It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:05 am

Post subject: Re: 1st sample that caught your ear...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:54 am 

This is a dope thread :) - the first thing I ever did in regard to beat making was in the 6th grade when "liscensed to ill" came out. At one point in the song "Paul Revere" the drums, a backwords loop,play by themselves for a few bars. I had a little boombox w/ dual decks and made a long drum loop pause tape style-recording like 4 bars on to the blank tape,rewinding the beastie tape,recording another 4 bars,etc,etc,etc.....At this point,what like '86-'87?-I had no idea about pause tapes or that this process was something that got a lot of producers started,let alone how beats were created, I was just a bored little kid fucking around.

As far as some more "official" shit- I got an eps 16+ in like 95-96 or so-still didn't know shit about making beats though. The first sample that caught my ear was this trippy dark song by Jefferson Airplane-forget the name but it's a famous joint from the 60's,been in a few movies. But the first thing I actually fucked with was a simple piano/horn loop by stan getz that I put to an empty drum loop on Mobb Deeps "Infamous" album.

Ended up selling the eps a few months later- got an original eps in 98, but was still making basically looped up shit..though i did finally learn how to chop drums on that thing. When I got a sampletrak in 2000 is when I finally started to learn a little more than just looping. My beat making was always on and off till 05 when I got my second sampletrak(I'm on my 3rd now,lol) and I've been pretty steady on it since.....aahhh memories

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:37 am 

My first sampler was this huge ass Roland keyboard sampler a Roland S70 I think. It's sampling time was rather short, but I could hook it up to a tv set and do a little bit of graphic editing with it. I was into Blur at the time, so I knew I sampled them, but can't remember what song I looped. It came out really cruddy, but back then, I got a little bummed that it was only going to give me short samples I could pitch up & down with the keys, so I sold it. But if I still had it now, it could have been the ultimate lo-fi sampling keyboard for making dirty beats with.

I later got the SP202, but don't remember what I was sampling with it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:17 pm 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

that part in secret of nimh when she's being chased by the big ass rat :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:35 am 

i got a sampler cuz i wanted to flip venus in furs and white rabbit i thot about those 2 songs specifically for like 2 years before i actually bought one. . .oh and also low spark of high heeled boys by traffic

-with regards to the beatles, anyone heard wu vs the beatles? that remix to cream is dumb hot

soundcloud.com/corneliusthethird

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:29 am 

What's up everyone. I've been trolling these forums for quite some time now, and this is the first thread that's inspired me to post. Props to whoever decided to start this thread.

I've owned an SP-404 for about a year, but haven't had time to really learn the machine until the last month or so.

The first sample I ever made on the 404 is a sped-up, 16 bar loop off of Carole King - Tapestry. Not quite sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but I'm in love with the sample.

Speaking of Beatles samples, check this out. The break that starts at 1:34 is fantastic.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/114875/tope/Top ... owLong.mp3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:37 pm 

My first sample idea was thinking of flipping Money by Pink Floyd cuz i knew it was in like a 6/8 or 7/8 time and I switched it to a 4/4. I think still today it was the best chop i did and it was literally one of my first....fucked up...

My parents always had old motown and classic rock albums so...
Yes-fragile album i sampled the shit out of and sly and the family stone, temptations.

lol i barely fux with the funk anymore...it may come out funky, but its worldy :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:07 am 

First sample for me was I Put a Spell On You by Screamin Jay Hawkins.

I just looped the very first few measures

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:16 pm 

e

Last edited by dr5fiend on Sat May 25, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:57 am 

Castlevania on NES