It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:33 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:10 am 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

DR.Sample303 wrote:
Well I want my friggin' Sp-420 with blunt apparatus.

then buy a sp-404 or 555. take out any 2 bolts on the faceplate with an allen key. replace the bolts with a bowl and a mouthpiece. inside the 404/555 have a thin rubber tube connect the bowl to the mouthpiece.

http://www.myspace.com/juxtkid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:13 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

Dj Frantic wrote:
you are right. It works the same way as the 404 but with a couple more features. And there are work arounds.

It's possible to do your sequence stuff on the PC, right? Otherwise, dang .. I might be more interested in a SP 606 too.

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:39 pm 

Ya, you can sequence with ne external sequencer. If you dont like the SPs sequencers the easiest thing is to get an old school external sequencer like a Roland MC-500(II) They are cheap and DOPE (much better than even an MPCs sequencer)

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:20 am 

Yeah, technically there isn't a sequencer, but this isn't too bad in my opinion. A way that I plan to work around this is to use each pad in a bank as a different track. This works if you're playing a(n) instrument(s) into the imput. You record each part on one pad and then essentially have a 12 track sequencer (I don't understand why there isn't 16 voice polyphony). Then you just trigger all the tracks at the same time. You just have to make sure they all have the same tempo :P. Another cool way to do "sequencing" that requires more live performance is to have a different loop on maybe 4 pads (or more if you want) that would each be the backing track for a different section of a single song. Then on the other pads you could have different types of hits and riffs to make things interesting (something I like to do is have a mini "drum kit" on 4 pads consisting of a kick, snare and an open and closed hi-hat. This alows you to mix up the drum beat in real time. You could then also have some riffs or vocal samples to throw into the mix. Then on top of all of this you could plug in a keyboard, guitar, or mic (or anything else you want) and solo/sing over the hold song. It's a pretty versatile piece of equipment if you think creatively.

I don't mind a lot of the SP-555's flaws, cause I don't plan on looping in front of a live audience, but I really wish there was more than 15 seconds for loop capture. I hope Roland fixes this if possible.

Sorry, long post :P

Edit: And of course you can use the pattern sequencer too if you do things a certain way.

Last edited by Dehalles on Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:48 am 

I was also looking for a sequencer built in.

Seeing as there isn't one, do you think i'd be better off going for something in the MPC range?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:31 am 

People, people...there is a sequencer... I use it all the time :) Its a pattern only sequencer with 1 track. Its realtime recording and editing only. Quantizes from 4th - 32nd notes and be up 2 99 bars. 4/4 time only. I Think its under "recording patterns" Or "pattern sequencer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:53 am 

i think he means a midi out sequencer, like for a microkorg or something, in which case no sp has this function and a SP is not really for that, that's more of a mc/mv/fantom type function. this is why i feel the mpc vs. sp arguement is so laughable.

now if you want an external sequencer there are SOOOOOOOOO many ways to go. you could even get one for free on your pc if you look hard enough.

perhaps to clear it up we should always refer to the sp as having an internal sequencer only.

finally, any sp with midi out can send very basic commands through midi like mtc(i think), and pattern stop so if you're running midi to a synth with an internal sequencer you could theoretically start/stop that program. the 555 does have this option(i think). but, the microkorg does not have a int.seq. so this would not be possible, however the little alesis does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:44 pm 

hello everybody,
new here and i have been doing alot of research on the sp-555. im really close to buying one, i am just trying to find out as much as I can and thats how i found yall. anyways, what is this 707 that people are talking about waiting for? I cant find anything on the net. thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:40 pm 

i noticed cubase sonar le is bundled with the 555. this is a daw right? does anybody use it? do you like it? that could be used with a pc to create songs, not only on the sp but controlling your synths as well, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:06 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

Well, I had huge latency problems (huge slowdowns, gaps in the recording, sloooow response and so on) with it using with my SP-555 back then and never really got it working. Still, I'm sure it's a lot more useful and better when you have no latency problems.

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:13 pm 

I dont have a PC so I cant use sonar. But ive used it with live and it integrates amazingly well.