It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

Post subject: Re: Gap of silence when capturing a loop. Is there any fix?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:38 am 

The SP-555 is not primarily a loop capture device, it's a sampler/beat making box that happens to have a loop capture device.. that's pretty clear

If you're a musician that wants to play instruments and loop, overdub loops, layer the loops up without stopping.. probably shoulda gone for something with more realtime looping features like the RC-50 or electrix repeater or KP3/KOpro

having said that, plenty of people use the SP-555, its just a matter of gettting used to when you have to punch in/out to get it right I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:53 am 

Thanks for the response. It was both unnerving and encouraging at the same time.

If it is a matter of skill, workouts or complex button combos, timing being perfect for stomping the loop pedal at the beggining and end of a loop and not assuming it will trim: these things i can do. I just need to know that it has the functionality I was intending by getting it as a serious production tool in the studio.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:50 pm 

Hi everyone.
I'm not sure if I experienced the same problem, but I feel this is what I've also experienced.
When I capture a loop from a song with exactly 130 bpm for example, and I create a perfect loop the SP-555 show 130 bpm, but the sample cuts off early, it sounds really bad.
When I change the markers so that it plays the loop correctly, the bpm changes to a lower value, which isn't correct.

My guess is that the SP-555 uses some strange timings which causes the loops to cutoff early when setting the correct bpm-value.

This is something that I think should be fixed with a firmware update.

Greetz,

boempa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:11 am 

Ok, I've been playing around now and found a workaround for the problem I have with the bpm-matching.
If a track would say 130 bpm at tapping, and the sample is cutoff early, I would set the bpm to 128, and the resulting sample would sound good, going in a loop.
Then I set the bpm of the sample to 130 and it goes in nicely with the other samples at 130 bpm.
Hope this helps for other ppl as well.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:45 am 

Loop capture works well when in free (measure) mode for recording live blips and blops of real instruments (non tempo sync)
I've used this for looping various things and it still retains the energy of a live performing instrument track.

Yeah, I've noticed that slight split-second glitch if I record a clean, "pristine" loop... which can be annoying for trying to record perfect loops. However, that's why it's a good idea to record to a rec software like ableton.

Anyhow, one solution for the glitch during a live capture is to record the measure in silence first, then over dub

Beats using a DD-6 as a looper :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:48 pm 

Hi sorry to drag up an old thread but I am trying to do something simular and I was wondering if anyone knows how to do this?

I am trying to create several loops of bass guitar. At least one for each section of the song that I want to record. So I can create a structure and layer over the top.

I have an SP555 and the loop capture is sketchy at best (The end / beginging of the loop sounds really odd cutting in and out).

I have just got a KP3 and a Kaosilator Pro coz I keep reading on here that people use these to capture a riff as a complete single iteration of a loop and in some way move it over to the SP?? How is this posible?

I can capture on the KP3 but then it reloops and I lose the end of the loop.

How does using the loopcapture as an overdub work? Does this solve the problem? Can I use this to capture the KP3 loop with the right amount of silence on the end?

Or do people record the full number of iterations of the loop that they want at a time from the kp3?

The KP3 itself only lets me sample one riff at a time because if I tap tempo again for the next riff, the first riff detunes as it struggles to keep in time with the new BPM. So I want to save it off to the SP really.

With all this kit - there must be a way!!

Thanks in advance for any help..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:35 am 

Update:

For anyone else struggling with this. Ignore loop capture on the 555, you can hear how out it is when you have a proper length loop. Note that I have got the pedal and it can't fix this. There is a bug here in loop length as previous posters have said. Thanks for the heads up! I have put so much time into this pedal and prey technique!!

The KP3 is a master at taking a sample as a full loop. You can move the full loop forward and back after recording to get what you want as a full loop - where as on the sp editing start point changes the size of the loop.

This video I found shows how to do this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgiyqfRR86I&feature=related

I then got it onto my 555 via the computer (didn't want to use a pc in my hobby music but so far I can't see a way of getting a full loop with the SP alone.

But using the info from Hurling Deverish's Xtips..
http://sp-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5106&p=61738&hilit=name+your+files#p61738

..It is possible to import complete loops onto the SP via the PC drop into root and use SP Import feature.

All this info is here somewhere here in different threads (best resource on the net) but it's the first time I have had full loops on my SP and I wanted to save others the pain wasting your time with loop capture.

Music is a hobby that I get a small amount of time to do and loop capture has wasted so much of it since getting it. Thanks Roland!! Half assed implementation of this feature has meant that there are songs that I might never work on. Fix your mistakes!

If anyone can cut the PC out of this process I'd be greatfull to know how.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:47 pm 

Ok, first off as said its not perfect, but you can work with it.
I use it all the time.

A. Get a foot pedal, triggering with that can be tighter.
B. Auto start sucks for exact timing, don't use it
C. Trick from this forum (EDIT I see this in a post above, explaining anyway) ....start metronome, set bars to 4, loop capture 4 bars of silence, hit the start exactly on metronome tick.
Leave metronome running, now record on top, that loop will be near perfect.
D. Just get it 99% right (better longer than shorter for looping) and quantize that shit in the sequencer , if you retrigger on time it will be fine and you won't hear the wonkyness..

Agreed if you have used like a KP3, its frustrating because that thing NAILS the loop once you set it, and your other 3 samples/tracks will also always be on beat. With the SP555 you'd need to do 4 perfect loop captures and trigger those in a sequence to achieve, and there is still room for error with timing. I've had this thing for a couple years and I still fight with loop capture now and again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:48 pm 

The thing that stands out to me there is that you sample nothing on the first loop and then over dub. Can't say this made any difference to me when I've tried it before but like you say it isn't an exact science is it!

The other thing is that the sequencer sorts out the timing of the loop. That I think is pretty key.

So maybe the over dub kills the clicks and the sequencer provides the timing? Maybe even that's why it makes short loops - so they can be sequenced without them running into each other?

I'm going to try all this tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback!