It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:33 am

Post subject: What can be accomplished with a mixer?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:10 am 

I have an Sp-555 that I recently got and I have been using it for live performance. I hear that a lot of SP users (404, 555,606) utilize a mixer. (WARNING: The following may sound dumb) What can the combo of a mixer and the sp-555 accomplish? I heard samples sound better? Is this true?

Also, I really enjoy making music with the sp-555. I was looking for a new 'toy' along the lines of an sp-555. I've been looking at the KORG KAOSS Pads. Any suggestions of anything on the market currently?

Post subject: Re: What can be accomplished with a mixer?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:55 pm 

hey man mixers are great for combining two pieces of equipment, like an sp and a turntable, or two sp units, or two turntables.
im not sure if there would be any advantages to having a 555 and a mixer alone, but i bet some people out there could do something cool with the combo.

as far as another toy i know two sps are a great combo. maybe look at one thats battery operated to add some versatilty to your sampling.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:44 pm 
Most Creative Producer of the Year '09

we talking a dj mixer or regular bread an butter one?

a dj mixer will atleast be useful for the isolator 3 knob eq if nothing else

if your real mixer has an aux. send thats great for effects.

but you really need more than one device to get the full use out of either

for a while i was running two sound cards from my computer for djing into the real dj mixer

sp-555 on one side
audio interface on the other

and ableton sending the outs to both

this allowed some mixing and looping but its a bitch to set up and totally ruins the way everything is setup when i write music so its currently disabled

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:37 am 

So you have Sp-555. Ok, no need for you to have mixer
at this moment. Samples will not sound better if you'll run 555 trough the mixer... okay if you have SSL or API console sure, but this shit cost like a mercedes man.

Let's say you want to have a synthesizer to play some bass/lead sounds along with your drum loops from 555.
You can plug a synthesizer directly to Sp-555 mic/line input and still don't need a mixer. But if you want to run like 2 or more machines (synths, samplers,drummachines) all together connected in MIDI rig you will need something(mixer) where all your audio signals will come together... where you will adjust leves of each source and master level that will be outputed to your amplifier or your active monitors.

so...
If you mean to record your music to computer/sequencer
you don't need mixer. You just run everything trough SP-555 track by track and mix in the computer.
But if you want to have live setup, so you can jam with all your gear, you will got to have a mixer. Number of channels that your mixer will need, depends on how many synths/samplers/drummachines you want to run at the same time. When you will come to this point you will probably aquire some outboard FX to spice up your sound... and mixer will make this possible with send/return patching.

Entry level mixer with good sound and 6 channels would be Tapco blend6 series.

Hope this is understandabele.
cheers, Crumb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:43 pm 

Has anyone of you ever tried the SP-555 in the 3rd channel of a DJ mixer along 2 cdjs?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:41 am 

A DJ mixer allows you to handle multiple audio signals with ease. Some DJs use it to make smooth transition from one song to another. On the other hand, other DJs without a real mixer use a digital mixing software as it functions like a real one and obviously a lot cheaper than hardware.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:30 am 

nferns88 wrote:

Also, I really enjoy making music with the sp-555. I was looking for a new 'toy' along the lines of an sp-555. I've been looking at the KORG KAOSS Pads. Any suggestions of anything on the market currently?

I have the original kaosspad minis (FX/Synth). And the FX is my fav, because there’s plenty of different filters, flange/phase, compression, distortion, glitch, dirt, and even some synth sounds. The yellow synth Kaosspad mini ONLY does synths, drum loops, and gives you NO fx. However, if you have both like I do, chain the yellow to the red to your SP, and then you can use both hands to splash on fx to whatever sounds you coax from it. I haven’t upgraded to the better & bigger ones yet, so mini is one way to go, but if you see a good deal on a KaossPad 3/Synth, or Kaosspad Quad, definitely grab it.