It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:00 am

Post subject: Battle 114: Get your shine on
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:43 pm 

Good looking to those that gave me a vote on 113,that's cool,I haven't let anyone hear anything i've done for quite a while.also, good to know that more traditional style flips don't get overlooked by all you sp wizzards that can do shit with effects and processing i'll probably never learn....

Here's the new sample & drums- the sample's "shine on"- a song off the soundtrack for "the yakuza"- a 1974 mafia flick set in Japan.the whole soundtrack/score was handled by dave grusin.

The drums-cant remember where i got this,but it's a bunch of live one shots with a few live breaks thrown in.

I'll post the poll a week from sat.-the morning of the 12th.
peace

"Shine On"-
http://www.box.com/s/265707fe154e5066d701

Drums--
http://www.box.com/s/5894157902667cd73c2b

Post subject: Re: Battle 114: Get your shine on
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:46 pm 

Ah, man that movie & its soundtrack rules. Been looking around for it for a while now. Good choice! Congrats for winning the last battle too, it was well earned.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:06 pm 

thanks man,i appreciate it..yea,i downloaded this off of a site that had like every soundtrack you could think of,but i can't remember what it was.i was actually planning to put one of the more darker and atmospheric joints up,but when i heard this one i thought it would be cool to post something with that good old fashioned crate digger sound..plus,it's 9 minutes long,lol. kinda challenging too,finding good places to chop it if you're not sticking to 1 of the 2 time signatures.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:42 pm 

Really hesitated start chopping up a masterpiece like "shine On". Thanks for opening my eyes for Dave Grusin (didnt know about him :oops: ). But I like fusion jazz like Spyro Gyra, Weather report, Koinonia... It will be interesting to hear what you can do with this :idea:
http://soundcloud.com/gis_sweden/spb114-on-fusion

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:45 pm 

Here is my beat!
http://soundcloud.com/guicedorange/funkyshine

I'm searching for a new 64mb smartmedia, Can anybody help me?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:05 pm 

MAAAAN I really struggled with this one. Anyway this is what i came up with, any feedback is really appreciated.Thanks

https://www.box.com/s/1fb14e75ca2836805422

http://deathandco.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:05 pm 

good god...i'm retarded for picking this song,don't know what i was thinking.i mean,like gis sweden said,it's a beautiful,dope song on it's own..just far from prime beat making material,(it would definitely be a different story if we were allowed to slow shit down turntable style though) and i appologize for that. i wanted to put up something w/ a jazz/funk vibe,and make it challenging..but honestly these battles are about fun,and we should always have some shit you can just dive right into,instead of doing what i've been doing last night & some of today-tediously chopping tiny pieces and trying to fit some of them together...which is cool,but now that i think about it,it's much too time consuming for these battles when we all got other shit on our plates. i got something somewhat decent going,but damn,i really don't like spending this much time on these arena beats. so my appologies,i coulda posted something much more chop friendly and versatile. :x

btw,don't sleep on dave gruisin though,this cats got a huge catalogue,from straight traditional jazz w/ a lot of rhodes,piano & guitar,to fusion type and soul/funk jazz like this,to some spooky creepy ass atmospheric soundtrack/score joints(he actually did dozens of scores throughout the 70's and 80's-"THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR"-a must listen)...i shoulda gone with one of the spooky creepy.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:40 am 

all that being said here's what i got. again,not a huge ammount of time,wish i coulda used a low pass filter for the bass & a couple more things,but it woulda been way too much resampling,lol.the more i listened to this song the more it started to sound like the cosby show theme song,glad i'm done.

www.box.com/s/5ba762e2327f421fc496

poll will be posted by tomorrow afternoon,if nobody asks for a little extra time...

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:02 pm 

Yo a.D., its good that this was a hard song to chop! We can't have easy flips all the time, we need challenges to get better. Listening to this song had me wondering 'HOW???' for a day or two as well. But once I got chopping it was actually a really fun track to use seeing it's pretty busy musically & got so much stereo width. With more time I could've made a slow 90's trip hop monster.

That said, here's a microwave beat: Touched In The Head.

Really liking the tracks by a.D. & Ashley too.

Oi, there's also a blind voting/anonymous entry open battle I'm running at the moment, its got about a week left so everyone reading this: get on board!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:25 pm 

shit that beat's already a monster man,dope....i'm about to put up a poll

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:45 pm 

I just re-upped my track dude just when you set up the poll (uploaded the wrong take). The correct version is the one that's about 1:40 long, the link to Soundcloud still works though.

Mentioning this for the sake of clarity.