let dudes like ritchrd just slide thru eventually he going to smash one of these samples

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:15 pm 

Little Mac VS Rob

Dam why can't you both go through? :shock: This is gonna be a tough choice!

Robs beat is a crazy soundscape of harsh lofi game sounds, hits hard and has your head bobbing for months! :lol:
... but imo Mac wins this one for a solid groovin beat. The sfx are well placed and vocals are addictive 'competition payin, competition payin'.

Marth VS Ice Climbers

Marths beat give off woooozy 80s vibes :mrgreen: (reminds me of the film Drive). Incredible flip and the chords near the end top things off nicely.

Ice Climbers rocking that bass n high hat combo, nice and jazzy just how I like it. The peaking works in favour by adding extra rawness to beat. :wink:

Therefore Ice Climbers win by one point (sorry Marth)!

Kirby VS Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong beat is super chilled and swingin. :D I really like the different layers of sounds which keeps things interesting.

Kirby brings dark lofi sounds to the table; a nice surprise considering Kirbys character... then again Kirbys seen some messed up ****!!! :shock: http://youtu.be/c-UlE5J81Js?t=5m35s

Donkey Kong wins this one. Although Kirbys beat was rockin I felt it needed an extra something; sorry for being vague. :?

Samus VS Mew

Samus beat was really freaky, wonky and noisy in the good way! :P Very creative flip but as soon it got to the meat of the track it ended; :( imo I would of shortened the intro and extended the rest.

Winner is Mew as it had me head bobbing n toe tapping! \^_^\ |^_^| /^_^/ Crunchy sounds with good use of fx to stop the loop from growing stale, good job. 8)
PS: Great intro lol! :lol:

CONCLUSION

Everyone rocked it, I seriously mean it! :wink: Awesome to see everyone bringing out their best for this, really creative and inspiring bunch of sp heads. :)

Good Luck Everyone!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:01 pm 

Match A
Little MAc,yo beat's crazy.already seeing your character breaking on this one!hard as fuck
R.O.B. your spooky beat just touched me a bit more than the other.pure subjective taste,robo stylahh!!

Match B
Jigglypuff heavy beat spotted.great style man!

Match C
Sonic damn son!!didnt expect to meet something like that.amazing flip!

Match D
Marth i like the relaxing vibe! sounds like classic japanese thing.nice manipulation!can't really figure out what you did there haha

Match E
Wario amazing vibe man. real oldskool feeling! respect
Mega Man and that's a Mega beat! unique flip for sure

Match F
Kirby feeling tha darkness!!great beat man! AH YEAH
Donkey Kong love the tremolo! needed a bit higher volume on that imo.still rocking!!

Match G
Yoshi JUNGLE SPIRIT! hard flip aight!

Match H
Samus Aran fucking with bits n beats.OG yngtmgtchi style haha!
Mew well this one is fucking love!great use of the 8bit style!probably the most on-point representative in my humble opinion

thanks everyone for voting!couldn't get the best out of the sample but will try much more if i'm on the next round!!!

LESS GOOO!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:53 pm 
Awesome Member

Kei Kurono wrote:
Wish I would have gotten a little extra time.

sorry dude - why didn't you say sth? :)
right after the deadline i just wasn't sure what's fair and what's not ... i been rushing out my shit at the last day and some others did too just to make it in time...
i assume you didn't finish your beat? we still could make an extra one on one poll...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:26 pm 

wax inspektor wrote:
Kei Kurono wrote:

right after the deadline i just wasn't sure what's fair and what's not ... i been rushing out my shit at the last day and some others did too just to make it in time...
i assume you didn't finish your beat? we still could make an extra one on one poll...

SUBMIT A BEAT I REALLY DONT FEEL LIKE SLIDING THROUGH WITHOUT A BATTLE.
ANYWAYS IM GONNA GET WRECKED NEXT ROUND NO MATTER WHO WINS IN ROB VS MAC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:32 pm 

ritchrd wrote:
wax inspektor wrote:
Kei Kurono wrote:

SUBMIT A BEAT I REALLY DONT FEEL LIKE SLIDING THROUGH WITHOUT A BATTLE.
ANYWAYS IM GONNA GET WRECKED NEXT ROUND NO MATTER WHO WINS IN ROB VS MAC

Ditto!
If that is the case then would it be fair to add an extra 24 hours voting just for you guys?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:53 am 

GOT 2 MORE VOTES THAN I THOUGHT I WOULD GET. STRUGGLED BIG TIME WITH THAT SAMPLE