It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:30 am

Post subject: Re: Drumbreaks Downloads.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:39 am 

You just gotta keep in mind that cats like the ditc crew-- once they got put on,they were doing much more than simply digging in dollar bins-- they were spending thousands upon thousands at record stores and conventions.and not just in the states,but all over the world.I believe it was show that once went into a record store in nyc and literally bought every single record in the store.goes without saying your average beat maker can't and probably will never be able to do these types of things.and it was after they got put on that they discovered the majority of the breaks they discovered..just as most rare breaks in the 90s were discovered by artists w signifigant budgets.money is a huge factor here.I can't spend 50 bucks on a foreign record w the hopes there's some ill drums on it..and I can't travel overseas to dig in dollar bins in turkey.but I can sift thru blogs for hours and upon hours and discover something no one knows about...ripped from vinyl.this is the kind of shit I'm talking about..I agree w u cats need to know and respect the history and culture..I come from the 90's-- I use all hardware,always have..I'm addicted to records and digging to an unhealthy degree,lol...and for real I fucking hate e digging,its incredibly boring.still,sometimes u just gotta do what u gotta do.and maybe doing that can someday put a younger artist in the position where they can be digging overseas and buying out record stores...also,honestly,I really have much more respect for what a kid can do w his drums than where he got them from...but I mean,simply cutting and pasting some shit that u know nothing about- that's a whole different story.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:14 am 

Quote:
but I mean,simply cutting and pasting some shit that u know nothing about

Right, kind of what I was getting at before. Whereas, kids finding these sounds to use themselves on the internet because of the circulated sharing of work from producers who came before them, digging to acquire an actual vinyl collection.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:51 pm 

you know some producers say sampling is soulless, so I think all these arguments about 'the right way to do something' are crap.

Do things the way you enjoy to do it. this is different for everyone.

at the end of the day do you make beats cos you enjoy making beats, or do you make beats because you want someone to revere you for the way you did it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:02 pm 

Its def more exciting to find a lesser-known (or new to you) sound from a record, but realistically for me (time, money, motivation) I can't get everything from vinyl - plus i sample alot of movie stuff - so I have a mix.

I used to despise sampling from youtube (sample snob, I know), and was using DVD movies, streaming Roku stuff etc - until I hit a motherload of b-movies/70s junk on youtube and I'm hooked with how easy it is. Plus a zoom H4 I got recently is great for field recording

TL;DR - I like both ways, whatever works for your sound. But I do get sick of ppl wanting everything handed to them ready-to-go in a zip file taking all the fun out of digging/making it sound unique

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:46 pm 

i'm too lazy to worry a whole lot about drums. I usually lift a kick and a snare from a record, then re-sample the shit out of the two to come up with more drums. For example, with a little bit of creativity, it is pretty easy to make good hat's from a snare via re-sample.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:51 pm 

cartesia wrote:
you know some producers say sampling is soulless, so I think all these arguments about 'the right way to do something' are crap.

Do things the way you enjoy to do it. this is different for everyone.

at the end of the day do you make beats cos you enjoy making beats, or do you make beats because you want someone to revere you for the way you did it?

+1000000000000000000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:52 am 

Went digging today and found this break on a dexter wansel album..was all excited,honestly its a pretty rare thing for me to find a break in the dollar bins.I figured it wasnt mad obscure but didn't think it was something that well known or used that much .looked it up and its one of crate kings top 30 breaks of all time,lmao...and on 300 breaks. Goddammit....still goes to show,me being the old timey ass hip hop head that I am still didn't recognize it. Guess that's an example ( to me anyway) that using these breaks collections isn't out of the question. Unless someone's a hardcore digger or record collector,they're not really gonna recognize a whole lot of them. And that's not a very common thing w the average listener. I mean this was used on rakims I ain't no joke and I still didn't even recognize it by itself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:01 am 

For me, I sample from records that I listen to and LIKE/LOVE/RESPECT.

Could be something that I got handed down from my mom's 70s collection. A record I picked up at a yard sale from an old guy that told me a story of how he bought it at a table behind stage of a concert.
And yes, I even use YouTube sometimes to find music that I may have heard in a commercial that attracted my ear - research the group, and go hunt to purchase the vinyl.

I like the notion of making records out of records.
So the recordings I make I like to be made from vinyl that I've collected, listened to, and become attached to. They have some sentiment to the tangible quality of owning that piece of music. I'm intrigued by the tactile feel of handling a record, and the ability to be inventive, perhaps slowing down a hand clap and creating a different snap to it. Or, like fresh-produce illustrated:
Quote:
make good hat's from a snare via re-sample

My production is HipHop, based off sampling different musical genres on vinyl. So I'm biased towards that style and the adaptations of it.

Not that I don't like other production techniques.

I can appreciate the creative aspect of a producer going out and finding some obscure sounds off some "test record", or, for example, De La Soul sampling a French translation vinyl for their "3 Feet High And Rising" album.
That's creative.
Hooking up a video game system into a sampler and pulling 16-bit audio from a cartridge that they used to have to blow into prior to popping in so they could play it.
That's creative.
RZA sampling some foreign martial arts movies off VHS.
That's creative.
Frank Zappa using a kazoo in "Freak Out!".
Creativity.

cartesia posed a question:
Quote:
do you make beats cos you enjoy making beats, do you make beats because you want someone to revere you for the way you did it?

I think recordings are a success if the methodology of how the art was made is studied by their fans and used as an ispirational tool to create other music.
Even if the aspects of how the sound came about was already in use prior. A group can "update the formula with the times and everything", to quote the late Guru.
Heck, a slew of people copped 303s and recorded to 4-track tapes based off Madlib's work. And their results are impressive in their own right.
With samples, the music itself already existed, but is manipulated in a new way. Look at the interest Pete Rock gained from his remixes.

It's definitely dope to hear an already used break cut up a new way. Damu the Fudgemunk does this task with excellence in a number of his tracks.
And beat diggers are always on the hunt:
Quote:
Went digging today and found this break

That's ill a.D. that you came across that record. But before you went looking up who used it, you should have just chopped it up and put something together. Doing that in your own context would have naturally resulted in something unique to you.

There is definitely no one way to produce hip hop.
The progression of music is admireable. I'm inspired by the adaptive styles producers use to influence their sound. And commend the originality in their individual craft.

My apology if I sounded like instruction was given as to a particular way things should be done. I am no authority. I am as much of an audience as am a purveyor of sound.

There is no denying good music. If it sounds dope, you got to respect it.

But, if a producer chooses to use the method of making a record out of records, I'd respect their efforts more if they were using actual records they used due diligence to hunt down.
Not some batch of mp3 files archived from the use of others and downloaded into a pirated program.
I'm in agreement with blavatsky:
Quote:
I do get sick of ppl wanting everything handed to them ready-to-go in a zip file

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:17 am 

Did that actually..as soon as I heard the break I sampled it, and made a quick 8 bar sequence w some piano chops I'm working on. Then I looked it up. Usually how I do it...I'll find something on a record I like and play around w it ,see if I like it. But before I go into the all the work it takes to make a full fledged beat,I'll Google the sample and see if I can find if its been used or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:25 am 

Btw I agree w u for the most part..one of the reasons I don't like e digging is that to me it feels like cheating. That's just the feeling it gives me inside,personally. It's not even that I honestly really think its cheating,it just feels like it to me. For me I love the whole process of digging,coming home w a stack of records and listening..my favorite part of the whole process is hearing that sample for the first time ,sampling it,and playing around. It's just fun. Also much more fun and enjoyable for me to go through records on a turntable than click a mouse. That being said,I'm about to flip something off a blog ,'cause besides the break,I just got a bunch shit records,lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:03 am 

Quote:
it feels like cheating

That's exactly how I feel about these types of records:

Some of the stuff I have took me literally years to find.

But I love YouTube for listening to music. Let's me know quick which album a track is on. And I dig the "similar artists" function on last.fm
These internet sites help me write up my wantlists.
I got a Numark PT-01 that I bring to the record store to preview records before I buy them. There's so much in the Gospel and Garage Rock sections that isn't posted on the internet yet.