It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pm

Post subject: Syncing Sp 555 with Ableton live
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:06 pm 
Most Creative Producer of the Year '09

lots of fun to be had with this!!!!!!

i needed to just make sure the samples on my 555 wouldnt drift with the beat i had made on ableton so i went into the midi preferences and turned on sync for the 555 in/out

turns out when you do this the patterns actually send start stop messages through usb! maybe this is obvious but it suprised me

so you can have all your patterns on the 555 and ableton will follow along perfectly its as easy as having the beat inside of the pattern itself

i love midi.

Post subject: Re: Syncing Sp 555 with Ableton live
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:38 pm 
555 Award Winner '09

dude ..thats dope ima do that tonight lolz ima a noob yo 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:11 am 

Hey there... I know this is a little old now but could you please step me through this. I want to be able to Sync up the Sp-555 to use as a control for ableton.. so when I do loops on the SP-555 it's perfectly in time with what is happening with ableton. Do you also know if I can trigger off different scence in ableton using just the sp-555 ???

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:04 pm 

this method is for controlling the 555 with ableton

but if you want to control ableton, select the 555 in the midi section everywhere it allows

then EXT will appear in the top left

if you click that...the clips in ableton will only play when you start a pattern in the 555. but if you stop the pattern the clips will stop

and then just select the measure length you want on the loop capture and yo can grab stuff in time

but really....theres no possible way to midi sync any loop function on any gear...its supposed to be separate. as long as you get the tempo right in both the 555 and Ableton it will stay in time

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:44 am 
555 Award Winner '09

dont that shit start to drift with the 555?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:31 pm 

drift no, but the tempo fluxuates in the decimal values

it was a cool experiment but i havent found too much use for it

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:47 am 
555 Award Winner '09

lol dude keep on exploring im loving all your little 555 findings haha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:04 am 

i just hooked this up to fruityloops this way and its works fine. you have to set the master sync in the midi settings to work with the 555 and enable the 555 in the remote control section. "viola" fruity starts when your pattern starts. nice find dervish! you be finding a bunch of ish! now all i have to do is figure out how to resample through fruity because (like you said in another post) fruity is monitoring everything and you get that echo. but if i figure it out, it be real nice to resample using some vst effects as well as the onboard ones. that will be my find for the 555 community, then one day "ILL RULE THE WORLD"!!!.......
with beats
peece yaw
Springwater

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:42 am 

HurlingDervish,

Trying to control Impulse triggers from 555. See that MIDI signal is getting into Abelton via the little box at top right and have chosen Sp-555 from dropdown, select "in" and Channel 1. Likewise in preferences I've selected all MIDI available for 555 but fail to see any EXT button.

What am I missing? Thanks a ton for sheddin wisdom in this forum.

Peas.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:19 am 

'Allo-- first time poster here, so forgive me if this post is in bad form. I see that this thread died out a while ago, so I'm not sure if it's appropriate to 'kick the (potentially) dead horse', or to post a new topic despite my question already coming up in this thread.

Anyway... scissorlips (or anyone who's out there), did you ever find an answer to your question? I'm in the same boat-- I'm a 555 newb who has scoured the manual and online resources, but failed to figure out if I'm syncing my 555 to Ableton in the extent that's possible.

I successfully installed the driver, and have routed the 555 into Ableton in all the ways that I see are immediately possible, but can't seem to get Ableton to recognize the 555 when trying to do MIDI mapping.

My specific goal is the same as scissorlips in his last post-- I want to be able to trigger Impulse pads via the 555 (which it seems I can do now, but based off of the trigger's default note sends (i.e. Pad A-2 = MIDI note C1, with each pad up going up a half-step in MIDI notes, if that makes sense). I'm hoping to be able to MIDI map and set things up more intuitively.

It's entirely possible that I'm missing something really simple, but I just haven't found it yet.

Thanks in advance! :oops:

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:30 pm 

Hi, whar u r asking seems very boring midi lining up notes blah blah. A workaround would b to throw your stuff in drum rack instead of impulse. Yeah u can do anything in drum rack that u can in impulse set up choke groups etc. if u want to control say adsr or whatever u do in impulse just set up macros in drum rack. This way u can control midi with 555 and just move your samples around in drum rack to get them in order of how u want to play them on 555. Hope this helps. Imo this is why nothing compares to chopping on sp. so much faster than any software or app ive tried. Peace

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:43 pm 

EndorShores, I really appreciate the speedy response!

My intention is actually to get more 'off the grid', and less rigid or quantized--I just wanted to use my 555 pads as triggers. I was trying to do it in Impulse since that's generally my go-to instrument for making percussion racks (more out of habit than knowing whether it makes the most sense). I tried setting things up in Drum Rack, as you suggested, and it worked like a charm.

Ultimately, you're probably right in thinking that I should just learn the workflow of the 555 independently from any software. I'll definitely play with that more-- right now I'm coming from years of strictly software use (for cheapness reasons), and it feels more natural to be doing things like sample-editing and loading via the computer. My desire is definitely to move away from being too 'in-the-box', though.

Many thanks for the advice!