It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:59 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:24 pm 

yeah i'll stick to my 404.. at least it has midi in/out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:52 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Last edited by Euclid Ov Oåklånd on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:17 am 

If they took maybe half of the functions in that and put it in the 404 I'd be good. Only thing either machine is missing is more banks / better backup management.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:07 am 

is great.....and the pads? hope are real pads... :? :)

http://www.reverbnation.com/vivipedraglio
http://www.soundcloud.com/vivipedraglio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:03 pm 

Don't be so sure about the lack of batteries guys...

It looks like it takes the same 9v adapter as the 404.

Also. Check out the video Here http://rolandus.com/products/productdet ... jectId=902

At the beginning of the video there is a shot where you can kind of see the bottom of the unit. If thats not a battery compartment under there then it must be some sort of expansion slot.

A portable sampler with Phantom power that can use a condenser mic? Thats the stuff dreams are made of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:44 pm 

It's obviously aimed at DJs (RCA connections WTF?). Loop Capture is a rip off of the Kaoss Pad sampling idea.... again DJ -centric. The pads are the same as the 606s which is nice - but not if you like MPC pads (they are WAY more sensitive).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:56 pm 

It does say it has ALL of the sp404 features and then some...maybe it will have battery power ? thatd be crazy. Also... I just watched the video about the loop capture. I was a bit disapointed when I saw its sampling time was 15 seconds...thats still usefull but it could have been more. But like I said... i just watched the video and it seems u have about 15 seconds for each overdub. I time each loop he made and they where each about 9 seconds long and he used 4 loops. So thats a bit of a relief. it does seem like a really dope feature after all. And for those of you who havent noticed... they put the manual up for download.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:58 pm 

Just done some digging on some Japanese music tech sites and they seem to think that the price will be around 59,800 Japanese yen which at the current rate of exchange = 240.02 British pounds sterling. Obviously that is not a definate price and I know it will cost more in the UK (everything does) but it does give a ballpark kind of figure.

I have to say I am amazed at the amount of negative comments about this machine in this thread. 404 owners wanted velocity sensitive pads and you have them, plus double the cf storage, usb connection and a pile of other useful features as well. Obviously if you are happy with what you have then fine but you can't really dislike a machine because it is better than what you already have. That is just insane. I own an Alesis Micron, should I hate the Waldorf Q because it is a better piece of kit? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:51 pm 

the thing is that its basically a 404 with a couple extras. I think they were trying to do 2 things... 1) keep the functionality of the 404. The 606 and 505 are great machines but they are slow to work with compared to the 303/404. 2) They didnt want to spend more money...after all...they are still an evil corporation :)

But, im still diggin it. Also...I confirmed no battery power by checking the Roland US page. I downloaded the manual also. I think most of the effects section may have been revamped (praying for useable pitch control!) The way alot of em work is different from the older SPs.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:04 pm 

Spot on Frantic, it's kind of a hybrid of the 606 and the 404!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:35 pm 

Dunno where peeps get the idea the 606 is slow to work with; that lies with the user imo. Loading kits, chopping samples, using multisamples, applying multiple effects and editing sounds are all far far quicker on the 606. The 505 WAS slow to work with; that's why it didn't really fly...

The 555 would be quicker on the fly on stage, granted, but I don't think that's what being said here. Any machine is only as quick as the skill of the user (plus load times!). :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:30 pm 

with the 404/303 and soon 555, you can do the following right from the interface - chop, loop, reverse, gate, switch bank (without stoppin the sequence).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:04 am 

Um, same with the 606 you know... there's not really any hidden menus like there is on an MC unit (you should try to get your head around the MC-505!!)..all the controls are on the front panel and clearly labelled. Only D-Beam settings and the Master Compressor are 'hidden' in menus - and even these parameters can be altered without stopping the sequence..

You can't edit samples on a fine level, create mute groups etc without stopping the sequence, but with so many options it would be a bit confusing anyway. Why anybody would want to edit a sample while the sequence is playing is beyond me anyway; not even a computer will allow that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:17 am 

i think its just a matter of taste. but i do believe the 404 is much quicker to get your ideas down on. But that super filter is dope!!!! so i am glad they added it to the 555.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:34 am 

The super filter really is cool - I just hope that it's on a separate DSP than the MFX, as it really shines when you filter an effect...