It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:42 am

Post subject: Getting Recycle seamless(?) loop into 555
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:15 am 

G'day. Back trying to play around with my 555. I sliced a loop in Recycle and got it sounding seamless to my novice ear. Changed the BPM up a little, and export to a single 16bit AIF. After importing using Wave Converter (Mac version) and playing on the SP, wasn't seamless anymore. Sounded like a click at the end of the loop. More likely a user error on my part in Recycle, SP problem, or something else?

Post subject: Re: Getting Recycle seamless(?) loop into 555
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:19 am 

The 555 easily has the best time stretching algorithm if you bother activating it or reading the manual. After recording /loading a sample, if it doesn't fit your BPM correctly turn on the line in and HOLD the mic button, count CLEARLY 1,2,3,4 and after 4 the 555 should stretch or compress whatever sample is playing to fit that BPM. Using the tap button will do this in reverse and adjust the BPM to fit the sample.

SP-303
SP-303SX
SP-202A

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:55 am 

CAPTAIN SPACE KARATE wrote:
The 555 easily has the best time stretching algorithm if you bother activating it or reading the manual. After recording /loading a sample, if it doesn't fit your BPM correctly turn on the line in and HOLD the mic button, count CLEARLY 1,2,3,4 and after 4 the 555 should stretch or compress whatever sample is playing to fit that BPM. Using the tap button will do this in reverse and adjust the BPM to fit the sample.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:11 am 

Clicks at the end of a sample are usually from the audio not being cut at a zero crossing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_crossing

If you zoom all the way in on the wave form you can tell. Cuts that are made on the peaks or troughs will make your speaker jump from one position into another unnaturally, causing that 'click' sound. This might not have shown up in Recycle. It's been forever since I've used that program, but you might be able to fix it by adjusting the decay or release settings in the transient shaper. I can't remember atm. The other way to fix this is to go back and cut the loop again at the closest zero crossing. Sometimes there isn't a good zero crossing before the next beat, another trick is to zoom way in (in whatever wave editor you used to cut the loop before loading it into recycle) and highlight a tiny portion of the wave at the very end and fade it out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:51 pm 

Thank you, that's helpful

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:31 pm 

CrateCurator wrote:
Thank you, that's helpful

No problem. Sometimes the click is at the start of a loop also, but you don't hear it until the loop repeats. You can do the same thing by adjusting the cut or a tiny fade in.