It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:35 am

who was the most furious?
Poll ended at Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:21 am
deejayUPSERD http://www.box.net/shared/a9d6kve5k1rkdj0onvxj  50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Squa http://soundcloud.com/fuckinsquamuzik/f ... -battle-96  50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: Battle #96 Flash Back
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:21 am 

in one corner we have squa, and in the other we have deejay upserd! who will win this extraordinary, yet under publicized fight? it's up to you fans.

Post subject: Re: Battle #96 Flash Back
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:45 am 

I went with sQua. Nice beat tho upserd you were a close second, welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 pm 

I'm voting sQuA also, I liked what you did with your beat. Thank you endor I look forward to many more battles.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:46 am 

my vote goes to upserd, his beat was funky and rockin. i dug both flips though. rock on :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:45 am 

I voted upserd two or three days ago, very nice beat... I think that a tie is the right thing for a battle with only two beats :( , however there is already another open battle, the winner of this one should not create a new one, right?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:56 am 

Thanks sQuA, and yeah I agree a tie seems very fair to me. I was also wondering how choosing the next battle should go down, maybe wait til the next battle to decide, I don't know I'm new what do you guys normally do in a tie scenario?
Thunderdome?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:31 pm 

i guess it's up to you guys if you want to start the next battle or not. i understand though since there's already another battle going on. people might not be able to do two at the same time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:54 pm 

I didn't vote. Neither beat was good and the source sample was a bad choice. Sampling & flipping a track from a widely known hip hop album is weak. Especially when the track sounds fully formed & complete already. There was no room to move with it.

So it was no surprise that both beats were amateur attempts & sounded half formed. Neither did anything creative or interesting. The usual level of songs submitted here is better than this. Most folks here are capable of more than this level of timewasting.

@Upserd
One crap drum loop & pitching the guitar sound down. Then play the original guitar & the pitched down guitar sounds one after the other for two minutes? No thanks. That's just boring.

@Squa
Looping that guitar with timestrech + reverse sounds bad. Adding unquantized drums without rhythm sucks. Randomly dropping in a couple of extra sounds makes it almost unlistenable. Have you tried using your sequencer? Stop being lazy.

I've lurked here for ages & heard what most of you can do (that's not just aimed at the contributors to this battle, but everyone who posts on these forums). I've noticed the quality of the battles has been pretty bad of late. I need to let you all know this.

Is it brave or foolish to attempt a flip of Grandmaster Flash? Even when its a bad Grandmaster Flash song? At least Squa seems to recognise that his song and the source song are no good (going by his song's name).

Good thing is that this round should sink without a trace because multiple comps are running. Hopefully the sample choice & contributions will be better next time. Fingers crossed battle 100 will be worthwhile.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:47 pm 

disappointed dad wrote:
I didn't vote. Neither beat was good and the source sample was a bad choice. Sampling & flipping a track from a widely known hip hop album is weak. Especially when the track sounds fully formed & complete already. There was no room to move with it.

So it was no surprise that both beats were amateur attempts & sounded half formed. Neither did anything creative or interesting. The usual level of songs submitted here is better than this. Most folks here are capable of more than this level of timewasting.

@Upserd
One crap drum loop & pitching the guitar sound down. Then play the original guitar & the pitched down guitar sounds one after the other for two minutes? No thanks. That's just boring.

@Squa
Looping that guitar with timestrech + reverse sounds bad. Adding unquantized drums without rhythm sucks. Randomly dropping in a couple of extra sounds makes it almost unlistenable. Have you tried using your sequencer? Stop being lazy.

I've lurked here for ages & heard what most of you can do (that's not just aimed at the contributors to this battle, but everyone who posts on these forums). I've noticed the quality of the battles has been pretty bad of late. I need to let you all know this.

Is it brave or foolish to attempt a flip of Grandmaster Flash? Even when its a bad Grandmaster Flash song? At least Squa seems to recognise that his song and the source song are no good (going by his song's name).

Good thing is that this round should sink without a trace because multiple comps are running. Hopefully the sample choice & contributions will be better next time. Fingers crossed battle 100 will be worthwhile.

:lol: I admit my "flash trash" sucks but thank you dad, your teachings are very precious for me.
However you could use your real nick to tell me this, I joined this forum also for receive criticism like yours, the purpose of a forum is just that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:51 pm 

right, so disappointed dad has been lurking the forums, yet just joined today! only to communicate nothing but negative criticisisms, and diss a cool song by grandmaster flash, let's all hear your flip of the song disappointed dad!

CREATE! NOT HATE!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:16 am 

Hey disappointed dad, im gonna keep this real simple. You are either a admitted troll or a punk bitch who has to take the time to make up a new identity to say what you really wanna say to save face (a.k.a. your ego) for the sake of your name on this message board. Either way eat a dick, go fuck off and do something productive with your time. Not build your ego by trashing other people for doing something, you punk bitch. Have a great day. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:45 am 

Obviously, DD's tone is NOT welcome. But, I gotta say, it's kinda refreshing to have someone be "real". Even though I disagree with him.

Criticism should always be welcome (as long as its not mean-spirited). If we're always just praising each other, and nobody says what they REALLY feel, then that doesn't help anyone's Craft (which should be priority #1 in the arena).

Personally, if cats gave me thoughtful, detailed critiques of my stuff, that would be...well shit, that'd be amazingly helpful, actually. Like, "The drums in the second section don't swing enough," or, "you should ISO the fuck outta that bass, it sounds lame the way it is." Or you know, whatever. Stuff like that I, personally, would seriously appreciate.

The reason my "Let Em In" submission was so short, is that it was supposed to be 2 parts (the part I submitted was meant to be the "intro"), but I couldn't STAND BEHIND the second part. Even after working on it for 5+ hours, I wasn't proud of it and didn't have time to make it better. And though the intro isn't much, I did put alot of time and effort into it and I'm proud of what's there.

My Point is, we ALL should be makin' joints we're proud of. Beats we can be BRAG about. We all should be pushing our own envelopes, as well as the collective one.

Digs From the Yesterday Window EP
out now:
http://gematrium.bandcamp.com/
NOW FREE!
(though donations are very much encouraged and appreciated)

“Art is never finished, only abandoned.” -Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:01 pm 

disappointed dad wrote:

@Upserd

@Squa

I can't hate for what you have to say... there has been a lot of sugar-coating in here, and the same small group of people continually patting each other on the back, which doesn't help elevate anyone's game.

It would've been better if you had the balls to post this shit under your real user name...

In all actuality, it was a poor sample choice... which is what happens when inexperienced cats win battles from having their friends vote for them (sorry mellow, not your fault... but it is what it is). The fact that anyone took the time to f*ck with it is a ray of hope in a dark room. Somebody's gotta carry the torch. I still have high hopes for battle 100. Hopefully some of the more experienced heads will come out for it... including "disappointed dad". I see you playa.

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:38 am 

ouch count, i have no personal friends on this forum so whomever votes votes on their own volition. sorry my skills aren't on par with many of the cats on here, but the battles are a great way to learn and progress. and i realize the song choice may not have been in keeping with a certain traditional style in these battles, but it's music nonetheless and i'm surprised at the negative comments on that song. but like modest mouse says "we all float on".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:32 am 

What up! had a hectic week but i'm back now. So disapointed dad you've been "lurking" huh? isnt that the reason why youre not allowed within 500 feet of elementary schools and playgrounds, oh no wait my bad that was because of your "drug" case, yeah guys he drug a young boy behind some bushes and did some very naughty things to him, you pervert. But seriously, yeah you were right to say my beat was amature thats because i've only had my 404sx a short while and when i found this web site i was hoping to get some advice and tips and yes even harsh criticism dont worry i have a good sense of humor and can take quite a bit of jeering and even name calling so it will take more to get rid of me sucks i missed out on the other battles and no i didnt go off and cry or just throw in the towel i do plan on entering more battles and hey maybe my beat will be more like yours was.....oh wait