asha c  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
RunRun_Raw  3%  3%  [ 1 ]
blavatsky  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Chickadee  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 32
 Post subject: Re: Battle 123 Poll
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:03 pm 

- Chickadee
I didn't find that in/out effect particularly interesting or musical: this sounds more like a burst of rage than a piece of music.
It also feels too long, and that truncated ending is horrible.

- dollarllama d
I admire you: more than 23000 soundcloud followers is an impressive achievement.
But as much as I wanted to love this song, I couldn't help but feel disappointed: there's a sloppy, repetitive, unfocused, self-indulgent feel that I cannot stand.
And, dare I say, it all felt way too long.
Many thanks for explaining your workflow, though: it's been highly instructive.

- Runme_raw
Has a glitchy feel, and features an obstinate lead note that feels gutsy, but not for everyone: the result is monolithic, something I'm sure you were aiming for.
The second part feels more meditated, with a nice mechanical beat.

- Gis_sweden
Strong, defined beat overlapping the original one, and those ethereous/echoing horns sound good.
The stuttery feel contributes to the overall feeling of watching a picture while squinting eyes.

- teewok
Strong, direct start, with a very good beat over the original material.
At 0:45 the beat disappears, and the music gains a little of breathing room, then it's back again to the overimposed framing beat of the beginning: sounds like an essay about rhythm and confinement, interesting indeed.

- marjan83
'Short Beat' ? At 3:12 I wouldn't call this short... speaking of length, I'd have cut a good minute here and there.
Even if the overall sound is prominently lo-fi, the editing work has been gentle, and the result is good: the phrases have a very musical call/response feel to them, and the beat is appropriate.

- LAZERBEAR
Very strong, definite beat that hits you harder than hard.
The song has a couple of really good phrases, but feels somehow underdeveloped.

- unsignd
A display of many interesting performance techniques: the horns loop is very good, and the beat fits very well with the music.

- Manifest1
Impressive starting loop, the beat is perfect and the use of the both the electric piano and the sax is highly musical.
Unfortunately, the song seems to run out of gas after the first minute.

Rowsedower
Very good taste with the choice of the various parts of the song, but the overall result feels a little disjointed, like it could have been smoother.

IIIII
A nice drum/bass combo is joined by some sparse and evoking instrumental stabs, later replaced by mysterious pads: as far as setting a mood, this is second to none.
The beat is also very good, but the song somehow felt a little too long.

RunRun_Raw
Nice choice with the electric piano riff, the beat is very nice even without much snare, and has a nice dark and warm feeling.
The horns riff at 1:17 is absolutely, gorgeously musical.
Hard as hell to qualify: I'd say this is jazz.

chopperman
You didn't have time to come up with a title, but sure as hell you did find the time to come up with something new once again.
The beginning feels experimental, and has a somehow cruel charm: it feels like you are letting the rhythm roll and then, all of a sudden, overturn it on its back to watch it stutter like a harmless little creature.
I also liked how the 'elastic' rhythm seemed more implied than explicitly marked.
Those liquid sounds in the middle part suggest an underwater sequence, and at 1:12 we emerge, to hear yet another crazy half industrial/half alien riff of yours.

dp
Sounds experimental but structured, the lyrical sax is interlived by a bouncy beat, and the result is highly musical, with a somewhat cat/mouse feel to it.

asha c
Rolling drum beat, nice work with the rimshot, it all feels perfect.
Those lo-fi sounds fit very well with the delicate textures.
The contrast with the enormous rumble that starts at 0:53 is stunning, as if a giant creature was passing by.
Pictorial.

blavatsky
A lot of ideas: you really strived to create something new.
The song has a floating feel, and if features a very nice section at 0:43-0:57, followed by the amazing one at 1:26: sperimental and progressive, displays an outstanding use of the space inside the beat.

EndorShores
The beat sounds like a fantastic train, travelling across a musical landscape, very evocative.
The part from 0:45 to 0:53 sounds like we were in a tunnel, and the ensuing crazy wah/sax dialogue accompanies us while we cross a colorful and lively land.
The part at 1:40 sounds like a nice spot for our train to stop, but it keeps traveling for another minute instead, and unfortunately not much happens then...
Well... you can't have a perfect journey, can you ?

preqwal (gets my vote)
Evolving and bouncing drums, with an ever-shifting use of the space inside the beat.
Notable, wise use of the crash, to underline tension and resolution.
A handful of well chosen melodic fragments, employed frugally yet effectively.
Impressive, masterful use of the effects.
Everything in its right place.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:24 pm 

Thanks TFA for the always eloquent feedback! I may not get any votes this round but I just realized that I did claim the 10,000th post in the arena. WOOOOOOO!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:43 am 

T f a you absolutely get the Legendary Battle 123 Feedback Award. :)

Attachments:
File comment: Old Swedish Medal For Bravery
MedalForBravery.jpg
MedalForBravery.jpg [ 23.46 KiB | Viewed 4903 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:26 pm 

t f a wrote:
- Chickadee

- dollarllama d
I admire you: more than 23000 soundcloud followers is an impressive achievement.
But as much as I wanted to love this song, I couldn't help but feel disappointed: there's a sloppy, repetitive, unfocused, self-indulgent feel that I cannot stand.

I think your over analyzing don't expect everyone to understand the dirt. My style is dysfunctional ,and always has been I don't stick to the average formulas. as mentioned this beat is actually for an emcee to rhyme on explaining length of beat. I normally don't like to over do rap beats wasn't tryin take minds into warp zones on this one. Self indulgent lol i considered this simple far from overdone and excessive. no need to be disappointed nobody else is .You should write for pitchfork :wink:

https://m.soundcloud.com/mr-dibiase

https://mrdibiase.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:12 pm 

I've been having a really hard time deciding this one There were so many great beats, I listened to each one over a pretty sparsed out period of time but will try to remember a few that stood out.

Blavatsky - I like the drums and sound effects in this a lot. Whenever that little looped note comes in, that sounds really cool.

RunRun Raw - I love the swing in that loop, and the lo fi is obviously dope, really well done.

Dp - I love the intro, the beat comes out of nowhere, the end is cool too

Preqwal - I think everything is mixed perfectly

Dibiase -the beat and the sound of the sample is great

Teewok - as soon as I heard this I thought I would be voting for you, the chops are great

I think RunRun Raw came in a close second for me. But again, this was a hard choice. I'm not very good at making decisions with so many good entries lol. Oh yeah, Chopperman, that's crazy we both live in Lawrence. It's a very small world.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:32 pm 

gis_sweden wrote:
T f a you absolutely get the Legendary Battle 123 Feedback Award. :)

100% quote
Tfa i would like to read more of your critics: if you have a blog, a journal or something like that hit me up!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:47 pm 

This was close to call. All had unique style.
All around Unsignd had the best sound. I like the muddiness and how he chopped it up.
Teewok was a close runner-up.
Prequal had the best use of effects.
IIIII had a good drum loop and sounded like a dope breakbeat.
RunRun Raw had the best drums hands down.
Chickadee's started off sick, but then got chaotic and had too much going on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:36 pm 

Hello Everybody :D

Nice Battle man!!!, alot of good beats, hard choose!
had a busy week , had my birthday etc.
you can hear it on the beat...hard choise cutting a sample part..
but....
I rolled a phat blue berry kush and listened to all of them.

this is what i found ...1 unsigned 2 DP 3 Teewok 4 LazerBear 5 Gis_Sweden

voted for unsigned.

Quote:
Dibiase wrote.. Runme_raw - This beat was insane I was buggin out how u did the pitch

i put CTRL 1 on the half and CTRL 2 on 0 , CTRL 3 on full right.

Peace to all you SP-Sifu's and Sensei's.....

waiting for the next sample...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:37 pm 

d ran that sample raw. everyone else killed it too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:36 pm 

Let's break this tie and move onto the next battle! :)

Great work everybody, I'm glad to see/hear so many entries: impressive stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:10 pm 

This was a tuff one. Coulda picked so many of these. I listened to them all a few days ago and went with the one that stuck in my head. Preqwal was a close second that was really nice sounded like Paul's Boutique 2012. Manifest1 got my vote that shit was just to smooth I was sucked right in.

@tfa thanks for the brutal honesty. That helped alot, I knew I let it ride to long but after reading what you had to say and listening again I agree that would have been a perfect place to stop. Look forward to more of your feedback. Much respect.

Enjoy the weekend everyone, peace.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:34 pm 

dollarllama d wrote:
t f a wrote:
- Chickadee

- dollarllama d

I think your over analyzing don't expect everyone to understand the dirt. My style is dysfunctional ,and always has been I don't stick to the average formulas. as mentioned this beat is actually for an emcee to rhyme on explaining length of beat. I normally don't like to over do rap beats wasn't tryin take minds into warp zones on this one. Self indulgent lol i considered this simple far from overdone and excessive. no need to be disappointed nobody else is .You should write for pitchfork :wink:
. Agree with dibiase on this one. Whats up with tfa always dealing out super harsh criticism and never submitting any beats of his own. If you dont have anything nice to say keep it to yourself. Everyone makes their beats how they want and you just shit all over them. If you arent gonna submit a beat then dont be so quick to judge everybody else. You just sound like a pretentious condescending jerk and thats not cool. Take your negative reviews elsewhere, people work hard on their beats and put their style out there, dont be mean about it

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:57 pm 

LAZERBEAR wrote:
Whats up with tfa always dealing out super harsh criticism and never submitting any beats of his own. If you dont have anything nice to say keep it to yourself. Everyone makes their beats how they want and you just shit all over them. If you arent gonna submit a beat then dont be so quick to judge everybody else.

i think i don't understand this point of view: if you don't have a track to submit then you cannot write a critic? why?
also, i don't found tfa wrote "harsh criticism" or that he "shit(s) all over them" (beats)...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:07 pm 

ellaguru wrote:
LAZERBEAR wrote:
Whats up with tfa always dealing out super harsh criticism and never submitting any beats of his own. If you dont have anything nice to say keep it to yourself. Everyone makes their beats how they want and you just shit all over them. If you arent gonna submit a beat then dont be so quick to judge everybody else.

i think i don't understand this point of view: if you don't have a track to submit then you cannot write a critic? why?
also, i don't found tfa wrote "harsh criticism" or that he "shit(s) all over them" (beats)...

+1

let´s just calm down and start the next battle please :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:31 pm 

Not saying you have to make a beat to criticize, i guess my point is i would like to hear what tfa's beats sound like since apparently nobody else can make a good beat. Its all just a matter of opinion whether or not a beat is good and everyone is entitled to like what they like. But tfa is just condescending as hell and thats not cool. I would prefer if he kept his jeers to himself. Not tryin to start a riot, just sayin how i feel.