It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

Post subject: SP-555 level problems
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:59 am 

hey guys

my first actual post here. Thanks for the useful stuff, workarounds etc.

SPs make me laugh, so many things are so hard to do, it lacks even basic sample editing (pitch, pan) and you need all these workarounds and tricks and fooling the OS but in some ways I find it makes it more fun.

I'm using my SP for shows alongside decks for live effecting, triggering samples and running a mic through. But i've found a major problem. Firstly, the output level of the SP-555 is really really low. I played a festival at the weekend and we ended up having to run it into a separate little premixer to try and pump some more gain into it.

Usually I'm running it into an empty channel on the DJ mixer and i always have to crank the gain full and end up cranking all the EQ knobs full to try and compete with the decks. At this rate I'm going to have to get rid of it because that's its main application for me.

The second issue concerns the mic. I run a dynamic mic into the XLR slot and even with the mic input level on zero (and yes, i have turned phantom off) the mic is WAY WAY louder than anything else, especially the SP's own sample output. I basically have to ride the master volume constantly and there's no way i can get a decent balance.

Is anyone else getting this problem? is it my unit? Any solutions?

I already all the samples pumped. I'll export them to a wave editor just to make sure they are max max max volume at source, but most of them are.

Cheers

Parker

Post subject: Re: SP-555 level problems
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:34 pm 

just to confirm, it's definitely quiet. i took it round to a mate's pro studio the other day to do a track and the level was waaaay lower than the Juno 106 we were using as well.

the only workaround i found for live use was to export everything into a sound editor, max all samples using an effect ("amplify" in Audacity, for example) and reimport using the Wave Convertor software which is a bit of a shlep.

You can also amplify samples by applying the EQ effect with everything maxed and resampling. Also a shlep.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:44 pm 

Check the internal processing level, page 51 (cancel + start/end/level + ctrl 3). It goes from -3dB to 12 dB (and this is one of the settings that is not saved once you power off).

There's also something about not using cables with resistors.

I've seen people complain about the mic in being much louder than their samples, again... it may be related to the internal processing level.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:22 pm 

thanks, gonna check that out right away