jbl - song title "madman"
http://www.myspace.com/dimjonill

Count Sierackula
http://www.zshare.net/audio/11481987b0fa03cd/

juxt
http://www.zshare.net/audio/114829033bbf4f76/

Phemox (late entry)
http://www.zshare.net/audio/11534486760358fc/

Druphit song title "I'll son you" (late entry)
http://www.myspace.com/druphit

Doctakay (late entry)
http://www.zshare.net/audio/1154252774c91574/

I set the poll for 4 days

http://www.myspace.com/juxtkid

Last edited by balazs on Thu May 08, 2008 10:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:02 pm 
Awesome Member

For me it was a decision between iiiii and count sierackula.
iiiii created a nice atmosphere with all those layers and delays. work on vocals was sick, man.
sierackula did a great job on creating own samples; really impressive!That's SP-style! Drumtrack was amazing! Wonder how you get that snare roll AND HOW MADE YOU THIS BLINGBLINGBLING lofi-bell / Are these the short nnotes off the guitar solo? Need to know that!? Everything in your beat fits perfectly together. You hit my taste most this time, so my point goes to you! (which sp do you use? the 404 or 555?)

... carry on peace...
(at least until battle 19)

(404 and Drew are really missing in this #18 mix)

Last edited by wax inspektor on Mon May 05, 2008 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:03 pm 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

I voted for IIIII. There were some really sick beats in this one.

http://www.myspace.com/juxtkid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:34 am 

Count killed it for me.
From the jump his shit was NOICE!!!

That doesnt mean to say he was the only one, though.
I felt Wax and Juxt were kinda even (in my mind) for second because Wax had an amazing change around halfway through and from then on I got into it much more; Juxt was nice, too, but because when the drums get a lil harder and funker it just grabs my heads attn and makes it nod.

I felt Antee was a great track but I was left wanting a lil more from the vocals(Just creative crit;dont take it personal, Im sure I'll have my shit disected and ripped apart when I FINALLY get my shit straight and post a track).
IIII was kinda equal (again, in my mind) with Antees track; I wanted more from the vocal but the drums were rad.
JBL sounded like he was just having fun, experimenting, and while there are a few chunky parts it was a cohesive track and sounded pretty decent.

Phemox, I would liked to have heard where you were going.
You and J seemed to be going in the most interesting direction in terms of style. Very differant.

You guys are all warriors :wink: (for real) for putting your self out there and allowing us to critique you. Not everyone can do that and thats how u get better. I cant wait till I figure out how to get involved.

sorry for so much :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:19 am 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

Quote:
Im sure I'll have my shit disected and ripped apart when I FINALLY get my shit straight and post a track

Nah man, only constructive critique on this forum, no ripping apart going on, hahaha.

It's one of the reasons why I even dare to post my experiments (as in what's the point in posting a beat you know is mediocre or worse and only will get ripped apart, right? ).

I'm fully aware that I'm still learning my gear and that most that comes out isn't nearly as good as the other people here.

Lots of fire in the beats again, great!

Thanks for the comment by the way, I appreciate it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:18 am 

Wax Inspektor with the mad notes! I smoked 2 or 5 blunts to it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:04 am 
Awesome Member

:shock: What a suprise...
Those late entrys are fire !!!!
I love Druphits beat most by now, but my vote is already gone and I still stand for it!!! But I've to say that Doctakay's joint was pretty close(!!!).
(EDIT: After hearing both of yours over and over again I really couldn't decide which one of yours is hotter... damn. )
(Thanx for the vote @ doc k / glad you get that higher illusion... I often don't remember how many sticks I smoked, too... was it 2 or 5 :D )

Cool to see new people steppin' in with that much quality. I think with this battle we reached a higher level... Hard sample but beats like :shock:
I learned a lot from ALL you guys at this !!! Thanx for sharing your talent with us !!! I guess until next time I've to make a step like-----------> this far to compete against you guys. :twisted:
I feel like it's not the critique getting you better, it's the competition!

!!!SP battle till the end!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:23 pm 
Awesome Member

count gets my vote based on cohesive flow of da beat. iiiiii killed it wit da hype intro feel, i had to listen to both about 10 times to decide. everyone else as always did they thing. shout out to da late entrys ya'll killed it too 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:52 pm 

so i've listened to all of them now-theres some really dope shit,its interesting to see what people have done with a sample most of us would never had chosen if we stumbled across our uncles stash of Kansas records. (but im telling you-Kansas actually has some ILL more psychadelic sounding shit..)

i have to go with doctakay-chops were really dope,and i liked what you did with the pitch shifting,mad nice

a close second would be wax inspector-you flipped it really nice man,makes me wanna actually start trying to utilize the time stretch function,it really doesnt sound as terrible as people make it out to..i mean not terrible at all,it sounds pretty fresh actually.if you feel like sharing,how did you get your snares to sound "wet" like that?

and of course im looking at this from the perspective of what would be the best to spit too...

i just got to another computer and saw that my beat has actually been up for awhile,which is mad confusing-my laptop seems to be somehow stuck on my page from a few days ago,even when i refresh it.i dont get it.
anyway,i'm really looking forward to being in these battles..stay up-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:47 pm 
Awesome Member

Druphit wrote:
if you feel like sharing,how did you get your snares to sound "wet" like that?

sure, the main snare is from the kansas track. I did a bit EQ, reverb and vinylsim-comp to it and I layered it in the sequencer with the open hihat from the drumtrack. I did Stretch,LoFi,Reverb to the hat. The main mix is compressed by vinyl sim, too.
I figured out that there is a difference between resampling the open hat and the snare as one sample instead the sequencer. . . I guess its because of the compressor. Hope this was comprehensible .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:08 pm 

Yeah, you two got the DRUM moves RIGHT. I couldn't mess with such a nice loop, but I was reading about that "swing"... and want to try it out soon.

Wax buildin' straight gritty hip hop Pink Floyd tracks... it would be sweet if "I'll son you@!" was over that guitar solo that gets looped towards the end!

[Sierackula, do pass me some of that cough syrup!]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:51 am 

there's some fierce competition here guys, it's a shame i had to sit this one out

been playing these all morning, i'm very impressed by the range of sounds and styles that are being rocked. good to see some new battlers too, you guys definitely represented. i'm gonna put these tracks in a folder and make a mini-album to listen to!

my vote goes to Count Sierackula - DOPE shit man

no sign of sp-404beatz?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:14 am 

Mad thanks for the positive feedback and the votes… much appreciated!

Wax Inspektor wrote:
Wonder how you get that snare roll AND HOW MADE YOU THIS BLINGBLINGBLING lofi-bell / Are these the short nnotes off the guitar solo? Need to know that!? ... (which sp do you use? the 404 or 555?)

I’m in it with a 555. Got my roll on for the drums on this one. It's a nice function... you can set it to any increment that you can quantize to. And the bling-bling-bell came from an ascending piano line. The bit crash effect is to thanks for the bell sound that they come out as.

Sick beats by everyone, without a doubt! Picking juse one is crazy hard cause they are all hittin on different levels. For me, the vote came down to Wax and Druphit...

Wax – mind-blowing effects and a sick-ass song composition. Another sonic journey for sure… dig the guitar change-up a lot, but also really feeling the change-up at 2:00 where that little voice sample comes in.

Dru –if I had to pick one track to stand above all it would be this one. Hype as hell… I can hear an MC just killin this. Nice use of the “go” vocal to set it off… not sure if that’s what it’s saying, but it sounds nice.

Additional shout-outs…

Doc – diggin the laid back feel, clean chops and use of that piano sample. Also like the classic hip hop song composition.

Juxt – sick chops. Really feeling that drum track… at :33 it comes in like kung fu fighting and shit. Nice.

IIIII – really feeling the drama and grand scale of this track. And the work on those drums… the delay effects you throw on sound sick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:51 am 

wax--i didnt even think to see if there was an empty snare or two on the sample,nice..but basically after you had the drums how you wanted,you just used some reverb,right?for some reason i dont really like the reverb for drums on the 404,it seems to suck some life out of em when i try it,i've ben sticking to the "tail" that compression puts on snares..i'm just probably being my normal over self critical self though.count-good looking man,for real..your beat was really sick as well.the "go" is actually just the end part of a sample that ends with "oh.."it does sound like go though,its always dope how things can work out accidentally sometimes.
i'm already itching to hear the next sample...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:13 am 

my vote goes to Dru Phit, sick shit, i love your chops and the drums.