boogie   5%  5%  [ 1 ]
kel  32%  32%  [ 7 ]
rim$  5%  5%  [ 1 ]
runrun_raw  32%  32%  [ 7 ]
iiiii  5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject: Re: Battle 125 Poll
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:38 am 

Gis: Whoah, damn you made that quick! You gott show off your workflow sometime. I dig the weird textures & crazy ambience, it was like some kind of interlude in an old Orb tune. As Asha C said, the speaking got a bit much but hey it was memorable & you got a reaction. That's waaay more important than a 'meh'.
Eisen: Not bad, very basic feeling tune. Decent isolation making the bass. A bit short, ever thought of switching up the rhythm up?
Asha C: Brutal vibe, sounds like sirens before the apocalypse strikes us all down. Doooooom! Very appropriate voice grabs.
Manifest: Ah... The first oldschool 'Ninja Tune' sounding track. Couldn't help thinking 'what ever happened to The Herbaliser' when you dropped the voice grab. Nice turnaround & the hihat roll is pure head-nod territory. Could've used a switch-up or two for variety though.
Chopperman: Man, what's going in this one? Needed to listen to it a few times to comprehend it. Your pseudonym doubles as your approach to making beats, right? So many little bits thrown about here! Nice ring-mod/pitch-shift-tweak-to-alien-freakout-ending (WTF). I wanted more of that with pounding drums.
Ellaguru: THIS. Oh shit. This one. You really went to town on the sample. Thanks for never letting the track settle down, so far this has been the most fun to listen to. The beat really matched the toasting, it sounds like they were meant for something this mental. Loved the bit where the dude was like "WHAT WAS THAT?" at 1:36 after a glitchy drum roll & fill. Classic. This is all 606, right? What's the a capella from? I've heard that dropped in a few DJ mixes over the years. I was also considering going the reggae tip on the sample too (there were a few bass lines that were ready for a dub flip), but didn't have the guts to do it. Respect! PS- yeah my beat's name is a Ramones reference, the day I made my track I was over people who wear Ramones shirts & not know who they are...
Rosedower: The old reverse-everything-for-a-psychedelic-vibe trick! Some nice rhythms too. Would've been rad if you settled into a killer rhythm at one point, but it sounds like you had fun making the beat. And that's what matters.
Runme_Raw: Not bad, see where you're going with the chops & head nod vibe but I'm not quite getting it at this stage. Maybe I'm not ready for this one. There's all these great little ideas in your beat that never quite came together.
Boogie: That was the bass line I wanted to use in a reggae style. Good to hear someone else grab that bit. Pity the SPs don't have good timestretch. Good filtering, good horns. This is one really understated tune compared to the rest. One of my favourites so far.
Kel: Its gonna be hard for anyone else to top this. This shit is pro-level flawless. Simple as that!
Rim$: Finally! Some LOUD & kicking drums. Are these all legit from the original sample? I don't recall hearing all the shakers, rimshots & long open hihats in the original sample (or that guitar stab). The drums got a bit robotic, even though the rhythm was reasonably nimble.
Runrun_Raw: Dope idea, using that dude speaking about the 404. You should send this to Roland! Nice chops & drops. This one felt 'complete'.
IIIII: Damn, what a way to get the last word in! Serious trippy vibe. This one is kinda like the sibling of Asha C's track. Awesome looping on the organ to get it droning. Its surprising that the rest of us missed it, the way you grabbed it & made it up-front was on the money. But it would've been nice if the rhythm was more than a one bar loop.

On hindsight I should've worked harder on the mix for my beat & figured out more parts to add after the rhythm switched. The sample had enough in it for us to make some prog-beats...

Oh yeah, voted for Boogie. Gotta back the underdog when the competition's tight! $5 bet that Kel wins with that killer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:31 pm 

Unfolding Machines wrote:
Ellaguru: THIS. Oh shit. This one. You really went to town on the sample. Thanks for never letting the track settle down, so far this has been the most fun to listen to. The beat really matched the toasting, it sounds like they were meant for something this mental. Loved the bit where the dude was like "WHAT WAS THAT?" at 1:36 after a glitchy drum roll & fill. Classic. This is all 606, right? What's the a capella from? I've heard that dropped in a few DJ mixes over the years. I was also considering going the reggae tip on the sample too (there were a few bass lines that were ready for a dub flip), but didn't have the guts to do it. Respect! PS- yeah my beat's name is a Ramones reference, the day I made my track I was over people who wear Ramones shirts & not know who they are...

thanx Unfo!!
the "what was that?!" sentence is by myself: there were a non wanted noise on that point so i added that vocal ahaha. everything is from a 606. the vocal cuts are coming from "Dancehall Accapellas Vol 7" : tracks by sizzla, richie spice and some other i forget (sorry).
respect to your mystericl track too!
GABBA GABBA HEY!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:39 pm 

Oh boy, lots of dope flips but those that stood out the most to me were:

Kel - MAD dangerous! I don't have anything to add. When I first heard it before the poll I thought we already had a winner.

Runrun Raw - Awesome chops, all those effects on the the vocal skit(?) really gave a nice vibe and the switched up part was great. I felt enlightened and sort of educated lol.

Therefore, my vote went to Runrun Raw. Sorry for making it a tie (so far) guys.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:55 pm 

KELLA PRIEST!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:24 pm 

Was a toss up between Runrun Raw and Kel but went with Run, that track was just too dope, props man. Everyone came up with interesting flips though, keep it up dudes!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:36 pm 
Awesome Member

kelashnikov

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:41 pm 

Great battle, I enjoyed and was impressed by all the beats. I'm voting for Ellaguru. 2nd and 3rd choices were Boogie and Runrun Raw.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:46 am 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

Very nice entries by all, I especially thought Unfolding Machines and IIIII had some interesting production techniques, you guys both and Runrun_raw's beat is the SP-anthem! Great idea to play snippets from the promo video while tweaking the effects while they're being talked about, and the last part was awesome. Dibiase had an anthology style beat that kept my attention consistently (his name's not on the poll?), Ella's was trippy, bouncing all over the place, and the vocals were cool. What made you choose the 606? Chopperman had a very unique groove, Rowsdower's beat had the reverse that complimented the melody nicely and the FX stabs were tight and well-timed. Thanks everybody for sayin nice shizz about my entry, I had tons of fun this battle. RunRaw for me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:36 am 

kel wrote:
Dibiase had an anthology style beat that kept my attention consistently (his name's not on the poll?)
Shit, you're right! Looks like he forgot to post the link into the original thread... Damn, only hearing it now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:47 am 

Chopperman wrote:
Great battle, I enjoyed and was impressed by all the beats. I'm voting for Ellaguru. 2nd and 3rd choices were Boogie and Runrun Raw.

Thanks i appreciate very much!

kel wrote:
Ella's was trippy, bouncing all over the place, and the vocals were cool. What made you choose the 606?

The cheap occasion price :) plus the 2fx simultaneous/the soundcard/the usb...but it's not upgraded to win7 damn roland...
Ps
Unfolding track deserved more!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:34 pm 

kel wrote:
Dibiase had an anthology style beat that kept my attention consistently (his name's not on the poll?)
Shit, you're right! Looks like he forgot to post the link into the original thread... Damn, only hearing it now.

:shock: Link?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:03 am 

Right here Eisen:
http://soundcloud.com/mr-dibiase/its-my-world-battle-125-82
OK, turns out he made it with a 303 & a 404. To be a dirty pedantic douchebag (again) the SP battle rules state one SP only per beat. Which could be why he didn't link it. But still, it's an honorable mention of a track & worth hearing!

@Ella, nah I don't need any votes (despite the Soundcloud tag). Gonna rack this battle up as a lesson that my drums can be a bit too loud & to put a bit more 'flash' into my beats to grab more ears.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:11 am 

thanks d.!!
the blades has 2 be sharp indeed! :p
yess we are real brothers.. my english isnt verry good, what do u ment with a whatever beat ?

2 asha
thanks man..! i sampled from youtube some random sp 404 demonstration dont have the link anymore.. only the sample

2 riPaddo thanks..! yess as you can read above :p glad u liked it so much!!

at kel..!! thanks man u totaly got my idea!!

verry nice battle peeps!!!
thanks for the votes and the comments..!!

http://soundcloud.com/run_run_raw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:18 pm 

Thanks, man

RunRun_Raw wrote:
verry nice battle peeps!!!

definitely

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:06 pm 

Gis - crazy textures style, nice stereo spread
eisendraht - nice off kilter feel, sweet stab and use of bass
Asha C - Man that snare is hot haha. Good slow flow, sub bass
Unfolding Machines - Instant head nod when drums dropped. Like the mix and elements alot.
Manifest 1 - Nice hi hats, tight chops.
Chopperman - Thinking man's beat, different
Ellaguru - Powerful mix, nice vocal cuts, snare
Rowsedower - good use of reverse, gluey but almost falling apart style.
Runme Raw - lots going on, nice shakers and beat
Boogie - Nice jammy, almost R&B feel, laid back
Kel - Dark beat, great bass, wow. Killing it!
rim$ - Hard hitting drums, nice use of fx
Runrun raw - Another very nice one, great lofi feel damn
IIIII - Epic build up start then that bass, nice

Hard choice, going with Kel this time.....great entries guys

EDIT: Well shit this poll ended already hahah