It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

Post subject: Who's going to buy this?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:13 am 
303 Award Winner '09

I was just wondering if anyone is thinking of buying one of these, I would love to have one but since I have a 303 I don't think I would have two samplers that aren't battery powered and I would buy the much cheaper 404 on ebay from some sucka that can't use it, heck maybe it will end up on ebay for the same reason and I wouldn't have to pay such a big retail price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:49 am 

trying to find out more about its abilities as a Midi controller thru the USB - can it be a control surface for Able ton Live (for example) - and not just the pads but all fiddly knobs?

if that was the go then this would be the shit over my 404. No comparison at all - but the manual seems a bit coy on that detail - the adverstising is claiming it works with everything. - But whats that mean - just pads as triggers? -
yawn

might as well connect an ipod to the pa.

Buzz will do that for you as a free tracker,

Was fiddling with the cheap version of acid with some dodgy samples and shaking my head over my 404 - in half an hr i had samples chopped re-arranged - re-pitched, sliced - re-tempo'd (yes the effects were dodgy) - but without that re-sampling degradation .

but what i come up with an half an hour would take days if not a week on the 404 itself - and this is very cheap software. The top dollar stuff must be like sex on wheels.

And yu could re-equ stuff right there ina second in realtime - what a pain on the 404 to balance things around.

the word re-sample just gets sourer and sourer

Still luv play the sp404 but its becoming more a toy with each passing day. folk dont care what the thump comes from as long as it comes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:12 am 

Software is the most powerfull thing out there. But it just doesnt work for me. Anyhow, I will definately be purchasing the SP-555. From a sample based/turntablist standpoint this machine offers me alot that the 404 doesnt. Also, the fact that I can trigger my EPS with this is just crazy. Im diggin this thing. I do plan on playing live also. So this would be great for that in addition to my tables.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:26 am 

I will definately be purchasing the SP-555 too dj frantic...is a wonderfull tool in live...together with sp-404...is a nice portable setup in my opinion...i have a friend live in london...but he visit NY all the time...he come to buenos aires soon...(with my sp-555).... 8)

http://www.reverbnation.com/vivipedraglio
http://www.soundcloud.com/vivipedraglio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:31 am 

So far as controlling software goes, I would assume that it's the same as the 606 - very possible, but not without a few teething problems. Roland don't provide templates like, say, Korg do - you actually have to have some knowledge of how midi works to get it to happen. Having said that, it's pretty wild controlling software with a d-beam :shock:

I will definitely be getting one of these at some stage, as for me the combination of live looper and sampler is very nice indeed. My missus doesn't want to upgrade from the 500 yet, but after six more months of the MPC being a pain in the arse she will!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:31 am 

Depends on the price. Ive kinda moved into software, but the 404 is the only tool i use live and in the studio its the perfect effects box. I would only get around half of what i paid for for the 404, and this 555 doesnt offer enough.

Although, if i was in the market for my first main sampler i would jump it in no time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:45 am 
Funniest Member of the Year '09

its always nice to have a couple 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 sp boxes. FOR REAL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:31 pm 

lol...thats the truth.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:46 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Yeah it does look sick, where can I see the manual for the sp-555?. As for the Acid pro thing I've made tons of dope beats in it and it's does automatically beatmatch almost anything, but I hate starring at computer sceen it feels too much like I'm at work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:41 pm 

Yes Acid does automatically beatmatch, but not with anything like 'perfect fidelity'. Listen to a track at different tempi and you can hear the stretching going on. ewwww.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:37 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Yeah no matter how you slice it(pun intended) you have to chop a sample and put it on beat yourself no matter what you use in order to make it sound perfect, I prefer my ear to my eyes when putting a sound on beat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:51 am 

DR.Sample303 wrote:
Yeah no matter how you slice it(pun intended) you have to chop a sample and put it on beat yourself no matter what you use in order to make it sound perfect, I prefer my ear to my eyes when putting a sound on beat.

That's the truth. Especially with kick drums - if you line them up by 'eye' there will almost always be phase problems...

I used computers for a loooong time before getting proper hardware, and I learned a long time ago that you have to turn the screen OFF if you actually want to listen to what you are doing :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:34 am 

Who advocated Acid to be the be all and end all - i was comparing the speed of workflow - a cheap ass software to the sp404 -

I;m not that dumb to know you can't stretch samples to infinty and beyond.

yr saying the sp404 will do it better? wow

and the software happily permitted you to place beats by feel tapping a keypad) rather than click mousing - so it was doing exactly the same as "the box" in that respect -

thats criticism doesnt apply at all.

compare the process of just copying that pattern, eh? or amending and changing it. good god. all these muck-around workarounds -

and rendering the whole thing to a wave or mp3 - thats what thisi thing is belatedly trying to compensate.

it's interesting the thread moved in that direction -

considering that the sp55 is being pushed because of it's software integration - and yu will certainly be paying for it

you are providing a more compelling argument to not purchase it and stay with a sp404

:)

its an sp404 with a usb bolted onto the back of it - and its not cheap at that.

unless it's control surface capabilites are on par with current - and much cheaper models on market - it's not much of an upgrade - chrissakes - its still only 6 stereo samples isnt it?

this thing is catering to a nostalgia kick.

if yu are agreeing to not use the software - why would yu buy it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:54 am 
303 Award Winner '09

Chillax player, nobody is hating on the fact that you use software, we were simply having a conversation on opinions of software programs, I've used software too and find that I happier to not be making music in a way that doesn't at all feel intuitive or musical to me it all ends up being a headache, setting midi parameters and such, too much fiddling. Don't get me wrong I build computers and troubleshoot them as well so I know they are powerful tools but not musical, not in my opinion, besides nostalgia is the shit, I'll stay in the past with my tape recorder while you live in some crappy 1984 future where you computer turns you in for sampling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:18 am 

no worries dude - sorry if i cum across all heated.

laff now when i tell yu i go back and forth with my sp404 with a an old rinky dink 4 track recorder - an mrs 4 -

it fuelled by dang-old smartmedia cards - why do i use this vintage wreck?

got a midi in that works good with a drum machine and has got nice big fader buttons to mix into the sp404 for overdubbing.

the drum machine can kick off the 404 as well to match everything on other tracks for overdubs.

yu should see folks faces when they see the mrs - yu shitting me?