It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:50 pm

Post subject: I got an idea.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:52 am 

Why do we always have the 'flip a sample' battle? All the fun diggin' and shit is lost in that activity.

Here is my idea:

THE THEME BATTLE!

Use everything you want, but it has to fit a certain theme.

For example, the first theme could be 'KUNG FU, SLAVE THE WEAK!'
And all you folks could get their Katana snair sounds and all the fun stuff.

Ya'mean?

I would really enjoy theme battles because of the freedom to dig and use whatever you can find, the new creativity!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:30 pm 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

not a bad idea but the main point of the battles is to limit your sounds to one sample. everything like isolating drums and forcing you to chop different( since everyone will know if you looped it)- shit liike that is the challenge.
Also I dont know how many diggers there are on this site and what cats dig for. using myself as an example- i dig but I dont have any 'KUNG FU, SLAVE THE WEAK!' samples, so i couldnt participate. but if you can organize this and get heads to join then go ahead. I would be down- if I have the samples for the theme.

http://www.myspace.com/juxtkid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:34 pm 

juxt wrote:
not a bad idea but the main point of the battles is to limit your sounds to one sample. everything like isolating drums and forcing you to chop different( since everyone will know if you looped it)- shit liike that is the challenge.
Also I dont know how many diggers there are on this site and what cats dig for. using myself as an example- i dig but I dont have any 'KUNG FU, SLAVE THE WEAK!' samples, so i couldnt participate. but if you can organize this and get heads to join then go ahead. I would be down- if I have the samples for the theme.

what about yourtube? Search gor 'old kung fu flicks trainlers' and you have more then enough samples.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:16 pm 

ok, give it some time and see who else is down

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:14 am 
303 Award Winner '09

I'm down, I would like the option to use drums sounds and breaks from our own libraries and the person who starts the theme battle is obligated to post some drum sounds or a breakbeat in case people who would like to participate don't have a large amount of sound/sample files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:29 am 

just keep the first going well enough that we need two 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:04 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

I like the idea. Giving only the theme as limitation would be nice when it comes to creativity. But... it should still be SP made right?

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:31 pm 

PHeMoX wrote:
I like the idea. Giving only the theme as limitation would be nice when it comes to creativity. But... it should still be SP made right?

Why? If somebody got great asian strings on his motif he could use those too.
I would like this kind' of battle because it gives you a lot of freedom.
The other one is no fun for me because there is somemusic I hate and I wouldn't even want to work with that...

Just a theme and the best sounding track wins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:03 pm 

Id definitly participate. I havent gotten my 303 yet so that way i could use FL. I really like this idea.

"if hip hop is soooo soooo soooo diverse now why the fuck cant i find it?" - Niq Names

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:25 pm 

mostblunted wrote:
PHeMoX wrote:

Why? If somebody got great asian strings on his motif he could use those too.
I would like this kind' of battle because it gives you a lot of freedom.
The other one is no fun for me because there is somemusic I hate and I wouldn't even want to work with that...

Just a theme and the best sounding track wins.

You are right, why not. :) Lets do this? It'd be fun to see a 'free for all' kind of thing... even if it's just experimental and done only this one time.

Who's providing the breakbeat? Oww and perhaps we need a tad more time than just one week? A week and a half or two weeks perhaps?

www.myspace.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:10 am 

can i maybe offer some input on this.

juxt was saying that it could be hard for some people to participate because they may not have the necessary samples.

how about we organize a battle and before hand everybody who wants to participate has to upload a sample pack made of of maybe 4 or 5 samples. like you could upload your own samples like lets say a 5 sec drum break, i bass noise, some strings, a vocal sample, etc, whatever you wanted.

then when everybody who was down for the battle had submitted their samples we could zip up all the sounds and have the file as a battle pack sample download.

then let's say if the theme of "kung fu" was picked first some people will upload some funky chinese strings or something but for people who don't have these sounds they can upload their own sounds from maybe a synth or youtube or something.

then at the end if everybody is limited to the same pack it is kind of fair but because everybody gets a chance to upload their own samples it gives people the opportunity to use their own sounds in battle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:52 am 
Awesome Member

... if I can be honest ... I like it how it is. One track, one drumbreak.. what else do we need? (Maybe we can talk about that bass... :D )
I guess this traditional form of battle gives the best possibilities to mess with others, anything else would be nothing like making music and compare it with other music but no battle at all... Hope ya understand..?!
There is nothing wrong with these ideas but for me it sounds hard to realize a fair competition with several samples and your own drum-libary... but try to convince me! The only things I don't like on these battles is 1st: Why are so few people voting... How can we solve that?
2nd: Can anyone beside me imagine a deadline of 5 maybe 6 days?
So, if you don't like a sample you'll don't have to wait so long...

(btw. let's keep it sp only)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:07 am 

Wax Inspektor wrote:
... if I can be honest ... I like it how it is.

yeah I agree, I like the battles the way they are but if this is what you guys wanna do then go ahead, I would probably be down too.

Wax Inspektor wrote:
The only things I don't like on these battles is 1st: Why are so few people voting... How can we solve that?
2nd: Can anyone beside me imagine a deadline of 5 maybe 6 days?
So, if you don't like a sample you'll don't have to wait so long...

(btw. let's keep it sp only)

1- yeah we do need more people voting. I was thinking about going to another site like fp, mpcforums, the roland MV site, ect and try to get them to here to vote but I thought about the potential problems and i dont know if that would work out too good. Maby within time we will get more people aware of the battles.
2-yeah maby we could cut down the deadline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:04 am 

Cutting down the deadline instead isn't a big issue for me, although I'd rather see it the other way around. :)

As for voting, it's just a suggestion and it might not really work out well, but perhaps it's an idea to try something different...

Things that come to mind; people could cast 3 votes instead of just 1? Or perhaps something radically different, like giving scores to each beat (5/5 = highest score), beat with the highest score wins. That way you don't lose a battle by just one or two votes...

www.myspace.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:17 pm 

I dont think you guys should change it cause its dope the way it is. Just add these types of beat battles every so often maybe? its sounds like a fun idea just to try it out. We should do it once and see how he turnout is and than decide if we want to do it again.

"if hip hop is soooo soooo soooo diverse now why the fuck cant i find it?" - Niq Names