It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:59 pm

Post subject: Drumbreaks Downloads.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:37 pm 

Hello,

...and welcome to my thread.

I've already downloaded tons of Breaks , like this 300 drumbreaks
Thing and other stuff.

....but I really do not have any Breaks that are just useful ( yeh, I don't know)

It seems like ,for example, i dont have any hi hats that are dope.

dont know but do you all have such Problems sometimes.

Post subject: Re: Drumbreaks Downloads.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:00 pm 

I hear what you're saying.
Those drum break sample packs seem to entice you to download. But they're only good for a one time listen then get tossed in the trash. Not really beneficial to be used in actual production. Although, you may stumble across something that you like enough to search out on vinyl and chop up yourself.
There's a couple things wrong with those sample kits:
For one, they're ready-made. So the actual chopping of sounds is not unique to you. And rather than help your production, it hinders it, starting the basis of a project with a cookie cutter copy and paste sound.
Another thing, is most of them breaks have been used a thousand times over. Using them only depletes your originality. Unless you can take something familiar and chop it up a whole new way to fit your style.

I take them for what they're worth, something to listen to.
They can be used as a digging reference. If the source is cited in something worthwhile, I'll seek it out on vinyl to add to my collection for later use.
Really, when making records out of records, you got to dig through actual vinyl to find stuff that you're tuned into. Obscure sounds that haven't been used in abundance and ranted about all over the internet.
Them drum break collections just shorten a search through a massive amount of music to pinpoint the parts any beat junkie would want to hear. So like I said, they're a decent archive to use as a starting point in the crates when record shopping.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:41 pm 

exactly...

I'm much more happy when I find a Break on some random vinyl or something, instead of just downloading all the breaks.

...but I dont live in a big city and I'm not able to dig every day or week ..
Now I have around 500 LP's but just 5 or 6 breaks and that's not enough.

so I keep on diggin to solve this problem....hopefully.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:32 pm 

If you can't hit a dig spot, there's always Discogs.com to buy records.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:46 pm 

Yes but I live in Germany , there is only ebay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:35 am 

There is quite a few people in Germany that sell vinyl on Discogs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:25 am 

I'm sorry I just gotta say that to me its misleading,especially to young kids starting to get into beatmaking,to dismiss classic breaks,and deem ,say,all 300 of those 300 breaks collection as useless,or played out.I can take 2 snares,2 hats,two kicks from sperate breaks,layer them,and create completely original kits that no one could identify,and have that classic sound...also take a roll,small snare hits and an open hat from one of them and make my own break w all the sounds...that again will be unrecognizable.and of course u can always layer these w kit stuff.I could also show u mad beats from this year alone where some of the best indie producers have used breaks featured in these well known collections. Something like that 45 ts rare breaks is dope too...as well as Paul nice break records or even the drum crazy series.I agree that there's nothing better than finding an obscure break,or some really dope one hits off random records..but u can create completely original sounds out of these classic breaks really easilly..and it'll never be played out to loop them every once and a while...its like a tribute to the art of beatmaking and the history of sample based music.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:47 am 

One of the funnest parts of being a producer is diggin', scavenging for old break records and uncovering unused treasures.
As Lord Finesse said in the Deep Crates documentary about those break compilations: "if you got those, you ain't a real digger".
Having those original records in your collection means something. It's part of being a fan of music as much as it is a contributor to Hip Hop.
Plus, on alot of those records, there's so much more dope stuff on them than that little break.

As I said in my post, I like to hear producers, like Damu the Fudgemunk, chop up classic drums in new ways and put together their own kits. That's a hallmark of originality.
I'm in no way against using the classic breaks. I just don't believe in using them from compiled libraries. Go out and get the actual records! You'll have fun doing it, and you'll probably dig up something new to the ear in the crates as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:13 am 

Get whatever u can get however u can get it.lord finesse can say that all he wants ,but lord finesse also had thousands of dollars on a regular basis to spend on records.lord finesse also puts out his own break collections,so its kinda contridicory.yea I can say that the dopest thing in the world is finding new obscure sounds..but its not my place to say I'm " against" anyone using a break from a comp...why should I care? Besides I wanna get to making beats,I don't got the time or money all the time to buy mad records strictly looking for drum sounds.but again I agree w you that there's nothing better,and more fun than finding dope drums on a random record,its kinda hard for cats w some limitations to stick to strictly that though,and there's no reason to.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:56 am 

2nding a.D. on this. Its not what you use, more how you use it. Resampling is your friend, so if you download a pack of classic & well known breaks there's no reason why you can't turn them into something totally different & fresh. One of the great things about sampling is that our minds are where the limitations lie.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:11 am 

Hunting for drums on records bores me. I'd rather be searching for a dope sample to flip. Drums I'll grab from anywhere; break collections, drum machines, apps, me tapping on a table.

I don't think many end listeners really care how long someone took tracking down a rare kick or snare and what pressing it came from. So long as the music is good that's all that matters to me.

Also I don't have time, money or space to collect records. I hate owning too much shit. In fact, I'm trying to get rid of stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:28 am 

yeah... you all are right ... i know it.

...and I already made some dope beats with the classic breaks
but sometimes I dont get my drums fitting to the sample...

...too often I use kicks,snares or hi hats with too much character(?) and when I play them alone they sound dope but they just dont fit with the sample...or other way round.

I was just frustrated but now I'm starting again and hopefully I make something good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:56 pm 

Who is lord finesse to say I'm not a,real digger cause I own a,break comp anyway,lol...I dig my ass off weekly..but when its all said and done-- if I can get a drum break off of a comp or a blog or some shit that's doper than anything I have in my hundreds and hundreds of records,hell yea I'm using that w no reservations.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:04 pm 

I don't know, it's a respect thing.
The reason you've even heard of these breaks was from producers before you going out and finding these records. Buying the records, cutting them up, and making hits out of them.
At the time, in the late 80s to early 90s, these records were in the dollar bins. At the most they may have been 5 bucks. They didn't have big price tags on them til people like Lord Finesse chopped them up and diggers got turned on to them and went hunting down the original vinyl.

Kids that are beat hobbyists aren't going to have a passion for collecting records. They aren't going to care about the actual music that they're getting their sounds from. They don't have a knowledge on the history.

Ignorance and a lack of respect is part of what makes me want to go back to the 90s and stay there. When there were reall music stores around where people would actually buy music. Not this abundance of all these cookie cutter copyists pasting together stuff that others found.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:17 pm 

killdevilhills wrote:
I don't think many end listeners really care how long someone took tracking down a rare kick or snare and what pressing it came from.

Beat heads study the methodology of the production from those that inspire them.

Of course they care. That's why they devoted
time to hunting down where exactly that particular sound came from
and money to putting together a mass collection as a shortcut to get to that dope sound.

If an artist comes to your studio and asks: "man that hi hat is sick, where did you get that sample from?"
You can either have downloaded it from YouTube
or
you can reach into your collection and pull out an actual 45 that you discovered

Which will they have a greater appreciation for?