It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:49 am

Post subject: KP3 and Roland SP-555
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:40 am 

Hi Forum,
I've been thinking about getting my hands on a Korg Kaoss Pad, particularly the KP3. However, now I am not so sure when I've learned that it only has 4 sample banks. My dream would be two SP-555's however I don't have the funds to afford that. Does anyone currently use the Kaoss pad with their SP's. Is it worthwhile? Should I just save up for the 404 or 555? Any advice is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: KP3 and Roland SP-555
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:15 am 

hey, ive never used a kaoss pad but two sps is an awesome combo. get a 303, 404, or even a 202 is cool along with the 555.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:00 pm 

Do you currently own an SP-555? If so, I think you should definately get the KP3 over yet another SP. No question as far as I'm concerned.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:09 am 

Yes I currently own a sp-555. What are the possibilties with an sp-555 and kp3? Why is it worthwhile?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:41 am 

nferns88 wrote:
Yes I currently own a sp-555. What are the possibilties with an sp-555 and kp3? Why is it worthwhile?

With two SP-555's you get plenty of power, but it would offer nothing new in terms of features. The KaossPad 3 would give you a whole range of new stuff, very exciting sample manipulation & awesome effect tweaking. You can run a sample through the 555's effects, then tweak the same sample in realtime on the KP3, while you sample it into the unit. Then you can sample it back in the 555, alternatively export it over.

I wouldn't even consider this for a second. It's a no-brainer in my view.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:43 am 

nferns88 wrote:
Hi Forum,
I've been thinking about getting my hands on a Korg Kaoss Pad, particularly the KP3. However, now I am not so sure when I've learned that it only has 4 sample banks. My dream would be two SP-555's however I don't have the funds to afford that. Does anyone currently use the Kaoss pad with their SP's. Is it worthwhile? Should I just save up for the 404 or 555? Any advice is appreciated.

It strictly depends on what you want to do. I liked the way I could create loops on KP3, but 4 loop banks were quite restrictive, so I decided to go for SP-555 hoping to get the same workflow but with more loop banks.

Unfortunately, it was a mistake. SP-555 is only capable for loop playback but not for creative loop processing. It's loop capture feature is poorly implemented, and the length of captured loop doesn't match with the length of original. They have compensated it by trimming the loop, but it's not really precise and the loops obtained that way are not suitable for exporting to DAW.

SP-555 is a strictly live tool. I now only use it for playing back tracks as it is still cheaper than selling the thing and buying a laptop with a sound card.

Now about using SP-555 and KP3 together. Alas, even being midi-synced you can't match loops from SP and KP-3 more than for few bars, so the idea of recapturing SP-555 stuff processed with KP3 wouldn't work in live environment either. The only way to go is just processing SP-555 signal with KP3, which can be fun sometimes but definitely not worth the cost of both devices. SP has a nice effect section on it's own, so basically you will pay for few KP-3 effects SP-555 can't mimic.

Finally, you should keep in mind that loops on SP-555 should have exactly the same sample length in order to match perfectly or you will have to retrigger them from the sequencer, which is also very far from being neat to use.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:55 am 

It does depend on what kind of musical tool you need and how you intend to use it.
I bought a KP3 and played with it for a while, it had some neat effects on it and i liked being able to loop stuff live with it. But, I ultimately returned it and bought a 555 instead. You get all the pads and banks for whatever kind of sample you want, and usb interface, etc. I like the 555 better for what I use it for.

If you already have a 555, it would be cool to hook up to a KP3, but also a 404 too, right? Would you want the KP3 for its effects or for its sampling/looping?

Another alternative is getting some guitar or other types of effect pedals.
Plenty of options though
;)

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:25 pm 

if you would be using the kaoss pad as another sampler then i would say no. but i would still think about buying one for its effects capabilities. i think a member in the band animal collective uses one in addition to his 555 to further effect his samples but i dont know what kind of stuff youre doing so that may not be the way to go for you.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:04 am 

Yeah the main point of the KP3 is to use it as a looper not just a sample player.. 4 loops is awesome, if youre into that kinda thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:37 pm 

I have a KP3 for Sale if anyone is interested. Also selling my 555