It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:08 am

Post subject: using the SP-555 live
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:14 am 

Hey SP Forum,
I've been using the 555 for live performance with my band for the past couple of shows. I usually jam running the sp-555 through the same amp i use my guitar for. In live venues I find that going DI usually makes my samples sound like shit. However, going through a guitar amp doesn't sound too great either. Does anybody have any suggestions? EQ settings? Amps that sounds better than others?

Let me know....thanks.

Post subject: Re: using the SP-555 live
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:57 am 

Ever thought of using a regular PA system?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:41 pm 

yeah, most of us come from more club-oriented setups, so theres usually a PA/mixer to run into...

from what I've heard, using a bass amp rather than regular guitar amp will be better - because guitar amps are designed to accentuate certain frequency ranges.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:19 pm 

Hi, I use mine live all the time, usually in a band situation. It should sound best through the PA (ie - DI or line-in) if it's not it's either a crap PA or a crap sound man. Using any guitar/bass amp would be ok, but it's gonna distort to some extent and a guitar amp will filter any bass and maybe the high treble freq from your samples. When going straight into the PA via DI or line-in I find that the sound is often fine out in the venue, but rubbish on stage through the moniters. I find that sound men at guitar band type venues often don't seem to quite know what to do with electronic instruments, especially ones like a sampler where anything can come out (drums, melodic instruments, etc)

Hope this helps

odd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:06 pm 

at my last show when i went through DI the samples sounded lower and grainier. Through the guitar amp I use they sound alright, usually i have to turn the hi's way down. I wish i could EQ my samples.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:06 am 

look into a keyboard amp if you want to stick with the amp setup. i have one (its actually made by roland) and all my samples come out great through it. since theyre made for keyboards theyre designed to handle a much wider range of frequencies than just a guitar or bass amp would. hope this helps.